MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 789 Posts

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished removing the airbox vanes, installing a 1/4 spacer (3/4" #6 screws seem to replace OEM MAF screws well) and installing injectors (used yellow GT-S 310cc, cleaned by Witchunter) in my 1ZZ spyder. These pieces have given me a bit more "Magic Midrange" along with the ZeroExhaust header and Nopi flywheel.

I would like to give a BIG THANKS to Cap Weir for his research and help with this mod. Highly recommended. Part throttle response is better.

The PERMAGRIN is starting to hurt now. I believe I am done, just need to keep gas in it.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
I just finished removing the airbox vanes, installing a 1/4 spacer (3/4" #6 screws seem to replace OEM MAF screws well) and installing injectors (used yellow GT-S 310cc, cleaned by Witchunter) in my 1ZZ spyder. These pieces have given me a bit more "Magic Midrange" along with the ZeroExhaust header and Nopi flywheel.
are the airbox vanes in the top OEM airbox above the paper filter before the MAF sensor? i saw this yesterday, but didn't know what the point of it was for...

can you just install the higher flow injectors on the OEM setup without having to do anything else? doesn't that screw up A/F ratio?

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes the vanes are located as mentioned. Removing the vanes and raising the MAF changes the the reading of the MAF. Cap has a thread here about all that he did and his results. I don't believe changing injectors will do anything more than cause the LT to change. As I recall, but reading Cap's thread would be much better, the MAF is fooled into seeing a lighter load, increasing timing advance and becoming more responsive. I don't think WOT measurements will change on a dyno but I have yet to test this. The injector change compensates the fooled MAF readings. Hi test gas copes with the increase in timing. A search for MAF should bring up Cap's research. It is a all or nothing mod. Less pedal is required for the grin to appear.

Cap's thread:
http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?34825-1-and-2-ZZ-ECU-s-Side-by-Side..-Sorta&p=771783&viewfull=1#post771783

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I did the same mods a while back, the only difference is I'm running a short ram intake instead of the stock one. One of the better mods for mid range power I've done.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
This is an All or Nothing MOD..

1/4 inch is about as short a spacer as I can get under the MAF.. Onother way to do the MOD, would be to leave the Vanes In and raise the MAF up about 7/16 to 1/2 inch.. but more testing would be needed to find that 'Spot'..

For now the Landmarks are, 1/4 inch Up, vanes Out, Yellows in,.. Grin Starts Sooner..

Still looking for the Torque Curve on the Dyno.. and this REQUIRES 91 or better fuel..

Cap

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so is the theory, advance the timing by tricking the MAF... then use higher octane fuel to prevent pinging?
Have you read Cap's thread? I believe he explains what is happening with the changes throughly. Highly recommend reading if you are interested in the mod.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just finished reading most of the thread!!! wow... now im curious...

CAP - are you making anymore spacers?
IMHO the mod is great, very WORTH WHILE. The GRIN is BIG. And I was not a believer to start with! Thanks again Cap.

Hi test gas, find yourself some yellow injectors (recommend servicing if not new) spacer and remove vane.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got back for a dyno run. I have gained torque across the board and a increase in HP following previous runs. Currently at 120 ftlb and 135 hp with a drive line issue that I know causes a loss. I will now put money to gas (Hi test) not the dyno.

Cap YOU ARE THE MAN.

The is the single best thing I have done to the spyder. For reference I have a ZeroExhaust header, CHE lotus exhaust and NOPI 9 lb flywheel, bracing and lightening.

Thanks Cap, I take my hat off to you!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Are the injectors required? Has anyone tested this without swapping injectors?

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are the injectors required? Has anyone tested this without swapping injectors?
I did a short test on a dyno without injectors.

If you remove the vanes and add a spacer to the MAF---- ADD INJECTORS. I USED GT-S YELLOW 310cc serviced by witchhunter.

This works only as a complete set:

VANE REMOVAL, SPACER ADD, INJECTOR CHANGE, HI TEST GAS-------ALL OR NOTHING.

IMHO it is cheap entertainment and worth every penny in premium.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Lol. I just came from post office to ship mine. I hope they clean my injectors first. Now I need to fabricate that 1/4 spacer for the maf. Hopefully I'll be ready when it gets back.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol. I just came from post office to ship mine. I hope they clean my injectors first. Now I need to fabricate that 1/4 spacer for the maf. Hopefully I'll be ready when it gets back.
It should not be that hard to make the 1/4 spacer. You would help the community if you show/tell your spacer. Make sure you use hi test gas, I use Shell 93 octane. The MAF mod and light flywheel really made a nice difference in my spyder. Witchhunter also serviced my injectors quickly, well worth the charge.

Reactions: MR2-D2
1 - 20 of 789 Posts