MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so everyone is saying that 7730 is the hub to get.....so that's what i ordered....toook everything apart to find out that the hub is wrong. it shouldn't have this big metal underside.

so what is it? did i get the wrong hub? did momo pack the wrong hub or put the wrong part number on the box? any input would be good. thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I personally don't know if that is the right one, but that is the model # that everyone here suggests, and that is the same model that 2 other websites I have searched suggested. I apologize, I don't remember the websites.

I ordered the same hub, and it should be here sometime this week. Hopefully it will be here soon and we can compare ...

Did you look at the write-up on spydermagazine?

http://www.spydermagazine.com/2003/Sept/paddles/paddles.htm

I know it is for a different hub, but you might get some ideas there ...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i've done the research and everything and i know this is the right part number...well at least thats what everyone says....even the guys at super autobacs say that 7730 is the correct hub. let me know when you get your hub and compare it w/ the one i got. hopefully momo just packed the wrong one for me.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Originally posted by UltraMagneticAL
yeah, i've done the research and everything and i know this is the right part number...well at least thats what everyone says....even the guys at super autobacs say that 7730 is the correct hub. let me know when you get your hub and compare it w/ the one i got. hopefully momo just packed the wrong one for me.
AH! So you are the one who called Super Autobacs! LOL. I was just in the store asking today and they asked me if I called!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got my hub today ... looks exactly like yours. I haven't had a chance to look at the steering column to see where the problem lies, but I will this weekend. I searched this site over the past couple of days and everyone who did not get the taka whatever hub got the 7730, so there must be a way to install it.

I will be gone for a couple of days ... if you figure it out, please let me know either by posting or by pm. If not I will be working on it over the weekend and maybe we can figure it out then.

Thanks

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay, i played around w/ the steering wheel again today and i finally got it in
the momo 7730 hub IS THE CORRECT HUB....but major modifications need to be done in order to make all the good stuff work. it's not very hard to do though. i haven't gotten the horn to work cuz i ran out of light outside....

anyways, here's what i did to get it in....

first you have to remove the steering wheel as described in the spydermagazine article.

once you have the steering wheel off, you have to remove some of the plastics to reach that black thing w/ the plugs. start off w/ the guage bezel. pull the top towards you gently, then gently pull the bottoms towards you and upwards. i found it a lot easier to pull out when the steering wheel was in the lowest position.

remove the two screws that were sort of behind the oem wheel. you'll be able to pull the top part off...but again, be gentle cuz it's just one big clip that holds it down after you unscrew it.

the bottom plastic piece won't come off, but it'll come low enough so you can see the plugs that go into the black plastic thing that spins. take those clips out, and you'll be able to gently twist that black plastic wheel out of where it's mounted.

after you get that piece out, you can pretty much tell which one is for SRS. i wasn't sure which one was the horn, but i'm pretty certain it was the white wire in that clip back there. i'll play w/ the wiring some more this weekend or something. but for now, just put everything back together

no srs light using my super ghetto method
let's just say it involves electrical tape

and the finished product

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
I know that floor mats are a dealer option, but jeez...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by southerneditor
I know that floor mats are a dealer option, but jeez...
i had taken the carpet out so the fab shop could put in my custom rollbar.

gigfast: srs warning light disable = electrical tape over the led
i have to get my hands on some resistors from my school today since i'll be in the engineering building, but until then, a lil electrical tape will do hehehe

oh btw, i passed by brs on tuesday around 6pm, but i guess no one was really there?

·
Registered
818 Posts
We were here at 6 on Tuesday! If you want, give us a call next time when you drop by (626)820-0406. Sometimes we close the outside gates after 5:30PM because its been hot lately!
Visitors are always welcome. We have been working really hard lately to finish our NSX kit and I've been feeling like a Hermit!

·
Registered
663 Posts
When I installed my Momo in my Bimmer, it tripped the SRS light. My solution was to measure the resistance of the airbag and wire up a circuit to replicate it. Three ten ohm resisters in parallel did the trick. I cut off the connecter from the stock wheel, soldered on the resisters, and coated it with liquid electrical tape. I did have to have a service shop reset my computer. You might have to do the same. If I had made the 'dummy' circuit before turning the car on, I could have saved myself the trip. I have pictures, but I'm new and don't know how to stick'em in here...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay, here's the rest w/ the wiring stuff....

the existing ground wire coming from the back of the hub is not sufficient grounding. so you will have to cut that wire and touch it to the hub and secure it. i just stripped a decent amount of the insulation and wrapped it around one of the holes in the hub and secured it w/ electrical tape.

next, i took out the bottom plastic piece (three screws) and exposed the wiring. the white wire on the black clip is for the horn and the yellow wires are smt stuff i think. (i have a 5spd so i dunno what those yellow wires are). the pair of yellow wires on the yellow clip is for the SRS. three 10 ohm resistors in parallel (3.33333 ohms) should disable the light. i'll try it out maybe this weekend. i have to find some resistors though. anyways, to run the horn is kinda tricky w/ this hub if you want a clean installation.....

you need a fairly long 22guage wire to compensate for turns since the horn will rotate w/ the steering wheel too. anyways, to run the wire, you'll have to thread it thru the hole where the ground wire came from and it will come out towards the rear of the hub and on top thru a small space between the metalic plate and the front main piece. i found it easier to run the wire thru the small spacing then kinda forcing it thru the hole. you'll need to get a slide connector since the one on the oem clip is too small. put some electrical tape over the signal wire and terminal on the button so if the horn button pops out for any reason, you won't have a closed circuit and an annoying horn going off

once you put all the plastics back, there won't be any visible wires

1 - 14 of 14 Posts