MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
22,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Midlyph AKA (Chris) is a good friend of mine from Georgia. He was selling these brackets with the studs some time ago and due to some of his constraints I have now become the exclusive seller of this product that he is making for the community so they can be available once more

All of the brackets are exclusive for the Spyder and there is much machine work and labor that goes into the process.

Chis takes his time for each one so that everything is in perfect alignment and I am happy to offer his hand made American product to the masses.

What you will receive is 6 brackets and two ball studs not pictured for the functionality of both the frunk and rear engine lid to open. $80 shipped Priority Mail with conformation.

The only thing missing in the kit is the struts which can be purchased from
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/1188/=fpgvzn

Just type the part numbers in the "find box" and you will see the parts.

1. 30lb 20" for the frunk,(two required) part #: 4138T583
2. 30lb 15" for the engine cover if you are using a pair and lifting a spoiler 4138T553

Instructions:

This write up is by Midlyph

Installation

Thanks go to Bill, 10SGURU from SC for providing the donor car for this writeup. He only wanted the frunk lid done but after you master this the engine lid should be easy.

I didn't really get lots of detailed peekshure™™™s™ as the installation goes pretty quick and we were kind of in a hurry but these should be enough. Note how your body lines match up here and at the front behind the headlight. I usually install the brackets one at a time so that I have the other side for reference.

Step 1 Remove all the "ba-gillion" poppets and remove the frunk plastic.
Step 2 Remove the fender bolt and screw the metric ball stud in it's place.
Step 3 Install the brackets. I usually remove the rear hinge bolt, put on the bracket and lightly thread the bolt back in place then remove the front hinge bolt, swing the bracket into position and reinstall the bolt. I have done this solo but a second set of hands to help hold things in place is always a good thing.
Step 4 Install the ball studs in the brackets. Please note how the ball stud is "outboard" of the bracket.
Step 5 Install the gas struts, and get rid of the nasty prop rod. We got here before I knew it and finally grabbed the camera.

(edit) Note how I have installed the struts tube down, rod up. this way seems to work without having to do anything to the wiper surround.

OK all you "background hounds" that's the wifes side of the garage and not mine. Please ignore the background and concentrate on the subject at hand.
Step 6 Trimming the frunk plastic. Scribe (notice we are using our combination square again) 3/4" from the front at that cutout for the headlight tab, and 5/8" down the side. Both sides mirror image of each other. Yes I'm the redneck in the camo hat again.

Then trim, a jigsaw is my weapon of choice for this job. I did not get an in-action shot of that but this is what the plastic looks like post trim. The other side should be a mirror image of this one. Thats it very minor. After this peekshure™™™™ I cleaned up the cut with my trusty file. For the truly anal folks you could flame polish the cut but trust me nobody is going to see it. they will be too busy looking at you cool gas struts.

Step 7 Re-install your now trimmed frunk plastic. It should fit like this on each side.

Step 8 Carefully raise and lower it a few times and make sure everything clears and you have no issues. Then Step back and have a look at your fine work. Grab you beverage of choice and throw me a long distance toast.

CHEERS! (back at-cha).

·
Registered
22,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right now at present I have 8 kits with me and I am waiting on the ball studs which should be here middle of next week. Let me know your intention and I will PM you the details for payment.

1. Burgan

·
Registered
22,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Burgan
2. kfx123

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have these and can vouch for the quality of the parts. Not using a prop rod on the Spyder and having the frunk lid and engine cover open with the struts makes the Spyder seem like a much higher end car. They're very easy to install and the price is right.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Dev, would you please add me to this list.

Thanks, DT

·
Registered
22,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dev! would this work with my veilside body kit?
That's a good question since the Veilside hood is different and has different mounting holes I suspect.
I am sure it will work however you may have to drill and mount the brackets to get them to fit.
I know you may not want to hear this but to be frank the Veilside kit is Ugly and was selected as one of the 10 worst body kits of all time. If I were you I would look at other offerings as they are much better.

·
Registered
22,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1. Burgan
2. kfx123
3. tecaholic2

I will PM the people on the list on Monday for payment. Soon as the Ball studs come in Wednesday I will have the orders shipped the same day.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Thanks, I've been looking forward to doing this.

I'm thinking that if I put a strong enough strut on the engine hood, that with the electric release that I have, and no safety latch, I can make the lid open itself when I pop it. Duska and myself discussed this a while back, might have to find out now. :lol:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
... put a strong enough strut on the engine hood, that with the electric release...make the lid open itself when I pop it.
Not sure if that would be a good idea. I just checked mine. The hood will hang stationary at about 2 feet open. Lower than that, the line of action for the strut approaches top-dead-center. When the hood is closed the strut pushes straight on top-dead-center - there's no way to make the hood fly open the first 2 feet unless you add a healthy spring (latch popper) to get it started. A stronger strut will really load up the hood stiffening structure. As they are, they flex a little bit with the "standard" strut. A stronger strut could really start twisting things.

The strut mod is fantastic, though. I'd put it at the top of the list for mods.

·
Registered
22,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1. Burgan
2. kfx123
3. tecaholic2
4. vegeta114

I will PM the people on the list on Monday for payment. Soon as the Ball studs come in Wednesday I will have the orders shipped the same day.

·
Registered
22,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
are you doing another run of these or is this it?
The plan is to keep this going however I see delays from the time the product is sold out to when I receive another set.
As it is I has taken over a year before I was able to get this set. No fault of Midlyph it's just that he had a lot on his table and I suspect he will after this run. I will probably let him know to make more once six are sold. I imagine these are not easy to make considering the amount of time and labor involved.

I don't make much from these for my own personal cut however I like the fact that I am now collaborating with a few other enthusiasts to bring products to market.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That's a good question since the Veilside hood is different and has different mounting holes I suspect.
I am sure it will work however you may have to drill and mount the brackets to get them to fit.
I know you may not want to hear this but to be frank the Veilside kit is Ugly and was selected as one of the 10 worst body kits of all time. If I were you I would look at other offerings as they are much better.
Thanks Bud! But too late for changing my mind bought the kit a while back but I actually really do like the kit so no hard feelings. To each its own.

·
Registered
22,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Bud! But too late for changing my mind bought the kit a while back but I actually really do like the kit so no hard feelings. To each its own.
The the most import thing is to get what you and only you like. I personally do appearance modification for me however I also do them so my car looks good to others as well. No hard feelings at all, cars are just material things and I just wanted to point that out just in case you did not know the controversy around that body kit. I may not like the color of your carpet however it is you that has to live with it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The the most import thing is to get what you and only you like. I personally do appearance modification for me however I also do them so my car looks good to others as well. No hard feelings at all, cars are just material things and I just wanted to point that out just in case you did not know the controversy around that body kit. I may not like the color of your carpet however it is you that has to live with it and enjoy it.
I actually didn't know about the pros/cons of my body kit liking from our members. I just saw the car in a magazine and decided to buy a MR2 spyder and bought the body kit before I even bought my car LoL.....Well I hope with how I make my car will change others minds. I am very much and Exterior guy rather than a racer for speed I just turn to my GT3, Luxury comfort my my 5series BMW my little sports show car MRS veilside with a twist.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Hi Dev . . .

If I am reading this right, there are enough parts in the kit to do the frunk and the rear engine lid, is that correct? There no ball studs needed for the rear? Any instructions for the rear install available? Since I am one of the anal ones Midlyph wrote about, is there any kind of template for cutting frunk plastics or additioanl photos that show the finished product from the top to bottom of the cut? Photos of the rear engine lid with installed pars?

This looks like a great product. Any additional information for the mentally/mechanically challenged (that would be me) is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts