MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this little guy hanging around my block a few times and I had the camera with me the other day to snap a frame as I walked by. I know next to nothing about MG's and didn't even know there was an MGT till I looked at the badge. It was in great shape and just thought I would share.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Beautiful.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I about bought one of those a couple of years ago. The outside looked that nice, the inside was mostly orginial and in good shape....but there was no much left underneath the car. I bet 25% of the metal was gone, rusted away. With the paint being fairly fresh I was sure the body was the same and full of filler. So I walked away. Cool little cars though, and you do not hardly ever see one.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
I've seen this little guy hanging around my block a few times and I had the camera with me the other day to snap a frame as I walked by. I know next to nothing about MG's and didn't even know there was an MGT till I looked at the badge. It was in great shape and just thought I would share.

Triumph GTs were nice and faster, but reliability sucked. I had an MGB and got 500 mpq, q being quart of oil!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_GT6

·
Registered
138 Posts
There was a fascinating build awhile ago where a guy put a Jaguar V12 in an MGB-GT. Unfortunately it kept breaking down and he swapped in a Ford V8.

I think they're great little cars.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yep, the Spyder has AC...the B's never did.

Had a GT....it was fun, but I missed the rag top. The hatchback was cool....open it, and you had seats and overhang for two people.....drank a lot of beer sitting under that back hatch....;)

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
Had several B's over the years. One of them was so far gone that I stripped it and junked it. The car broke in half when the tow truck lifted it.

The Spitfire was the closest to the Spyder that I've ever owned as far as driving and handling goes.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
There was an MGB-GT, an MGC-GT (6 cyl) and more rarely, and MGD-GT (V-8).

It was the 3.5L Rover/GM/Triumph one, but it moved them along O.K.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
I remember the MGD but I don't recall them being allowed in the US. I had that same aluminum block 215 cu. in. Engine in my 1961 Buick. Spunky engine, great mileage and a 4bbl. Warped the heads if you even thought of running low on coolant.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I remember the MGD but I don't recall them being allowed in the US. I had that same aluminum block 215 cu. in. Engine in my 1961 Buick. Spunky engine, great mileage and a 4bbl. Warped the heads if you even thought of running low on coolant.
You are correct sir, combination of getting it smogged and crash tested, they didn't think they'd sell enough, plus they wanted to sell Triumph Stags for more money, so they cut their own throat. They also detuned the engine from the 180 hp Rover norm to 137 hp so they'd be sluggish by comparison.

That masterful British Leyland marketing department.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
My pictures are from the last time I went to the Northern California All British Car Show and Swap Meet they used to hold at the Dixon fairgrounds every year. Awesome collection of things, many you would never see on the road anywhere, and some nowhere else in the U.S.

Here's a Daimler V-8 from when they marketed Jaguars as two different brands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts