MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I read somewhere that the MR2 Spyder came standard in Mexico with a hardtop. It seems that this would be a much cheaper market (shipping costs should be way less) to source hardtops from, and costs should be lower. Does anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Go to TJ and ask for a "Mexican Hardtop" and see what you get :eusa_think:

As for shipping, box it up with some illegals for big $$$ savings!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hmmm, I am only a couple hours from the border and I have coworkers who go back to visit family fairly routinely. I will have to ask them to see if it is true and if any are available.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Good luck! That would be awesome if they didn't have to come from overseas. That said, I've been to Mexico twice since owning my spyder, and have never seen one. I figured they weren't offered in that market.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
They were offered 'till 2007 there. I didn't see any reference to the hardtop being standard, and the pics of the post 2005's that I've seen from down there are only about 1/4 hardtop.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
hardtops were discontiued long ago and were always a option never came as standard equipment anywhere

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regardless of standard or an option, if they were sold in Mexico, then they should be cheaper to bring here than from across the pond.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Guess I will see what my coworker turns up after next week. He is headed there to visit family. He said if he finds me one he will give me a call and text me some pics of it.
Not going to get my hopes up but he find one I will be one damn happy gringo.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
hardtops were discontiued long ago and were always a option never came as standard equipment anywhere
They wasn't discontinued till probably 2007-2008 was they?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nitro - any update?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The only thing I would caution is that even if the roof was available for less, does it include the fitting kit? Even if it's more expensive, I'd rather work with Mike V as he has an excellent rep. here. Plus, if there is an issue, to whom do you direct the complaint?

·
Registered
522 Posts
In NitroMidget's case, the tops would be picked up and delivered by a co-worker who'd know in advance that the tops would have to be complete and in acceptable condition before being paid upon delivery in the co-worker's personally owned vehicle.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Oh, there's no error on your part; you've got a few points, in fact. Anyone paying for a hardtop and having it shipped from pretty much anywhere would do well to consider them.

Nitro's and/or my hardtop would be picked up in San Antonio, but thanks for the sound advice. I'm always glad to see folks in the MR2 community actually looking out for one another :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts