MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fyi - You can order the cat/dp through Summit Racing Pn# MPE-57065 at cost of $419.99 + handling charges. I'll give some assessment of this when I get mine.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
fyi - You can order the cat/dp through Summit Racing Pn# MPE-57065 at cost of $419.99 + handling charges. I'll give some assessment of this when I get mine.
I wasn't able to see any of the CA-specific parts listed on their site. Did you have to call?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got my DP today and ir's excellent quality! Nice mandrel bent piping, good flex section, etc. I'll take pictures in a little bit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some of the pics. The only thing disappointing thus far is the lack of hangars. I hope it doesn't cause the dp to sag, especially with aftermarket exhaust. I'll be installing them tomorrow most likely.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was considering to buy one too. However, I was a bit hesitant as I was thinking of 2 options: 1. Buying the mid pipe that you posted. OR 2. Buying the universal CARB legal cat and having it welded onto the JNZ non-cat that I have.

Any chance you can measure the piping between the flange and the flex pipe? (The stock piping is really restrictive there. I understand this is an emissions piece but I just wanted to know if performance can also be obtained. :p)

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Here are some of the pics. The only thing disappointing thus far is the lack of hangars. I hope it doesn't cause the dp to sag, especially with aftermarket exhaust. I'll be installing them tomorrow most likely.
That hanger is pretty useless. It's more important that the header above the cat, and the exhaust on the other side of the cat have their flanges in the right places. If the flanges aren't located right, angling the cat will put strain on the flex section and cause it to die an early death.

More pressing for you will be the pipes that protrude from each flange. Some other guy here bought a non-CA unit and had issues with those pipes interfering and being too long - the donut gaskets weren't tall enough to seal. Just looking at them they all look too tall. Someone really should tell them they have a manufacturing flaw.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@ Joe - I don't know about others, but on my car with stock headers and a che center exhaust, the stock downpipe/cat hangs low enough to be readily seen if not using the hangers. As for the pipe and flanges, I'll check it out tomorrow at the shop.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@ Dexter - the price should be inline with the ebay 49 state headers, which is around $520 or so.

@ Joe - Shop called me to say they had completed the install relatively easily. Only issues they had was with the gaskets (mine were old and worn), otherwise everything was fine (no drooping or CEL thus far). I'll give an update once i log some time with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great news - I ran with this new DP/cat and passed Cali smog without precats (used to fail before)! Only a couple quirks that I can see: 1) It hangs sort of low on my car (due to my Che center exhaust) and 2) it required slightly larger header O Ring gaskets than OEM (those didn't fit). Here are some more pics of it installed:

·
Registered
611 Posts

how much was this shipping to CA?

·
Registered
225 Posts
How did the numbers turn out for smog? Also did you happen ask for a price check on the exhaust manifold while you were there?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
About this Discussion
77 Replies
26 Participants
gavinsiu
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing