MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@ Joe - gaskets weren't included. I had to pick them up from a local speed shop

@ Tuga - I passed with a 62 HC @ Idle (I failed before around 140+).

·
Registered
225 Posts
I got off live chat and the prices came out absurdly higher than the ones shown here. Is there any tricks that I don't know about?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Any chance you can measure the piping between the flange and the flex pipe? (The stock piping is really restrictive there. I understand this is an emissions piece but I just wanted to know if performance can also be obtained. :p)
My question never got answered. :p

·
Registered
10,033 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
i just installed it today. i'll take some pics tomorrow. there are no mounting points for the stock heat shields but from what i can see of the precats it looks higher quality than the oem.
Looking forward to the pics! How was the install? Any issues?

Also, update on my DP/CAT after a few weeks of usage: Still works great, but at high rpm it emits an awful smell (probably still breaking in). Also has a little raspy tone to it as well that is only evident during hard acceleration around town.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looking forward to the pics! How was the install? Any issues?

Also, update on my DP/CAT after a few weeks of usage: Still works great, but at high rpm it emits an awful smell (probably still breaking in). Also has a little raspy tone to it as well that is only evident during hard acceleration around town.
Install was pretty easy, the only issue is that the 2 bottom mounting brackets is not threaded unlike the stock manifold. I just had to use the original 14mm stud and the flange nut (one of the 3 amigos) to attach the new manifold to the engine brace. You can kinda see that the CARB executive order number was stamped on the left precat.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Install was pretty easy, the only issue is that the 2 bottom mounting brackets is not threaded unlike the stock manifold. I just had to use the original 14mm stud and the flange nut (one of the 3 amigos) to attach the new manifold to the engine brace. You can kinda see that the CARB executive order number was stamped on the left precat.

can you take some pictures the bottom of the header?

·
Registered
225 Posts
For anyone still considering the header, there is a retailer on [email protected] that is taking best offers. I got it for seven even. To top that off, I used the ebay mobile app and got 10% off that. I also got 15 dollars in [email protected] bucks, dropping the price down to six-fifteen which is still a hell of a lot better than msrp. If you sign up with paypal as you go, the price will be even lower. The guy takes a few days to relist so he's not going to sell many of them. Also the [email protected] app offer is one time, first time, email invite only, and expires on the 24th of this month, apple or android only.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I got it for seven even. To top that off, I used the ebay mobile app and got 10% off that. I also got 15 dollars in [email protected] bucks, dropping the price down to six-fifteen which is still a hell of a lot better than msrp.
EH? Did you miss this:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I saw, but I still questioned the thought of putting in another OEM manifold, already known to be a weak link in our cars. At the very least, I would have a warranty on the magnaflow. $100 bucks isn't too big a deal for me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I saw, but I still questioned the thought of putting in another OEM manifold, already known to be a weak link in our cars. At the very least, I would have a warranty on the magnaflow. $100 bucks isn't too big a deal for me.
Also, these look like aftermarket header quality parts (and hopefully some performance as well). Great looking piece!

·
Registered
10 Posts
New MR2 Owner, Please Help with Main Cat Question...

Hello All! Just purchased 2003 MR2 with 103k miles, love it! Took it to my mechanic, replaced valve cover gasket, seal on rear transmission to driver shaft, alignment, and oil change... all pretty basic except the main cat needs to be replaced.
Please share if this is correct, strange chatter/rattle about 2000 -3000 rpm coming from exhaust, when shifting engine slightly but noticeably bogs a bit dropping a few hundred RPM before accelerating and revving back up, and rattle from cat when tapping it from underneath... main cat to be replaced?
I think so...
If so, what are my options other than us1500 full replacement from Toyota and the Magnaflow system on this thread? I don't see any other universals carb legal on the market and thats what my mechanics muffler guy said as well? The cheapest, but unethical and illegal, is to hook up a 49 state universal but then wont pass smog in a couple years when I need to smog (just passed a couple months ago).
Any ideas please help?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Also, these look like aftermarket header quality parts (and hopefully some performance as well). Great looking piece!
Yea, I'm happy with it. It looks great and it does sound little throaty. It looks much better than the pic. I also did not want to spend the same amount on an OEM and have it fail. I was lucky to get it at a lower price too. :)

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
About this Discussion
77 Replies
26 Participants
gavinsiu
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing