MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to change my SMT fluid. Even though it has been a mild winter, when the temps creep lower than 35 degrees it has trouble going into gear and the red warning light comes on after I manage to start it - it's actually stalled out on me twice! Pretty sure the problem is that the SMT fluid is old and moisture is in it. Now that spring has come to DC there's been no problems but I'd still like to get it changed. During the winter I solicited the Toyota dealership in Arlington (I live a mile away from it), but sadly because this is such a rare care they had no idea what I was talking about - even after I had tracked down the Toyota Mechanic book for the MR2. Suffice to say I did exactly feel like leaving my car and trusting them with it. They were even arguing amongst themselves what kind of transmission it was - automatic or manual even after I explained that it was neither! Can anyone help me out? Recently passed the 100k mileage mark as well. As far as I know, I'm the 2nd owner of the car. It's an '02.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Change the fluid yourself.
Remove the airfilter box.
Suck the old fluid out of the reservoir.
Refill with fresh fluid and cycle the gearshift until the pump comes on.
Repeat a few times to slowly dilute the old fluid in the system.
(SMT fluid is about $130 qt)
-or-
find a mechanic that knows how to log onto spyderchat. Procedure link.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts