MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I are taking our first week long trip in the Spyder and we needed Luggage space. (duh) So I found this

and modded it to this

Gonna use a Lund weather proof luggage bag from Ebay ($20 shipped) to hold the luggage.

I'll let you guys know how it goes

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Great idea. I love to see people not complain about storage space, use a little innovation, and hit the highway.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Tell us more, did it require drilling to attach?

-Spargo

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

No drilling, the 4 straps hold it in place and it has rubber feet covers to protect the paint. I added some more rubber to the hooks to protect the edges of the hood though. It feels very stable.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LoL Autozone for 50 bucks so the whole thing, Rack plus Lund luggage bag, cost me $70

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I have always wanted a luggage rack but was put off by the price.This is a great solution.Even looks like it would hold more too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Test fit of the bag with luggage inside

The rear view mirror is now useless :p

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nice! I like the innovation &The price sounds good too. Let the wife take more shoes, I want to see the luggage stacked a good 3x higher:lol:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That is the strangest looking spoiler that I have ever seen! :lol:

Where I come from they call that "Southern Engineering."

Great Job! No crying and whining, just come up with something that works.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
That is the strangest looking spoiler that I have ever seen!
DUDE!!!

don't cha know a drag chute when ya see one?:cool:

nice solution.......i went with the ejector seat for the wife....no nagging, just my shoes, no worries:cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
LoL Autozone for 50 bucks so the whole thing, Rack plus Lund luggage bag, cost me $70
Did you add the crossbars onto the Autozone rack? If so, how did you attach them and where'd you source the bars? I only see a standard 2-bar rack on their online catalog but your final product looks great. Let us know (please) how it works during your roadtrip.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used the Highland 35036 universal rack the one in the first pic of the thread. It was the last one they had in the store so I dont know if it was a discontinued item or not but there are several retailers that sell it.

I cut down the length and width to fit the engine lid and re-drilled the bolt holes so I could used the supplied bolts to put it back together. And I moved 1 set of feet farther back from the edge so that they would sit on the lid.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If a dude in a civic sees you in a month you'll see 1,000 rolling around with these things as spoilers...:cool:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is what was left over after I redid the rack...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First day on the drive and the rack worked wonderfully, no movement at all. 2 full size bags and 1 weekender bag.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
About the middle of the northern section of Skyline Drive in Virginia.

·
Registered
527 Posts
how was the wind drag on the setup at a cruising speed of 60-70mph? Reasonable or did it get pretty noisy? Good to see a Spyder out on a road trip like this. I like the mod & those are some sweet pics... Very cool

1 - 20 of 35 Posts