MR2 SpyderChat banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
It has BC Racing BR-RA coilover with "special" street springs rate (4kg front / rear 6kg).
Ground clearance of the MR-S : 6.29 inches (stock) -- My case > 4.7 inch (front) / (rear) 5.1 inch.
Front lip was from Fyralip (Ebay). Unfortunaly no more produced. I am the only one MR-S's owner who bought this product.

For street use and 17 inch wheels, I recommend to not go lower than 5.5 inch ground clearance.
Lowered lower, tires will scratch on fender lane. Tire grip and driving will be hard on bumpy roads.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
For street use and 17 inch wheels, I recommend to not go lower than 5.5 inch ground clearance.
Lowered lower, tires will scratch on fender lane. Tire grip and driving will be hard on bumpy roads.
Counterpoint to this, my car has 17 inch wheels and I have 3 inches ground clearance at the center chassis brace. 4 inches at the side under the doors. My wheels only rub slightly under very specific circumstances. Like I mentioned before I have made some very long distance road trips with this car in it's current configuration. No problems except the occasional speed bump that has been paved over too many times and sticks 6 inches up in the air.
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Hood

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes, depend of living city/country and car using. A daily car is supposed to be drove on all kind of roads without stucking others or being stucked.
3 inch ground clearance is too low in France. I will have to pre-organised roads with good surface. Without that, there is a point where the car will be stucked.
Driving freely without thinking about road surface or preferring aesthetic of a car are personals points of views and compromises.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Is there anything I should do to my car as of now?
It sounds like this is your first car...if that is the case my advice would be simply learn to drive it before you put much money into unnecessary mods. If you're unsure if you can drive it on the highway you definitely shouldn't drop several grand on modifications then go take a corner in the rain.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
It sounds like this is your first car...if that is the case my advice would be simply learn to drive it before you put much money into unnecessary mods. If you're unsure if you can drive it on the highway you definitely shouldn't drop several grand on modifications then go take a corner in the rain.
Alright, I'll run it on the highway sometime and see how I feel :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Speaking of driving, when should I learn to downshift? I can shift into any gear without jerking my car and drive pretty smooth now. I've tried downshifting sometimes but the car kinda like pushes me back and moves me up a little. The car kinda almost stops and then pushes up a little bit if that makes sense. I'm not sure how to explain it

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You don't rev match when you down shift, hence the car jerking. That puts a significant strain on the driveline so I would learn to do that asap

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
You don't rev match when you down shift, hence the car jerking. That puts a significant strain on the driveline so I would learn to do that asap
Can I only downshift at very low rpms (1k and below)?
Or if possible could you write a step by step way to downshift (very short and brief)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
As long as you don't stall the engine or redline you can upshift or downshift at any rpm. You would benefit from some self directed learning on how to do so. There are a million videos with very good explanations showing the process & the tach as it is done.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts