MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am now torn as to what I want to go with. The suspension and everything suspension-wise in my car is being replaced as it is shot. 20 years old at this point. I also am restoring this car from sitting for 6 years. I've started with ordering BC Racing BR-Type coilovers, but before I even try to put them on I'm going to replace all of the Rear Arms (Toe, Trailing, and Lower).

I wanted to get some opinions on whether Megan's arms are good enough to AutoX with once I'm done doing everything I want to with the car or if I should just spend double the money and go with Battle Version arms? If so, why or why not? At double the price, is it that much of an upgrade? I would love to do the Front Lower Control arms, but $875??? Yeah, way way out of my price range for any time soon. I'm looking into a 2zz swap and don't really want to push that back to go with Front Lower Arms first.

Just looking for some wise wisdom from the experienced guys on here. I don't mind spending double if I'm going to truly feel it is worth it in the end. Also, doing the WhiteLine sway bars as well cause mine are completely rotted. I'll post pics later. This car is getting resurrected from obscurity.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Megan racing doesnt offer the front, which is where more camber helps. You can still run crash bolts up front to get the desired camber if you're on a budget. I'm not sure about the difference durability wise. I think both are made overseas but battle version at least went through the R&D process. Help a local business if you can. I got the godspeeds in the back for a good deal but I'll likely upgrade to the battle version front and rear in the future.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah your right I'd love to help a local business out to keep offering these parts long into the future. The $875 for the fronts though is out of control in my opinion. If they could get that down to somewhere in the $475 region it would be a lot more manageable. I mean it's not like its made from titanium. It's billet aluminum. I'm just skeptical of it for that price.

Ahh ok, in deeper diving into their website it looks like low volume production. Still though $615...gotta sleep on it a bit more.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'm in the same boat. The fronts are a bit overkill for most applications. Toe is easily aligned front and back. It's just nice adjusting camber without crash bolts, or if you need the extra angle up front for dorifto.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't know about Megan Racing, but I can tell you that Battle Version can take whatever you can dish out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
BV is made in the US and he sources high strength AN hardware + teflon coated sphericals. I have run them on track full tilt in multiple cars and they have been great. The only issue I had was from the front and really just user error.

The rear arms are aluminum but the fronts are a combo of coated steel for the FLCA and alum for the caster arm. The front arms are the best part of this as you can clock more caster (about 5.5 to 6*). This helps front grip and also moves the wheelbase forward a little. Added benefit of all the arms is the increase in track width from adjusting for camber, as well.

Megan rear arms look OK but I have a feeling they use cheap sphericals which will wear out quickly.

BV's arms are cheap for what you get, tbh.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I agree, I certainly did not feel like I wasn't getting my money's worth.

I chose them because a friend races on them, drift and grip, often. I chose my coil overs the same way, looking at his car and having been in it on the track... I told Ken at OTP Automotive, "Get me what Eric's got."

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think the Battle Version is similar to Paul Volks stuff that I own for my DSM. It takes R&D and a lot of time to make this stuff with quality so I think it's a fair price. Why not get BV for the arms that you need for adjustment sake and then just get Poly bushings and replace the rubber of the OEM ones you don't need for adjustment? 2G DSM Products - Volk Metal Craft

·
Registered
51 Posts
What works best for track conditions is more often than not NOT the way to go fo real world road conditions.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Three solutions:
  • drive away
  • let him pass
  • take the mirror out (and the dead spot in front at the same time)
It was a figure of speech. I haven't had a center mirror for years. Point being, there's a trade off... more performance often means less comfort.

This car has never been about comfort for me. YMMV

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
So, I am now torn as to what I want to go with. The suspension and everything suspension-wise in my car is being replaced as it is shot. 20 years old at this point. I also am restoring this car from sitting for 6 years. I've started with ordering BC Racing BR-Type coilovers, but before I even try to put them on I'm going to replace all of the Rear Arms (Toe, Trailing, and Lower).

I wanted to get some opinions on whether Megan's arms are good enough to AutoX with once I'm done doing everything I want to with the car or if I should just spend double the money and go with Battle Version arms? If so, why or why not? At double the price, is it that much of an upgrade? I would love to do the Front Lower Control arms, but $875??? Yeah, way way out of my price range for any time soon. I'm looking into a 2zz swap and don't really want to push that back to go with Front Lower Arms first.

Just looking for some wise wisdom from the experienced guys on here. I don't mind spending double if I'm going to truly feel it is worth it in the end. Also, doing the WhiteLine sway bars as well cause mine are completely rotted. I'll post pics later. This car is getting resurrected from obscurity.
Consider that the Megans actually weigh more than OEM and the BV's weigh less.
Dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
It was a figure of speech. I haven't had a center mirror for years. Point being, there's a trade off... more performance often means less comfort.

This car has never been about comfort for me. YMMV
The trade offs go a bit further than comfort I am affraid: Shocks&spring for the track are likely to have léss traction under public road conditions because of loss of conformation to the surface. Also a racing set up is likely to have too high a suspension frequence and be near impossible to drive quick on real world surfaces other than by gifted drivers.
It is like a set up for US auto-X being different form high speed racing tracks but then more extreme.
The MR2 Spyder ´needs´ only very little modification to go quicker on the road and then only when those modes are véry well balanced or bottom line it will be a negative.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My mom always said I was gifted, and now it's certified here on Spyderchat.

I always wanted a car that performs like a motorcycle and I think I've gotten about as close as I will get

·
Registered
19 Posts
Consider that the Megans actually weigh more than OEM and the BV's weigh less.
Dave
Thanks was looking for this information. Do we know how much less by chance than OEM? I know it's aluminum, but must have had to make it thicker.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts