MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2003 Spyder with about 14,500 miles. My question is should I be concerned with hoses, belts, seals or anything like that. I will be driving about 900 miles from place of purchase to home.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Personally I'd be concerned with every belt, hose, & seal (add wheel bearings & flat spotted/dry rotted tires to that list as well). 900 miles is far enough that I'd want at least the serpentine belt & tires to be somewhat new...and the brakes to have a firm pedal feel. The rest can likely be inspected & sorted out once you get home.

Has the seller told you the age of those items? I wouldn't be surprised if they're circa 2003.

·
Registered
35 Posts
+1 to what FormInFunction said.

Consider asking the seller if they'd agree to an independent mechanical inspection at a local, well-rated/reputable shop. They'll be able to look it over and give you a decent idea of what condition everything's in.

When scheduling, do have a few things lined up that you'd specifically like them to check. My shop pulled the O2 sensors and showed me photos of the pre-cats, for instance, before I did my fly-and-buy from TX to OR for my MR2.

·
Registered
'00 Absolutely Red, BC Racing Coilovers, PPE Exhaust
87 Posts
+1 to Sigma re: pre-buy inspection. Always get one. We also did a fly-and-buy like Sigma that was only 500 miles (Denver to SLC) compared to your 900, so I bloody-well made sure to get a PBI before I immediately drove the thing over the highest point in the Federal Interstate System. And my foremost request was for photos of the pre-cats, followed by oil check.

I'd go so far as to have the car inspected at a Toyota dealership if available, but that's just me. Whomever you choose, contact that shop prior to bringing it up with the seller - that way the shop knows they are working for you and not the local guy who brings the car in. But at the end of the day, don't panic too much - these things are Toyota's after all!

Good luck, and post pics!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate every one's input and comments. It is at a Toyota dealership and overpriced to begin with. Still has original tires, hoses, etc. The Sales guy said they left the original tires on it as that's the way collectors want them.. Either way I'm not buying the car now as they won't negotiate any at all. Thanks again!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I appreciate every one's input and comments. It is at a Toyota dealership and overpriced to begin with. Still has original tires, hoses, etc. The Sales guy said they left the original tires on it as that's the way collectors want them.. Either way I'm not buying the car now as they won't negotiate any at all. Thanks again!
Wow no negotiations with original tires, even? Jeez. I thought MY dealer was stingy for not wanting to replace tires from 2012-2014.

Sorry it didn't work out. Best of luck finding a good one!

Should mention, with any pre-purchase inspection, ask the inspector to accelerate hard - like trying to hit 80 on the freeway on-ramp.

My guy's shop was a few city streets over from the dealer and they didn't notice the very obviously failing clutch. It granny-drove back to TX just fine but the clutch was gone within a month of me getting it home.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Zut alors! $21K?

pwnzor is right: everything should be replaced at that price. And even then... wow. The sales guy claimed that collectors want these with the original tires? Did he also say that audiophiles want Justin Bieber's full collection on vinyl LP?

Offer 15k and some nudies of Oprah, and tell him to keep your number on file.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just did this 6 months ago. Bought a 11K mile MRS in west virginia and drove it to utah, It had brand new tires. I wouldn't have done it on 20 yr old tires. It had all new fluids but original hoses and belts. Went off without a hitch except for weather related stuff. WV was having bad rains and flooding at the time but the car worked great. The only issue since has been a bad shock seal, I suspect from sitting a lot, that made me replace the rear shocks, and the junk tires the dealer in WV put on the car I have since replaced with better ones.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,107 Posts
So, what would be a good price for a practically new MR2?
$21k is not out of range for a practically new car.

However, a car with low miles and all rotten rubber bits is not "practically new".

It is, practically old as f**k and unsafe to drive. Dealerships should be prohibited from selling any car on tires more than 5 years old simply as a matter of safety.

The incredible markup gives them plenty of extra money to cover a new set of tires and belts.

At their cost, a set of tires, every new belt and all new fluids would be around $250.00 including the labor of their underpaid mechanics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts