MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am wondering if the lower control arms are effective for sporty street driving (not tracking or Autocrossing) ? Should the installing priority be font pair first or rear pair first ? Of should I install the front lower brace bar to be more improvement and effective ?

Also I just installed 4 new Koni Yellow Struts with Eibach spring lowered 1.5 inches. What is the suggested stiffness level of setup ? My current setup is 1 turn for front and 1.5 turn for rear. I noticed that after I upgraded the struts from stock, the rear end drifts more often when I did a quick turn. Is this normal or supposed to work that way ?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have comment ? Thanks.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hi all,
I am wondering if the lower control arms are effective for sporty street driving (not tracking or Autocrossing) ? Should the installing priority be font pair first or rear pair first ? Of should I install the front lower brace bar to be more improvement and effective ?

Also I just installed 4 new Koni Yellow Struts with Eibach spring lowered 1.5 inches. What is the suggested stiffness level of setup ? My current setup is 1 turn for front and 1.5 turn for rear. I noticed that after I upgraded the struts from stock, the rear end drifts more often when I did a quick turn. Is this normal or supposed to work that way ?

Thanks in advance...
Are you talking about installing aftermarket control arms? You don't need those to have fun on the street

There is no one answer for the shock settings. If you have more oversteer than you like, either decrease the rear shocks or increase the front shocks setting depending on how you like the way the car rides.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I use Koni yellows. I have the front a bit more than the rear. Tuned to driving style. For street I see no need to change the lower arms. A couple of braces might help stiffen up the chassis and is the direction I went.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use Koni yellows. I have the front a bit more than the rear. Tuned to driving style. For street I see no need to change the lower arms. A couple of braces might help stiffen up the chassis and is the direction I went.
If the front is set stiffer than the rear, do you feel it loosen up the rear tires when hard corning and make it drift (oversteer) a bit easier ?

I thought aftermarket control arms will help to increasing the stability of the car during corning.. If for street driving they are no need, then I can save a few $$$ and upgrade the other part of the car !
Thanks !

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
If the front is set stiffer than the rear, do you feel it loosen up the rear tires when hard corning and make it drift (oversteer) a bit easier ?

I thought aftermarket control arms will help to increasing the stability of the car during corning.. If for street driving they are no need, then I can save a few $$$ and upgrade the other part of the car !
Thanks !
Stiffer Rear = generally more oversteer. Stiffer Front=generally more understeer.

Don't worry about the control arms - that's not an issue for 99.999999% of owners.

What exactly is the problem?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I might have use the wrong term of what i am referring to. I am talking about the lower arm bar (not sure it is the same as lower control arm. Here is what I am referring to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-05-TOYOT...1032367387678705786&pid=100016&prg=1006&rk=5&

Will it benefit me for street driving ?

Thanks all...
I would say not a whole lot but yes it will tie it together depending on your other modifications but mainly for feel.
Feel is a good thing because it will allow you to drive with confidence and that will make you handle your car better.

You don't need all of the bracing and everything you modify may have either a positive or negative effect so modify wisely.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I installed those on the rear. Not real sure it made that much difference at the speeds I travel. I can feel the transfer to the tail but I also play with camber ft and rear as well as adjusting the konis and tire pressures. I don't plan on getting the tail loose in the dry on the street, to old for that kind of thing. Just playing with the balance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.