MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, haven't posted in awhile. My wife's spyder is acting funny. To start off when the car is cold and you start it, it has high idle 1500-1700 depending on how cold it is. Then after the car warms up, and you stop, it idles really low, almost feels like the car is off, and when the car is that low you can hear an annoying squeak coming from the engine bay that just keeps going until the idle is brought back up closer to 1000 rpm.

Now at first I thought maybe it's my belt/tensioner/assembly that was causing the squeak/low idle, so I did some research on here and bought the new parts, and replaced it. The car still is doing the same thing. Anyone else have experience with this? Now it seems upon closer listening, the squeak is coming from somewhere is else in the engine bay. Like I said, the squeak does NOT happen at all during driving, or when idle is close to 1000 RPM. Other than this annoying ass problem, the car is golden to drive.

Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated guys.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's currently happening to me too. It happens when i'm taking off in the lower RPMs. But once i'm about 1000 it's fine.. I was thinking it could be one of my belts as well.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
how are u and your wife should stop playing in the car haha jk.

check your serpentine belt. i replaced mine. and the "squeky" noise went away. the old belt was missing some "ribs on it.. which made it slip on the pulleys at times. replaced it. car finally stopped making funny noises

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
watch your battery, temps and power steering while not moving. If any of those seem off could be a sign of something else going on with one of the belt driven systems. Change the serp. belt first though, may be as simple as that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ack, Thanks for the responses everyone so far. I would have replied sooner, but had been feeling like utter crap this past month. Now that all my health issues are cleared I can finally get back to the car.

Well I changed the serpentine belt, the assembly and everything. IT STILL SQUEAKS! hahaha, so frustrating! Im not sure what else it could be.

Temps, and everything are fine at idle, seriously, the car drives fine, except when warmed up and stopped at a light it does this nonsense. Hmmmmm, I'm puzzled now, not sure what else it could be.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm having similar issues with mine - haven't replaced the belt, but it seems like some of the bearings in pulleys are worn - repacked them with grease, to see if it helped a little before going and replacing them, but if anything, it seemed to be worse...

Mine only squeaks before it gets up to temperature... Actually really only does it for a few minutes after start, but it's really annoying, and I can't work it out...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'm having similar issues with mine - haven't replaced the belt, but it seems like some of the bearings in pulleys are worn - repacked them with grease, to see if it helped a little before going and replacing them, but if anything, it seemed to be worse...

Mine only squeaks before it gets up to temperature... Actually really only does it for a few minutes after start, but it's really annoying, and I can't work it out...
replace your belt. this happened to me on my old car also... either replace the belt or the belt tensioner is too loose

·
Registered
28 Posts
Next time you're at a light and hear the squeeking, pull into a parking lot, open the hood, and try to find the noise.

I'm guessing it's an attachment bracket: Either a motor mount or muffler support.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine's definitely engine related - it's only on cold start, and goes soon enough, but is horrible nonetheless...

Might have a go at replacing the tensioner - although it would be good if there was an easy way to artificially tighten it, and check if there's a difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts