MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone do the maf mod with an aftermarket intake system?

I have a custom intake I built myself using the stock airbox that i cut around the stock maf sensor placement. Would it still work for me?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any answers to this? Because I also have a short ram intake that I made using the stock air box and I’ve been trying to get the right size spacer for the maf but with no luck. I’m also using the brown 2zz injectors so that could be an issue..

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
You would have to work it out by trial and error. That is presumably how the original MAF mod was developed. You need injectors that match the MAF calibration, and the calibration depends on the intake geometry.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Anyone do the maf mod with an aftermarket intake system?

I have a custom intake I built myself using the stock airbox that i cut around the stock maf sensor placement. Would it still work for me?
Hi there I did the same mao to my air box did the maf mod work for you?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any answers to this? Because I also have a short ram intake that I made using the stock air box and I’ve been trying to get the right size spacer for the maf but with no luck. I’m also using the brown 2zz injectors so that could be an issue..
Hi there I did the same mod to my air box did the maf mod work for you ??

·
Registered
212 Posts
No I didn't. I use PPE CAI which is specially made for the MR-S.
A CAI doesn't work with MAF MOD, because airflow is better than the "restricted" stock.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It will work but you may need to adjust the height up/down a little to fine tune it. Ideally you want the long term fuel trims to be slightly negative so you are not running lean with the timing changes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you I figured it would and was gonna give it a try regardless I do hacked up the stock top half
of the air box and made a pretty affective short ram intake with a heat shield can wait to try in the spring , side topic I have ordered the mid front and fstb from barbarian racing do you like yours any pros and cons ? Mines a 00 JDM MRS thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The Barbarian items are very nice pieces, I think you will like them and they will improve the cars feel when driving spiritedly. (y)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks do they take care of some of the harsh rattles on bumpy roads I have about 5000k on tein S springs and oem kybs love the look and the handling but on bumps my god sounds like I’m breaking things apart my MRS only has 45,000 miles suspension components all look great ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
The 5kg TEIN springs and KYB suspensions mix are maybe not a good combo.
Better is to go with coilover suspension where you can adjust height and compression as you wish.
If you go to coilover, I recommand you to purchase 4kg front/6kg rear springs.
5kg front/6kg rear is too much for bad roads, even on softer "clic" setup.

·
Registered
995 Posts
SO much bad information in here.......
Let me answer the question a little more eloquently. Does the MAF mod work with a CAI... the answer is Maybe. I would recommend first looking at your fuel trims with an OBDII reader to see how they are with the new intake. If they're not too crazy and out of wack, then the answer is yes, you could theoretically use the MAF mod. This is an assumption though, and your experience may vary.

The stock intake has a diameter of 2.5(I think it's something like 2.54, but my memory may be off). The MAF mod expects you to remove the veins and move the MAF up and out of the airflow. This will in term throws the AFR's way off and the fuel trims will be out of the expected range for proper open/closed loop fueling. to correct this, you would increase fueling by installing the yellow 330cc injectors from the 2zz with the expected results to have Long term fuel trims within +/-7 so that closedloop fueling can function properly.
Assuming your intake is the same diameter as the stock, that being 2.5", then it should theoretically mimic that of a stock intake with the veins removed. By then placing the PVC bit to raise the MAF, it should net similar results to a veinless stock intake. Adding the 330cc injectors should correct fuel trims at that point.
If anything, I would expect a proper CAI to perform better than stock, not because it flows more, because the stock can already flow plenty of air(it's been flow bench tested multiple times), but because of the velocity of the air being greater from less turbulence(long straight intake pipe), paired with cool air. Those paired with the MAF mod to increase timing should net maybe a hp or two? could potentially open up the top end a hair, but not likely and not much more than the stock MAF mod.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts