MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have an 03 MR2 with the 2zz-ge/6speed swap and I'm looking for a mechanic or DIY'er who has experience with thr 2zz swap. Everything is in the car it just needs some sensors, exhaust and coolant lines connected. The guy who started it moved away. Will pay for the work or for an estimate on finishing the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
pwnzor (one of the moderators here) told me "I'm in Sugar Hill. If you need any work done on your Spyder, the best place to take it is OTP Automotive in Winder." Winder is not in Atlanta, but also not that far away. Personally, I live in Lawrenceville (near Winder) but I have not had need of professional service yet. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pwnzor (one of the moderators here) told me "I'm in Sugar Hill. If you need any work done on your Spyder, the best place to take it is OTP Automotive in Winder." Winder is not in Atlanta, but also not that far away. Personally, I live in Lawrenceville (near Winder) but I have not had need of professional service yet. Good luck.
When you recommend OTP automotive have they had experience with MR2's or 2zz swaps or if they are just a good shop that deals in modified cars?

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
Not sure what I could do but I AM in Atlanta this week prepping a property for rehab.

How do you stand on parts, do you have everything? Has the wiring been updated for the 2ZZ?

Im laying rubber in Jasper right now getting a tune ready for Tail Of The Dragon this weekend. But I could be persuaded to take a look if you're not out of our way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure what I could do but I AM in Atlanta this week prepping a property for rehab.

How do you stand on parts, do you have everything? Has the wiring been updated for the 2ZZ?

Im laying rubber in Jasper right now getting a tune ready for Tail Of The Dragon this weekend. But I could be persuaded to take a look if you're not out of our way.
That's the thing. I'm not sure what I have or if I have everything because the guy who knew this stuff moved and the mechanic who did the wiring is...well sorta suspect. He did the wiring and got power to the car but he started mentioning some sensors missing and I'm not totally sure he was telling the truth
He also wanted to cut the cross member which I know is a bad idea so like I said I don't know if what he says is true.
But if you could give it a 2nd set of eyes I could cover lunch and some gas in your tank. I'm near Cumming, Ga. It's about 25 min North of Atlanta.

·
Super Moderator
2,950 Posts
When you recommend OTP automotive have they had experience with MR2's or 2zz swaps or if they are just a good shop that deals in modified cars?
They are very experienced with motor swaps. More with BMW's than anything else, but they've done K20's and K24's.

The thing to do would be to call Ken and just tell him what you have. You can tell him Matthew sent you... he loves that. (770) 274-4450

The most important thing here is that Ken is an honest business man who will not jerk you around.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
That's the thing. I'm not sure what I have or if I have everything because the guy who knew this stuff moved and the mechanic who did the wiring is...well sorta suspect. He did the wiring and got power to the car but he started mentioning some sensors missing and I'm not totally sure he was telling the truth
He also wanted to cut the cross member which I know is a bad idea so like I said I don't know if what he says is true.
But if you could give it a 2nd set of eyes I could cover lunch and some gas in your tank. I'm near Cumming, Ga. It's about 25 min North of Atlanta.
Only in California should you even consider messing with the rear cross brace. Even then I would go with spacers instead of cutting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They are very experienced with motor swaps. More with BMW's than anything else, but they've done K20's and K24's.

The thing to do would be to call Ken and just tell him what you have. You can tell him Matthew sent you... he loves that. (770) 274-4450

The most important thing here is that Ken is an honest business man who will not jerk you around.
Thank you. I'll do exactly that.
Only in California should you even consider messing with the rear cross brace. Even then I would go with spacers instead of cutting.
I agree not to mess with it but why would California be an exception?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you. I'll do exactly that.

Just to be clear on what we're talking about I said cross member and I've heard subframe so I'm not sure if cross member and suffrage are the same thing but just in case here is the part the header hits and what the guy wanted to cut into which I saw as a bad idea.

BTW: I re-did and panted every car part while it was out of the car removing any rust.
Wood Gas Metal Composite material Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tire Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

Tire Bicycle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Glasses Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Sports equipment

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,985 Posts
CARB has some very ODD rules. Basically in CA you have to use the Celica manifold, uncut and to do that the cross brace is in the way. Everybody else just places a few slices in the manifold and makes it clear or uses an aftermarket manifold.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
CARB has some very ODD rules. Basically in CA you have to use the Celica manifold, uncut and to do that the cross brace is in the way. Everybody else just places a few slices in the manifold and makes it clear or uses an aftermarket manifold.
Yes I saw this article on line and wanted to ask everyone about it. It doesn't look so hot but I was told that the stock celica header and cat are really good as far as flow and. I'm interested in this since I have the Celica header and cat and I heard using it makes it easier to pass inspection which we have in Atlanta.
So is the best option as far as price and passing inspection and does it work as good as good as monkey Wrench?
Photograph Stonemason's hammer Font Adaptation Wood
Wood Font Metalworking hand tool Art Auto part
Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

1 - 18 of 18 Posts