MR2 SpyderChat banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi there sweet set up are you happy with it notice any weight saving feel?? Any electrical draws? Did you ground up front? Thanks 🙏
Yes I grounded it up front by the passenger strut tower grounding point. The battery box I bought with the battery but you can find them on eBay made speficially for the pc680. Haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a picture. Full-size sealed battery that says I could mount it any which way. The bracket is a little jank but I don’t have a welder so it had to do. It’s fucking sturdy aside from a little extra support needed on the right side.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
An interesting location. You're technically correct. It is in the front of the car and accessible from the Frunk. There really is a lot of wasted space up there huh?

·
Registered
115 Posts
An interesting location. You're technically correct. It is in the front of the car and accessible from the Frunk. There really is a lot of wasted space up there huh?
Yeah I really didn't want to sacrifice any space since it's so sparse. I had to do it to fit an air to water and a reservoir in the old location

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
FWIW, I got my sketchy super cheap lithium titanate battery in the mail, and did some testing. It was advertised as 40Ah but these cells are either defective or used since I only got around 32Ah out of them. Weight is 15.6lbs, but in reality the BMS is kind of unnecessary and this package could easily be under 15lbs. So it's comparable in nominal capacity to the stock group 51R lead acid on the MR2 Spyder. Pics here: Lithium Titanate Battery - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

Now the cool part: I drained it nearly all the way and plugged it into a Porsche 981 2.7L. It cranked quite slowly at 10.7V, but the engine started. It actually started again in that state after I reset the BMS (some shutoff got triggered when I turned the ignition off), but the starter was spinning the engine for quite some time, so I decided to let it charge. Then it charged at around 100 amps for a few minutes, and at 11.2V, I started the engine 6 times in a row, immediately shutting it off, and it was cranking strong.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts