MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Are you going to autocross it again? What class will you land in?
Sorry I missed your comment. Through NASA rules that no one uses but works for my small city I ran in B. Main competition was a 90's stripped BMW. With the power adding I'll probably be in ST1 or "S" but could potentially be in A.

As for scca rules I run in XS-B. Can do any mods I want to the car and run it without classing issues. Was running SSM. Most spyder's in autocross will run ES I believe. I don't really care where I class cause I'll just compare myself to the other mr2's at the meets, and I hate being restricted mod size to a class

Registered
Yeah Xtreme Street B is where most engine swapped Spyders will fall. The only rules are 200tw tires, for rwd the minimum weight is 2150lbs, and you have to have some sort of interior.

But Spyders are super competitive in E Street.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Update: Still waiting on Pistons and Wrist Pins to be made by Mahle. Was told late April but the warm weather here has made my itch to drive way too strong to ignore.

So I did the right thing and bought a second engine to throw in till his big boy build is ready. This will hopefully give me freedom to make the new build with no rush and get it right and give me flexibility on when I want to put it in and make time to go get tuned.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Drum Automotive design Automotive exhaust
Wood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Chair

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Now that I've got 2 non running Spyder's I suppose that I should get at least one of them running. Have the junkyard matrix 2zz pretty much nestled in now. MWR wouldn't respond to me for the angled intake coupler for the matrix intake, so now I'm waiting on that one jungle website to get me a 45掳 here in hopefully 2 days...

The itch to drive is real.

Highly surprised that I got this thing finagled in by myself.

Tire Hood Car Automotive tire Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Engineering
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Asphalt
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Yellow Automotive air manifold

Registered
That exhaust is very one of a kind. I'm curious if it was made with the lengths of the runners in mind or more utilitarian to get things to line up, fit, & be able to complete every weld kinda way? Very interesting to see you use the engine crane to lift it once you got it under the car as well, I feel like most ppl use a jack combined with ratchet straps.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
That exhaust is very one of a kind. I'm curious if it was made with the lengths of the runners in mind or more utilitarian to get things to line up, fit, & be able to complete every weld kinda way? Very interesting to see you use the engine crane to lift it once you got it under the car as well, I feel like most ppl use a jack combined with ratchet straps.
The engine going in was more of a pain in the ass than intended, the car was sitting much higher than normal cause I've got the frame resting on jack stands, my one floor jack wouldn't go up high enough to reach. Ended up just using my strap and cherry picker to get it mostly lifted and then used a trans jack to get it angled and up the right way.

Really difficult doing this all by myself, I tell ya what...

When we made the exhaust it was more for proper flow, the flare cones from each step up in pipe diameter, all the bends to make everything fit in the small bay, its all pretty much as good as we could make it for great flow and small bay size to all meet into a 3" main exhaust. All the runners are equal length to about a tolerance of a 1/2"

Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That hurts my ears just looking at it. I bet it will make power though.
Lol, we tried getting her to start without the exhaust on and weren't getting it going. Checked spark, had spark, cranked some more, battery got low. Charged battery, threw titanium exhaust on beins it was hanging like 6ft away... Cranked again, nothing, loosened the fuel rail bolts and one of the injectors shot off and must have purged a bit of air out of the line cause she started sputtering to life after.

Then of course my dumbass being in the seat and exited let it idle for a bit then started revving it a bit and a bit more then up to 6k...

Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
Seems a shame to cut up such beautiful work but I get it. After my fifth exhaust iteration going on probably my 6th I'm not really one to criticize.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts