MR2 SpyderChat banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
The paint doesn't really need to be a perfect match with the paint codes. The paint in our engine bays is noticeably different than that of the body panels, which is probably the case for most. Current and/or prior owners' upkeep as well as re-sprays or other incidents will cause plenty of variation, I'm sure.

Either way, the brackets and lifts look great and work quite well. I know I'm happy with 'em and can definitely recommend them. Thanks, Dev.

·
Registered
22,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
The paint doesn't really need to be a perfect match with the paint codes. The paint in our engine bays is noticeably different than that of the body panels, which is probably the case for most. Current and/or prior owners' upkeep as well as re-sprays or other incidents will cause plenty of variation, I'm sure.

Either way, the brackets and lifts look great and work quite well. I know I'm happy with 'em and can definitely recommend them. Thanks, Dev.
the paint quality is pretty crappy under the hood anyway. A color that comes close is still better then no color at all.

·
Registered
522 Posts
the paint quality is pretty crappy under the hood anyway. A color that comes close is still better then no color at all.
Oh, I agree completely. I was only pointing out that "Rustoleum paint that comes close" would be perfectly fine, lest anyone think the brackets would need to match OEM perfectly.

You've got a knack for finding relatively small improvements that really add to our cars. The (right) little details can really make a difference. Nice work, once again.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Dev, i'd love to have front a front version of the single side swing arm like you did and which is what i have on the car, so is this option going to be available?
What got me thinking is on my spyder i use that hole on the fender for the latches on my hood, so i couldnt do this mod but looking at the pictures, theres another hole further up, do you think this mod could still happen if i were to use that hole and a shorter gas strut?

·
Registered
22,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Dev, i'd love to have front a front version of the single side swing arm like you did and which is what i have on the car, so is this option going to be available?
What got me thinking is on my spyder i use that hole on the fender for the latches on my hood, so i couldnt do this mod but looking at the pictures, theres another hole further up, do you think this mod could still happen if i were to use that hole and a shorter gas strut?
Hard to know if it would work as there are many factors one of which is how long and how many pounds strut would be required including a re-manufacturing of the bracket to get the angle just right for this application. The other big factor is that I have never installed this product on my own car yet as it is still in storage to see if anything can be done.
I highly recommend PMing Uncle Mush as he is the best person to ask to see if there is some modification that can be made but at the end of the day it really comes down to trial and error as nothing is certain.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Hi Bossman . . .

I don't know the answer to your question. Perhaps if you post a photo of the frunk and identify the placement you are considering, I might be able to make a guess. Dev is right, though, in that there are a lot of varriables -- position, angle of the strut to the hood and it might be a matter of your experimenting with the whole process (pioneering the way) and then posting for the rest of the community to know what you found out. sorry I could not be of more help than that.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
A single strut for the frunk lid sounds a little scary, especially with a shorter lever arm. I can see my lid flex and the hinges move as I'm closing it, and I have dual (longer reach) arms. A shorter lever arm increase the bending on the hood and the "single strut" idea introduces a racking/twisting load. Need a guinea pig to test out the theories.

·
Registered
593 Posts
After installing two yesterday in the FRUNK and two on the engine lid I would definitely NOT rely on just ONE on the FRUNK. Engine Lid - sure but not FRUNK.

Honesty, it is one of my FAVORITE upgrades by far. I cant recommend it more. If your in an out of any part of the car (front or back) a lot you will LOVE the mod. I will get so much use of of the engine lid mod for sure.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I suppose what you don't realise is my hood is aftermarket and it is almost half the weight of the stock hood but to be fair there would be no resson for me using two struts, i'm just thinking if i have one on the rear then why not the front aswell?

I'll post a picture to show what i mean.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

I crudely edited one of my photos so you can see what i mean but using the photo from the first post aswell, you can see the hole i mean, about two inchs above the hole where the strut is fixed. I cannot think why the bracket wouldnt work, other than getting the correct strut length because it appears the two holes in the fender are along the same line.

·
Registered
22,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
I have some good news. Today I helped a local member install his kit and that too with a carbon fiber hood.

We thought at first one 30lb strut was enough to support the CF hood but it became apparent that it was highly unstable in the presence of a gust.
It wasn't due to the weight but the flimsiness of the CF which oscillated violently which was enough to get past the pivotal point of where the strut gives out.

Oddly if it was the stock hood and it was a 40lb strut I think it would have been been better supported.

Once we added the second strut the hood was supported well.

In regard to that first hole I can probably check to see what happens if I change the position of the strut. My guess is that the hood travel will be maxed out and not reach the full extent of the strut or it may just work out fine. I will not be able find out until next week.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Please, let me know how it works out, it would be a good starting point to understand if your current setup will be suffice for mine. Will it be possible to purchase the two front brackets, i'm determined to make this mod work for me.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I have some good news. Today I helped a local member install his kit and that too with a carbon fiber hood.

We thought at first one 30lb strut was enough to support the CF hoot but it became apparent that it was highly unstable in the presence of a gust.
It wasn't due to the weight but the flimsiness of the CF which oscillated violently which was enough to get past the pivotal point of where the strut gives out.

Oddly if it was the stock hood and it was a 40lb strut I think it would have been been better supported.

Once we added the second strut the hood was supported well.

In regard to that first hole I can probably check to see what happens if I change the position of the strut. My guess is that the hood travel will be maxed out and not reach the full extent of the strut or it may just work out fine. I will not be able find out until next week.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
Went to add brake fluid (getting the intermittent brake warning light), and discovered that my frunk lid gas struts were dead. The nitrogen must leak out of them over time.

Sending them off to a company called StrutWise for recharging. Last time I tried sourcing a new pair from McMasters, it was a major hassle getting the threads and lengths all sorted out.

They held up for nearly 10 years. Now, my job will be to figure out the install procedure again. If memory serves, you affix the ball-and-socket end at the bottom first, compress the strut, then let it extend until you can fit the link at the top.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Sending them off to a company called StrutWise for recharging. Last time I tried sourcing a new pair from McMasters, it was a major hassle getting the threads and lengths all sorted out. QUOTE]

Wow, what does that cost? I had no idea that could even be done. PM sent regarding install

I went looking for and found my original sales receipt from McMaster-Carr I purchased:

2 of 4138T583 Gas Spring with Ball-Joint End Fitting 30 lb Force, 20.12" Extended Length, 8.27" Stroke

and

2 each of 4138T553 Gas Spring with Ball-Joint End fitting 30 lb Force, 15.24" Extended Length, 5.47" Stroke.

Each unit was $14.47 a piece back in March of 2012 I don't remember which set went to the front and which set went to the back.

Install instructions are available on Dev's website at: http://www.keytechniques.net/Gas_Lifts_Write_Up_V1_0.pdf

Hope that helps.

By the way, if anyone is interested in picking-up a set of brackets, Dev has them in stock. I made a bunch of them this summer for him. :biggrin-new:

101 - 120 of 131 Posts