MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was roaming a junk yard a while back and found a Mk I MR2. I decided to take the mud flaps and see if they could be fitted to my spyder. They aren't perfect and will need sanding and repainting but they were only $4.00 each.

I needed to remove the metal bracket imbedded in the flaps in order to cut them to fit.

Here it is removed.

Then I had to cut away quite a bit of the attaching edge to get them to fit.

And here they are temporarily attached to test the fitment.

They still need some tweeking and then re painting. What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great idea....I always did like the little mud flaps....those and the overhang on the back of the roof...two little additions that made the MK1 so damn cute.

I think I'll follow suit....;)

Rick

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
A bit more expensive (but good Mk1 mudflaps aren't that easy to find anymore anyway..) is this suggestion: Original MK3 mudflaps.

Part number: 76095-17020-C0

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm just gonna add to the mix here, they look great. Good idea!!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Because of the rough shape of the splash guard/mud flaps, the cheap repainting done before the car was junked, and the differences in shape/contour, i had to do a lot of refinishing.

I had to sand them down and fill the dents and scratches enough to look decent. Then repaint them. I used the Bondo flexible part/bumper repair kit, some Duplo adhesion promoter and filler primer to get them into shape.

Then I then may have goofed up. I decided to paint them to match my 040 paint (like the OE Spyder splash guards would be) with the MR2 in dark contrast. The problem is that unless the fit is exact you will see a shadow line revealing any small gaps. This is them without the letters painted or any clear coat.

So now I'm wondering if I should repaint them to match the dark grey so the shadow doesn't show or take extra time and attempt to make the match perfect. BTW, even though I used the supposedly matched 040 Duplo paint the "Super White II" seemed too cream colored to me. I also have to add that the last two photos were taken under incandescent light so they look even yellower.

·
Registered
977 Posts
those are looking awesome! making me want to get ones for my car!! can order the mk3 ones from the dealer

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At MyToyotaPartsStore.com they are $71.22 each for Mk 3 mud flap/splash guards. So for $142.44 plus shipping is a good deal for mud flaps?

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
At MyToyotaPartsStore.com they are $71.22 each for Mk 3 mud flap/splash guards. So for $142.44 plus shipping is a good deal for mud flaps?
They were always about $300-$350 for the full set. The problem is that all of the online parts stores have the part numbers in their catalogs for the mud flaps, but I'm fairly sure they've never been available to the US dealers themselves. I'd be curious to hear of your results if you try to order them.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'd go with the dark grey to tie in with the other black/grey plastics of the grills, etc. Given that they'll be right up against the body, I think anything short of a perfect paint match would really throw the look out of whack. So, there's that two cents.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I bought my OEM mud guards from a chap on the UK owners site . . . Used and with shipping I think I still paid around $150. Sounds like a good price.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I ordered mine several months ago from Carson Toyota.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts