MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my fuel pump replaced upon the mechanic finding poor fuel pump output, which didn't seem to fix the problem of my 2001 MR2 having difficulty starting & idling. Later it was discovered that the voltage to the fuel pump is reading around 4.7V, while it should be getting around the standard 12V, no?

What piece of equipment regulates the voltage to the fuel pump which could be failing, causing a low voltage reading at the pump?

We also knew my "cats" were likely clogged as well, due to the engine codes which had been coming up for about 2 years now. I've elected to try and get by for as long as possible without actually replacing them because I plan on doing a 2ZZ swap when this engine finally dies (it's at ~150k now).

So my mechanic removed the cat system & ran the car at idle for 30 minutes without issue. He is now planning to replace the upper manifold with a "cat-less header" for about $100 to help get me back on the road again. I'll manage in dealing with getting a waiver from the DMV after failing emissions inspections twice.

My concern is that even if this solves the starting/idling problem, doesn't the low voltage at the pump indicate the necessity of fixing that problem as well?

I greatly appreciate any help in this matter!

:cool:

bernard baruch carman
∞ ∞ ∞

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
The fuel pump should have 12V. How was the voltage tested?

The ECM supplies voltage to a relay that supplies power to the pump. You can test the relay, and if that is OK, it could be a wiring issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both very much! I will share this page and/or info with my mechanic (i presume one can view this forum without being a member. ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
rmeller
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing