MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently may car has been making a low pitched grinding noise. I only heard it in 4th and 5th gear at first but I can faintly hear it in all gears now. It is only when you accelerate, if I'm coasting I cannot hear it. It's mostly noticeable in 4th and 5th gear at highway speeds. Also if you rev the engine with the clutch engaged you cannot hear it, only when the transmission is spinning. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pedal Down -------------> Clutch Disengaged
Pedal Up ----------------> Clutch Engaged

How old is the transmission?
What type of fluid is in it?
How many miles are on it?
Sorry, if you rev it with the clutch disengaged. Transmission is stock, has about 120k on it now, the clutch was redone about 15000 miles ago by a dealer, so it should be fairly new fluid. As to what fluid they used I am not sure.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GL-5 fluid is not good for the Spyder transmission.
I put GL-5 in mine, and it started making noises almost immediately.
Put some GL-4 (Redline MT-90) in it and drive for a month or so.
If it still makes noise, or the noise gets worse, start shopping for a new trans.
This would be an excellent opportunity to install a six-speed and/or LSD.

Rebuilding the transaxle costs more than buying a good used one, btw.
It just suddenly started though, if it was the transmission oil then it would seem like I would have noticed it right after the clutch change.

·
Registered
471 Posts
This would be an excellent opportunity to install a six-speed and/or LSD.

Rebuilding the transaxle costs more than buying a good used one, btw.
I just replaced mine with the 6 speed from mwr. Shop quoted me almost 2600 to rebuild.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just replaced mine with the 6 speed from mwr. Shop quoted me almost 2600 to rebuild.
What ratio did you go with? I was looking at the 3.9 ratio 6 speed if my transmission goes bad. I was wondering if the acceleration penalty would be very noticeable.

·
Registered
471 Posts
What ratio did you go with? I was looking at the 3.9 ratio 6 speed if my transmission goes bad. I was wondering if the acceleration penalty would be very noticeable.
I went ahead with the 3.9. I have not gotten a chance to drive it much yet. Just got it back today. But I doubt I will notice. I don't really push the car much.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well I'll probably have a mechanic drive it and see what they say so I know for sure. Thanks for all the replies!
Honestly they won't know for sure until they open it. I went to 3 different mechanics and each one told me something different.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sounds Like Tranny Bearings

Could be one of three bearings in your tranny.But first of all that talk about GL5 and GL4 oil is very true. While changing the oil is a hopeful longshot, tthe milage on your tranny and the potential for abuse along the way plus the fact that you only hear the noise in 4th and 5th is pointing to bearing damage on the shaft with the 5th gear.
I am aware that your workshops up north are not into fixing transmissions suggestions would be:
  1. Change the tranny oil to Redline MT 90 or Amsoil GL4
    Start looking for another tranny cuz if you still hear the noise after changing the oil then it is def the bearing and judging by the repair charges I hear being banded about then maybe a tranny swap would be a better option.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had the same problem last year. They replaced the bearings. Mine makes this grinding sound on third and 4th gear. Rebuilt mine for $1500 including new clutch. The owner of the shop was a friend of mine. That's why it was still cheap.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could be one of three bearings in your tranny.But first of all that talk about GL5 and GL4 oil is very true. While changing the oil is a hopeful longshot, tthe milage on your tranny and the potential for abuse along the way plus the fact that you only hear the noise in 4th and 5th is pointing to bearing damage on the shaft with the 5th gear.
I am aware that your workshops up north are not into fixing transmissions suggestions would be:
  1. Change the tranny oil to Redline MT 90 or Amsoil GL4
    Start looking for another tranny cuz if you still hear the noise after changing the oil then it is def the bearing and judging by the repair charges I hear being banded about then maybe a tranny swap would be a better option.
Do the bearings suddenly go bad? Because it was fine one day then the next it was making noise. Unless I just didn't notice it, which seems unlikely.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Do the bearings suddenly go bad? Because it was fine one day then the next it was making noise. Unless I just didn't notice it, which seems unlikely.
Mine was fine one day then the next I thought my transmission was about to fall out...bearing pretty much disintegrated inside and caused a bunch of damage. Check my thread I have about my tranny issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts