MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm about ready to drop too much money for me on coil-overs. I talked to a reputable dealer here about BC coilovers and he said he wasn't currently selling them as they were having some quality issues. I was thinking about stock but considering I'm about spend this much time and effort on the car I'd like something a little better, I live for the corners. So, that being said, I started looking for other options in my poverty stricken price range.

I have done a lot of research on Megan coilovers the last few days and a lot of searching. It seems most people don't think to much of them, but then I started to dig a bit deeper. It seems a lot of people have opinions, but not many people have actually tried them. I searched a lot of other car forums too, and it seemed that the people who had them liked them and were happy with them stating a ride much better than stock in terms of handling. There were of course naysayers, but only a few had had ever used them, they just heard something somewhere or something. It seemed like quite a few were just jumping on the bandwagon without any personal experience.

I guess what I'm wondering is has anyone actually used them here and what do they think? Have they held up? etc etc.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
I talked to a reputable dealer here about BC coilovers and he said he wasn't currently selling them as they were having some quality issues. wondering is has anyone actually used them here and what do they think? Have they held up? etc etc.
Reputable dealers have opinions too. If I am not mistaken the Megen coil overs are made by BC.
BCs have a good reputation here and they do well. Opinions on a specific forums are more important then advertising and "reputable dealers" that have a clear conflict of interest.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dev, thanks for the info, you have a good point about the dealers also. I still have your bushing tool here and a set of Super Pro bushings for the whole car. I'm just waiting on coilovers to put them in. I may bug you with a lot of stupid questions once I start.

T-Bone, Budget is less than a grand, around 9 would be good. I still need new tires and an alignment when I'm done.

The car has 161,xxx miles on it, it's all stock. It was pretty well taken care of but still needs a lot of things.

It needs new struts in a bad way along with a bunch of other stuff including an engine soon. I figure that while I'm replacing them I may as well put something a little nicer in, plus I know all the mounts, bellows, etc need to be replaced, so coil-overs would cover that.

Even with the bad struts it's still one of the best handling cars I have ever driven, I've owned Fiat X1/9's and a 91 prelude with 4 wheel steering and they would both break traction before the mr2. The wife is in love with it and the more I drive it the more become attached to it. We have discovered the permagrin. :lol:

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
Megan is not made by BC. BC makes just BC.

D2 makes some of the Megans and Ksports. The new cheap Megan line is not made by D2 anymore.

If you can wait about 30 days there will be 2 other coilovers available for the MR-S.

We are currently testing 2 different sets made by two manufacturers that are not yet available in the US.

Both will have options available under $1K.

They will also have an optional rubber upper mount similar to stock for those that don't want the noise and vibration caused by camber plates.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
I may bug you with a lot of stupid questions once I start.
Bug away I am here to help. Start with removing the rear arms and then work your way up to the harder bushings where you have to cut the inner liner. It's all in the video and if you need my help with anything I will give you my phone number if you PM me so you can call me at any time during the process.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm running the Megan street coilovers. I have little experience racing & no experience with any other suspension setups for this car, other than stock. With that said I think they're great. A tad harsh/ bouncy before they broke in. Now the ride feels so much more precise, less sluggish & body roll was greatly reduced. Spring rate 5k front 7k rear feels sporty but still acceptable for street/daily use. I love them.... My car is 05 with stock bracing +'tenabe FSTB.---- however, if I was currently in the market for coilovers I would be very curious to se what silversprint has in the works

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
T-townMRS, thanks for the info, that was exactly what I was looking for. How many miles have you put on them so far?

Dev, good deal, thank you. I'm completely new to cars but I can replace wheel and swing arm bearings on motorcyles and I have replaced pistons and adjusted my own valves on bikes so I think I should be able to pull this off. The naming has me a little confused. Like trailing arm, is that the arm farthest toward the rear? That would make sense right? The manual I have doesn't seem to use the same naming convention as SuperPro.

T-Bone, tire budget is seperate but still not huge. I saw tire rack has a really good deal on the Yokohama S-drives. I can't justify 700 on a set of tires, well maybe I could, if I didn't want my wife to kill me in my sleep. Tires are a lot easier to replace later anyway and I do have alternate transportation for the winter.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have about 7k miles on my coilovers & they feel great. It will be intresing to see how they hold up at 20-30k & so on........ T-bone is spot on with his tire info.(I'm running S-drives:lol:) don't skimp it on tires! Tires are the one thing will increase handling & performance more than ANY other part- hands down..... IMO save cash & do coilovers, good tires , have Dev talk u through all your Bushings. You do those 3 things to your car (& your wife doesn't kill you) & it will transform. You will be greatly rewarded!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I

I have to ask then why justify coil overs? vs OEM replacements or even cheaper aftermarkets

the difference between RE11 and S-drives is several orders of magnitude. If you don't need it sure I get it BUT then for sure you do not need coil overs.

My pal Galo has a set of OEM with koni yellows in them I can ask how much he would want for them if you are interested PM me and I will shoot you his email
I know for me it is much harder to spend money on things like tires that will wear out fairly quickly compared to the long term investment of suspension upgrades. Also, the rule of thumb (I know not always...) is the stickier the tires, the shorter their life, unless you start getting really expensive, and in that case, I don't think the increased life outweighs the price increase.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I saw tire rack has a really good deal on the Yokohama S-drives. I can't justify 700 on a set of tires
I recently bought S-drives from TireRack for around $85 per tire. In my opinion, performance and noise-wise, they are superior to other "top tier" brands that I have previously owned.

*COUGH* nitto *COUGH*

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
I recently bought S-drives from TireRack for around $85 per tire. In my opinion, performance and noise-wise, they are superior to other "top tier" brands that I have previously owned.

*COUGH* nitto *COUGH*
The Yokahoma brand is top tier but S-drives are not. I have not had them to make any call however the way they are listed is a street able budget tire. Not bad for the Spyder but certainly not in the same class of tire as the OEM tires back in the day.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, that makes sense about the tires. I know on the bikes they are actualy an active part of the suspension system and I'm guessing on the Spyder it would be the same to a point. One of the reasons I wanted the coilovers was the adjustable drop and camber, I was hoping in the future to replace the rims. First things first though, and I need to resolve the mechanical issues before I start worrying about cosmetics and I don't think that will be until next year.

What kind of lifespan can be expected with the RE11's if you only occasionaly drive like an idiot? I'll start working on getting them in the budget. If not this tire change, definetly the next one.

T-bone, thank you for the info on the Koni's but I want the ride height adjustable, I should have mentioned that in the first place. I'd like to build the car a little, but it will take a while and I'm trying to do everything in very small steps not to leave anything unfinished for any lenght of time.

·
Registered
314 Posts
regarding RE11 they have a wear rating of 180. compared to other bridgestones that is excellent. 040s are rated at 140. I got 28K out of those and about the same out of my T1R which are similar to the S-drive.

RE11 are orders of magnitude about these tires and will last as long if maintained correctly.
You got 28K mile from 180 thread rating? I replaced my rear S Drives at 30K. Either I drive faster than I think or I replaced em prematurely. My front set will probably last at least 50K though.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
You got 28K mile from 180 thread rating? I replaced my rear S Drives at 30K. Either I drive faster than I think or I replaced em prematurely. My front set will probably last at least 50K though.
You cannot compare ware ratings between manufactures. It's actually worse then comparing pant sizes between the brands.
On the whole however stones tend to ware better despite the rating, at least that has been my experience.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts