MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to the Spyder world (the car world in general, actually)... but in the truck world, you have manufacturers like Zone, Fabtech, Rough Country, Tuff Country, BDS, FTS, CST, Cognito, etc. Some are better than others, some just suck, some are overpriced, etc. I've been doing a lot of reading but haven't found the gold mine yet on what's good, and what I shouldn't waste money on...

The basic goal here is twofold; one, I want to drop the car down a couple inches so it has less of a 4x4 appearance; and two, I want to use quality components that will handle and ride well, since my front struts are about dead anyway. I'd like to avoid doing coilovers since frankly I don't drive the car hard enough to benefit from them for the $$ I'd pay. I don't mind spending money but I don't want to spend money unless I will benefit from it.

I currently have 16x7's on the car, with 215/40's up front and 225/45's in the rear.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I put Koni yellows and Eibach Pro S springs on mine and have been very pleased with the improvement in ride and handling. I also did the top/bottom and front/rear TRD braces. I'm a casual weekend runabout driver, I push it pretty hard but nowhere near 100%.

These springs lower it 1.2" front and rear. IMO more for the street will have you dragging things.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Tein, Eibach, H&R, or if you can find the TRD sportivo springs, are going to be your higher shelf quality springs. I've personally owned the Tein s-tech lowering springs, and have driven a spyder that had the H&R springs, both were great, and the H&R were actually a little nicer.

For struts, KYB has struts that are equal to the stock units, but cheaper. The Koni inserts aren't a direct bolt-in, but offer a little bit of adjustability and control a stiffer aftermarket spring better.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I am running Tein S springs on KYB struts and they work fine. They claim 1.4" drop front and 1.2" rear. With the tires I have, I wouldn't want to go lower, as I am down to 5" ground clearance in the front and only 4" in the back under the rear member brace. They are quite a bit stiffer than stock, and about as stiff as you would want on the street.

My two greatest fears are potholes and road kill.;)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I am running Tein S springs on KYB struts and they work fine. They claim 1.4" drop front and 1.2" rear. With the tires I have, I wouldn't want to go lower, as I am down to 5" ground clearance in the front and only 4" in the back under the rear member brace. They are quite a bit stiffer than stock, and about as stiff as you would want on the street.

My two greatest fears are potholes and road kill.;)
Tein S techs are barely stiffer than stock
110 lb/in front, 160 lb/in rear

Stock is
80 lb/in front, 140 lb/in rear

In comparison BC coilovers with the standard rate (5k/7k) is:
280 lb/in front, 392 lb/in rear

I think the much stiffer ride than stock is most likely caused by the KYB shocks and reduced travel from the lowering.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I think your math is off a bit. Stock front is listed as 1.3 kgf/mm, rear at 2.2. The TeinS at 1.9 front is 40% stiffer than stock. The rear at 2.9 is 30% stiffer. In my mind that is significant. I find some of the rates shown for coilovers to be just a "bit" extreme for the street.

Of course a lot depends on string preload as well, and the Tein S have a lot less than stock, so on small bumps they don't feel much different than stock. But the increased stiffness is noticeable on bigger bumps. As for the KYB struts, they are OEM replacements so the damping is very close to stock.

Shock travel is based on force vs resistance, so any reduction in travel from lowering only comes into play if you apply enough force to hit the bump stops where you wouldn't previously. Tien recommends cutting the bump stops, but I didn't and still have never hit the bumpers that I know of.

Real world wheel travel with the coilovers has to be very limited at the rates they claim.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I think your math is off a bit. Stock front is listed as 1.3 kgf/mm, rear at 2.2. The TeinS at 1.9 front is 40% stiffer than stock. The rear at 2.9 is 30% stiffer. In my mind that is significant. I find some of the rates shown for coilovers to be just a "bit" extreme for the street.

Of course a lot depends on string preload as well, and the Tein S have a lot less than stock, so on small bumps they don't feel much different than stock. But the increased stiffness is noticeable on bigger bumps. As for the KYB struts, they are OEM replacements so the damping is very close to stock.

Shock travel is based on force vs resistance, so any reduction in travel from lowering only comes into play if you apply enough force to hit the bump stops where you wouldn't previously. Tien recommends cutting the bump stops, but I didn't and still have never hit the bumpers that I know of.

Real world wheel travel with the coilovers has to be very limited at the rates they claim.
Curious, what source did you get those stock spring rates from?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm happy with my tien s-tech's. The drop looks nice and my car only rubs on very tight cornering. I personally feel less body roll since installing them almost 2 years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.