MR2 SpyderChat banner

Looking for a functional front lip

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  bentoddh 
#1 ·
Noticed the front end getting a bit light at high speed even with full bracing anyone have any good suggestions? Function over styling always suits me better 🙌
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood

See less See more
#9 ·
The front end lifting is more a function of the chin spoiler than a traditional spoiler...at semi-legal road speeds anyway. I would make sure you have this piece before looking to add additional aero, unless you want the lip for aesthetics of course.

#12 ·
There is a stretch of A road in my area where I can hit 80-90mph and at that speed the lift is noticeable. Hence the idea of bonnet vents ( I have removed the plastic cover under the bonnet and trimed the spare wheel well ) and chin spoiler or lip.
Nice; see you have Carolyn´s brace!
Good thinking concerning the free flow too.

Not sure though if you still feel the need for bonnet vents with the chin lip fitted and perhaps after that the the ´tear off´ ridge on the rear.
The chin lip reduces the pressure under the front just that bit and the ridge reduces turbulence. The two may very well give a more stable feeling.
It is not that the standard car is únstable (this to appease the purists). I only went the next stages as I took more weight off.

#14 ·
Not too sure what you are refering to.
I have a genuine ducktail spoiler - this helps?
It for sure helps. It does the ´same´ as on the Audi TT. Between brackets because on the Audi it addresses a serious problem which the MR2 does not have. The fundamental thing though; turbulence behind the rounded bum, still benefits from a ridge where the airflow detaches.
Ducktail is basically the same as a rubber lip, just more than necessary for that so it looks better.

You can google on ´Kamm tail´ and follow the bum aero from there.
Spyder aero would further benefit from the rear insert being open, Thus not exhaust heat shield, no crash bar (the Malian one is a step forward). This would add some air flow into the relatively lower pressure zone behind the car and so reduce drag while improving flow though the engine bay.

As you know I went further, many here think óver the top, but then that is a favourite pass time for me. with the silly big wing. Contrary to urban myth it doés work on a road car: It has nothing to do with the ´road´ bit, but with the weíght. On my dainty thing thus three times as much as on the average US ´road car´. Four or more times than on hybrids/EVs.

For the rest the best thing for aero is.... just flóg the thing, rip the tarmac along the dotted line!

#17 ·
It for sure helps. It does the ´same´ as on the Audi TT. Between brackets because on the Audi it addresses a serious problem which the MR2 does not have. The fundamental thing though; turbulence behind the rounded bum, still benefits from a ridge where the airflow detaches.
Ducktail is basically the same as a rubber lip, just more than necessary for that so it looks better.

You can google on ´Kamm tail´ and follow the bum aero from there.
Spyder aero would further benefit from the rear insert being open, Thus not exhaust heat shield, no crash bar (the Malian one is a step forward). This would add some air flow into the relatively lower pressure zone behind the car and so reduce drag while improving flow though the engine bay.

As you know I went further, many here think óver the top, but then that is a favourite pass time for me. with the silly big wing. Contrary to urban myth it doés work on a road car: It has nothing to do with the ´road´ bit, but with the weíght. On my dainty thing thus three times as much as on the average US ´road car´. Four or more times than on hybrids/EVs.

For the rest the best thing for aero is.... just flóg the thing, rip the tarmac along the dotted line!
Aha...I see what you mean - I reinstated the heatshield when installing the TTE backbox. I was debating whether to leave it out.

#11 ·
The chin spoiler goes under the front bumper & far out of sight...it's an OEM piece. That is different than a traditional front lip/spoiler. That is what I would make sure you have in place first if going for function.

#19 ·
My DIY spoiler. Found the idea on the internet somewhere where they suggested using plastic yard edging from Lowes. It is a very heavy composite but flexible plastic, maybe 1/8th thick. I pop riviited it to the existing small spoilers. I also cut off about an inch on the width. It still drags sometimes. I wonder if it flutters any at high speed, but after two years, it is not enough to loosen it up.I rarely drive above 70 mph, never feel the front end lifting. But this is very subjective.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.