·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi guys, I come across a the OEM supercharger from a lotus elise S, this one

does anyone know if it will clear the firewall?
I'm just guessing here, but based on those pictures, I'm pretty positive that it would hit the firewall. It looks like the Lotus has a lot more space between the engine and firewall than a Spyder does.
Having said that, if you got your hands on an OEM Lotus supercharger, who cares? Knock it out and bolt that sucker on!

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont have it yet, the seller is holding it for me pending if i can find out if its going to fit, the charger only has about 2000miles on it.

i really hope it can

·
Registered
138 Posts
I really hope you can too. And I hope someone with real knowledge on the subject gives you the thumbs up on this project. I would love to see that install.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sent an email to Matt from MWR, im waiting to see what he says.

best part, im getting it for the equivalent of 1000 usd, the owner fitted a blitz kit to his car.

hoping i can figure it out, as im planning to fit the motor in first week april,

·
Registered
138 Posts
$1000? If it doesn't fit, I've got no emotional attachment to my firewall. Just saying...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
If it fit without hitting the firewall wouldn't you think alot more people would have this installed on their cars already?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
+1 it wont fit. You will have to cut the firewall.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
i have not measured it but seen it on the lotus itself at the shop & they too had a spare set removed from another lotus. from the looks of it, it's likely to hit the firewall (my honest opinion). one spyder here was tempted by the spare lotus SC...but he didnt go for it.

then again,%2

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks like the general consensus is that it won't fit unless you cut the firewall...

So, how much would shipping be to 98686? :eusa_think::lol:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
A few years back there were a number of posts about 2zz converted cars just bolting on the Greddy 2zz kit which supposedly fit without modification. Believe it was an MP62 blower.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
A few years back there were a number of posts about 2zz converted cars just bolting on the Greddy 2zz kit which supposedly fit without modification. Believe it was an MP62 blower.
This is correct. The 2zz greddy supercharger kit for the celica fits the 2zz spyder without cutting firewall.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
definitly not going to cut the firewall, the greddy kit has the charger mounted in a sort of slanted fashion whereas the elise one the charger is completly flat, i see how the greddy one would fit,

whats the actuall distance between the firwall and the end of a stock intake manifold?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I didn't know you could supercharge a spyder. Other than the differences between supercharger and turbo is there any reason to super charge a spyder other than easier install and more power at lower rpms? Or maybe a better question is there any reason to supercharge instead turbo other than personal preference?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I didn't know you could supercharge a spyder. Other than the differences between supercharger and turbo is there any reason to super charge a spyder other than easier install and more power at lower rpms? Or maybe a better question is there any reason to supercharge instead turbo other than personal preference?
First, decide the issue(s) you are addressing. Fixing gutless-off-the-line (without launch tricks) = positive displacement s/c, period.

Crazy mid range and up power, turbo

A belt driven impeller (powerdyne, rotrex) has more turbo characteristics but maybe less heat under the hood and less high end potential.

All can be a PITA unless you pick equipment and tune carefully.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i checked the clearance under the engine bay today, its about an inch as mentioned before.

not going to go with it,
apart from the supercharger itself not fitting, i will have to use the OEM lotus alternator bracket that moves the alternator futher away from the block as well to make room for the charger, and that would mean another hole in the firewall.

Matt from MWR says that you guys dont get the elise S in the states so hes not too familiar with the charger and its dimensions

Thanks for all the assistance guys, its fine it cant be done but it was worth finding out anyway.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you can make a bracket you can probably move the alternator to the back of the engine

1 - 20 of 22 Posts