MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, i did a stupid this last autocross season and ended up grinding a cam and roasting a rod bearing. Old block is still 'good' but decided to take the opportunity to do an upgrade to see what more was in these engines. After finally getting rid of the 1zz exhaust w/ swap header setup and feeling the power difference from the car not being choked it was too hard not to go further.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Yellow

Light Wood Auto part Engineering Machine
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Tableware Drinkware Dishware Automotive tire Serveware

Very small nick out of the cylinder wall of #3 that goes right below the first ring. According to some people on the internet they've came across the same nick and they've still been running on it.

Meanwhile i had just gotten my titanium custom exhaust finished a few weeks before...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle fork Bicycle part Automotive lighting

She screams and turns heads...

Anyways

So for the new build, have a fresh completely virgin short block 2zz-ge and will be working with DDPR in Texas for parts and tuning.

New short block 2zz-ge
stock main bearings
ACL rod bearings
ARP head studs
Race ported 2zz head + combustion chambers
Race ported 2zz Matrix XRS intake (i don't want to cut through the firewall, so not running the DDPR intake)
Ferrea Roller Rockers (low cam delete rockers)
Full Ferrea Valvetrain (dual springs, titanium retainers, seat locators, valve locks, super alloy exhaust valves, competition plus intake valves)
Carrillo H-beam connecting rods
Mahle custom pistons at a 13:1 compression
Piper stage 3 cams to pair with the new Ferrea rockers
Injector Dynamics 1050X injectors
Full Link g4X Fury ecu system w/ new sensors + flex fuel sensor + CAN guage for dash
Boomslang harness for switch over from modified 1zz harness to Link system
Morosso baffled oil pan
Billet oil pump gear
Deatschwerks 265lph fuel pump for e85
ACT TC2-XTSS clutch kit (stock clutch i put in with the 2zz swap and was in for a year is still good but could tell i was launching it at autocross + needed something for higher HP)
LSD to be installed in my c60
Carbon synchro kit
1 or 2qt Accusump system

Taking a lot of lead from Kortik's 2zz N/A build in hopes to reach a safe 200whp (or more) N/A and potentially boost to a higher HP in the future. His build can be found here: New 2ZZ E85 record - 227 WHP on Kortik's 2ZZ spyder...
Believe the main thing holding me back from making anything higher is all intake based, Dave said the stock and aftermarket intake setups won't breathe nearly as well as a properly built one like they've done down at DDPR.

Major overkill for attempting to get N/A hp out of this motor but have had many friends who've ridden in the car after the exhaust was done and they said the car had to stay with this engine...
Thankfully crypto bought the car, crypto paid for the first engine swap, and crypto will pay for this one as well.... and i made the stupid bet to the car group that if ETH hits 5k I'm going Monocraft Widebody too... God save me and my hard-storage wallet...

Registered
Idk why but that pic with your feet up is fairly satisfying...probably bc the engine bay os so damn clean too

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Idk why but that pic with your feet up is fairly satisfying...probably bc the engine bay os so damn clean too
Ha, thanks. I'll be scrubbing the bay out as best as possible while everything is out again to make it look clean after a CV boot tore and painted grease everywhere... Scrubbed it off the sub frame when we had the back off for building the exhaust

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That will be sweet!

But you could do it for a lot cheaper with a junkyard Camry 2AR;).
Yeah, but the titanium exhaust and mods I did for the car are for the 2zz... So she'll stay 2zz.
Next shell I find though, that'll either be 2ar or 2gr.
Though with the 2ar the pricing/availability and wait time on more mods to be made are a downside... LSD for an EB60 is 4x the price of mine, so the money would be spent either way

Registered
Yeah, but the titanium exhaust and mods I did for the car are for the 2zz... So she'll stay 2zz.
Next shell I find though, that'll either be 2ar or 2gr.
Though with the 2ar the pricing/availability and wait time on more mods to be made are a downside... LSD for an EB60 is 4x the price of mine, so the money would be spent either way
Eventually my Spyder will get a 2AR, it will probably be a couple years though.

Registered
Can I ask how much that custom exhaust cost you after all said and done? It looks like it belongs on a Falcon 9 rocket!

Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
Talk with Dave if you want, I'm using his DDPR intake manifold. The one on my car now is a Matrix ported manifold. I'm sure we can work on a price. Less parts for me to take home. If you're interested I'll give him a call and have him set it aside for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Talk with Dave if you want, I'm using his DDPR intake manifold. The one on my car now is a Matrix ported manifold. I'm sure we can work on a price. Less parts for me to take home. If you're interested I'll give him a call and have him set it aside for you.
Did they/DDPR do the porting on it? Dave said it was pretty specific for one or two runners on how they needed to be done. If so i'd be down.

Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
Did they/DDPR do the porting on it? Dave said it was pretty specific for one or two runners on how they needed to be done. If so i'd be down.
Yes. They did the port matching. I also had the TB bored out. But that's going away as well. Let me know and I'll get with Dave. Should save you a few bucks and save me some trouble of putting it for sale later.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes. They did the port matching. I also had the TB bored out. But that's going away as well. Let me know and I'll get with Dave. Should save you a few bucks and save me some trouble of putting it for sale later.
Sounds like a good plan. I'll give him a call on Monday afternoon sometime

Registered
Finally an interesting build on this forum. Looks like you have a great plan for power and reliability with the 2zz. Have you seen this catch can which returns oil into the Moroso oil pan?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally an interesting build on this forum. Looks like you have a great plan for power and reliability with the 2zz. Have you seen this catch can which returns oil into the Moroso oil pan?

I've seen it yeah, but I don't plan on running it beins I'll be running an accu-sump

1 - 20 of 29 Posts