MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day that I hae plenty of pick up of the line and up to 4.5K but any higher and I lose power and it doesnt accelerate near as well. I do have an aem CAI ith the dry medium. I feel like it migt be contricting it. Any body else use this type of filter?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Funny you should mention this. When my car was stock except for lack of precats, I would lose power above 4.5k RPM. Now that I've put a Weapon R Dragon intake on, it's fine until 5.1k RPM. Maybe you just need to redline it more often to give the ECU some more time to remap its a/f mixture at those high RPMs. I'll defer to the more serious experts when they chime in.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Main Cat?.. Chunks of the Pre-Cat still in there?..

You can do a Pressure Check on the Exhaust System, to see if it's Clogging..

Cap

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Take out one of the O2 sensors from the manifold. Screw in a compression tester. Tell Cap what the pressure is at idle and when revved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the exhaust open, or do I need to do someting else?

Take out one of the O2 sensors from the manifold. Screw in a compression tester. Tell Cap what the pressure is at idle and when revved.
With the exhaust open, or do I need to do someting else?

·
Registered
22,970 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I don't know if this is the issue, but you may be on the right track with the AEM. If there's a vacuum leak, or any kind of restriction like the filter being pushed up too far on the tube, the ecu will step in and create a condition exactly like you described. Had it happen when I was installing mine, twice actually, until I got all the hoses and filter adjusted just right.

If you're not burning oil noticeably (might wanna check your level) I wouldn't be completely worried about precats just yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts