MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
They know their stuff. You wont fool them with an aftermarket exhaust manifold. Everyone knows at this point stock 2zz manifold doesnt fit without lowering or cutting the subframe. They expect to see those subframe mods.

Intake must be OEM or have a CARB number if aftermarket
Hm. So they don't have any reference. That's good to know. Thanks.

But yes, I was thinking something different like a certain 1.6L 3-cylinder engine, that if released, would be very limited in production.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2. All model year vehicles (gasoline, diesel, hybrid, CNG, LNG, LPG, etc.) must meet the following:
  • c. Certification Type - The certification type (California or Federal certification) of the engine and recipient vehicle must be the same or, if not, the engine must adhere to the more stringent standard. For example, a California certified engine may be installed in a Federal vehicle but a Federal engine may not be installed in a California vehicle. Proof of the certification type from the manufacturer or CARB EO of the donor engine must be provided at the time of the engine change inspection at the Referee.
    • Find a California based Celica, which has VIN information of being originally sold here in California.
If the donor vehicle is a working/running Celica GTS from Washington, would it be considered California certified if it is driven down to California, and gets a CA title and plates?

·
Registered
2 Posts
<> - Question regarding: FUEL TANK - <>

Are you BAR-legal 2ZZ people modifying your MR2 Spyder chassis to accommodate the OEM Celica/Matrix Fuel Tank? If so, how?​
6. Emissions Systems

• All emissions systems (including the evaporative system monitoring) from the donor vehicle must be installed and fully functional. For example, the evaporative system components, i.e. plumbing, canister, TANKS, valves, etc. must be present and functioning.
If tanks count as an emissions component, how are your Fuel Tanks complying with Emissions?​
Are you reintegrating the Celica/Matrix Fuel Tank OEM sensors/pump into the Spyder's OEM Fuel Tank?​
Are you swapping the Fuel Tank whole?​

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
You use the spyder fuel tank with the celica or matrix evap canister.

FYI the canisters are all the same only the brackets are different.

Reactions: BEARz

·
Registered
25 Posts
I finally found a donor but is an auto. Taking a look at the various threads I don't see anything about the ECU VIN having to match the engine VIN, meaning I can mix and match an auto 2002 GTS engine with a manual 2002 manual ECU?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally found a donor but is an auto. Taking a look at the various threads I don't see anything about the ECU VIN having to match the engine VIN, meaning I can mix and match an auto 2002 GTS engine with a manual 2002 manual ECU?
I believe as long as your MT ECU is CARB legal and doesn't throw out codes. Probably part of the reason why I don't see too many BAR legal 2GR MT builds.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Too risky. Find a manual. When they run the vin on the donor its going to come back as an auto. You don't want to deal with issues like that.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts