MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total shot in the dark, but I'm trying to find a person or company that can modify the 2003+ headlight so that the headlight is baked, the amber lens is removed so there is a clear lens and an amber bulb, and it would be cool if they could paint the projector perimeter red like the one in this picture. Anyone have any ideas on who could accomplish this task?

I think it would look great on my car accompanying the red nose badge and red seats.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think the person just pop out the cover, paint the housing and painted that ring..
If I remember correctly there was a post about someone who did that a while ago.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Check the comercial sales section a new vendor is offering up such service for 80 bucks I think. But this is just to paint the housings black. Don't know how much they will charge for the extra stuff.

·
Registered
731 Posts

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Its really not that hard to open the case. I've done like 3-4 sets now. Easy bake for a few minutes at a time and pry them open trying not to get the glue everywhere. Once open do whatever you like to them. Not worth shipping such a project. Its probably easier than everyone telling everyone else to decat the cat themselves. If 15 other people said you could do it yourself I'd bet you you would. :lol:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info so far....I'm not much of a do-it-yourself guy so I'd rather pay someone who has successfully done it before to do mine. I'd hate to buy a new pair of 03' headlights for $450 then ruin one and cover it in glue while I attempt to take it apart after baking it.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Try the job on the 00-02 lights you have first.IMO the 00-02 lights look better with this mod.You will see how easy it is and build the courage to do it to the 03-up lights.I used led blinker bulbs because you can see the orange bulb when the amber cover is removed.Match painted white may look good but I have never seen it done.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good sh4branze! I'd like to paint my housings black like the 00-02 model, not sure how the chrome would look on my white car. Thanks for the LED advice on the blinker, I messaged a guy from one of the links above about doing this set up for me for the 03+ lights. Only thing I will need to do then is find out where I can buy a wiring harness since I know the 00-02 wiring isn't compatible with the 03+ wiring.

·
Registered
710 Posts
When I tried to pull of the plastic cover on the headlamp of the Celica everything went wrong.. so to learn from my mistakes... Don't set the heat too high cause my tabs turned to a liquid mess. Don't pull too hard when the light cooled down, I ended up with stress marks to where I pulled unevenly. I had a hell of a time trying to pull since the heat would go through my gloves and I could not get a good hold of where to grip and pull apart.

You can try

I really like their work http://www.clearcorners.com/showcase/

But apparently you have to be baller to get them to work on your car...

ClearCorners / Sales Contact [email protected]

Jan 5

to me
Good day Aaron,

we have not worked on an MR-S. Costs for HID upgrade typically start at
2000.00 USD per pair and go up depending on options. We use OE-spec bulbs,
ballasts and projectors. I suggest looking at various other applications
such as the Supra, Lexus SC, S14 240SX to see what our finished HID
conversions typically look like and cost.

Feel free to call if you have any questions. If you want to discuss this
project in greater detail, please leave us your full contact info as
specified on our contact page.

Cheers,

Michael Mamos [[email protected]] | +1-323-201-2713
ClearCorners.Com 4107 Magnolia Blvd, Burbank, CA. 91505
I'm sure they can do what you want and more if you have the money..
good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The below link is a list of companies that are recommended by www.theretrofitsource.com (the company I used to get parts for my retrofit). After working with them I would trust anyone they recommend to do a quality job.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/recommended_retrofitters.php

None of these companies will have a problem opening up your 03 headlights, removing the amber signal, and customizing a shroud around the projector for you. They might even have some custom ideas and suggestions for you.

Just to throw it out there. If you are going to pay to have custom work done there are options other than 03 headlights. Below are a few pics of the 00-02 headlight retrofit we did a while back:

By the way, your car looks great.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Was wandering on Yahoo Japan and found someone selling these LED rings. Looks kinda cool, I guess....though they don't look like an exact fit.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The below link is a list of companies that are recommended by www.theretrofitsource.com (the company I used to get parts for my retrofit). After working with them I would trust anyone they recommend to do a quality job.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/recommended_retrofitters.php

None of these companies will have a problem opening up your 03 headlights, removing the amber signal, and customizing a shroud around the projector for you. They might even have some custom ideas and suggestions for you.

Just to throw it out there. If you are going to pay to have custom work done there are options other than 03 headlights. Below are a few pics of the 00-02 headlight retrofit we did a while back:

By the way, your car looks great.
i have to have these! please pm me details. the page wont open. please let me know if info asap

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
VT06ME and ThangCu35....did you do those retro-fits yourselves or did you have a company do them for you? They look great!!! Probably put out a hell of a lot more light output then the stock 03 headlight. If you don't mind me asking how much was the production cost to have the headlights retrofitted like that?

·
Registered
998 Posts
It costed me $300 for the projector and a quality HID. I use theretrofitsource.com. You can use either the Mini H1 or D2S HID projectors, no cutting just use the supplied hardwares and it will bolt up. You will have to bake the headlights and remove the cover though.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey ThangCu35 do you have any pictures of your retrofit headlights during day and night? I'd like to see what they look like. Getting an HID retrofit for $300 is a great deal!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts