MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slowly I've been trying to add more power to the car.

VERY slowly. Not wanting to do a turbo or engine swap I guess I am kind of limited.

After adding an AEM cold intake I was thinking of a PPE Header Combo with High Flow Cat next. If I'm lucky I might squeeze another few HP outta that. Anyone have a stock engine with the PPE from Monkey wrench? I've heard problems with the 02 wiring for the PPE header. Anyone experience this or other issues?

All in all I thought it could add up to a good power increase, with little additional noise.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
seriously I learned the hard way that our engine aspirated doesn't produce enough hp turbo that thing up you wont regret it. I regret spending 3500$ to get just 132whp

·
Registered
627 Posts
T-town mrs has the PPE header IIRC. Ask him about how he took care of the wiring.

·
Registered
526 Posts
seriously I learned the hard way that our engine aspirated doesn't produce enough hp turbo that thing up you wont regret it. I regret spending 3500$ to get just 132whp
Hahahahahaha. I'm in this boat. Bolt ons on a na 1zz give you very little power increase for the money spent. Very little. I don't regret any of it. I think it's fun. Turbo would be sweet but with my current budget situation it's just not an option. Someday hopefully 2zz. PPE header wiring will not work the way they intended. Needs to modified. To a single 02 sensor splice.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Turbos are a nightmare to deal with and do things right. But oh when you do get all the bugs worked out and trust me there is alot of them. Dont bother with all the little bolt ons. Just save up and fight the urge to buy those little add ons. Then when the time is ready pull the trigger and hang on for dear life. No matter what you end up budgeting you will always go over budget.

Think of it this way.
Bolt on 1zz NA a little faster then stock, but you end up dropping 2k for 15hp.

2zz engine swap, expensive to a point but you got a much more then stock. With a factory tune and it's easy as pie to install.

Turbo, Oh the nightmare. Budget what budget that went out the door moment you thought of it. 8k later holy [email protected]#$ it's fast you could out run a 997s to 120 B) found that out the fun way. Got my ass handed to me after that, stupid gearing.

2gr-fe the more money then brains club. Solid reliable, all your power low in the power band, burnouts at 70mph. The big bad you have to make everything now from square one now days. If you're really stupid, ship off the engine all over the country for sleeving, coating, and a head build. Some how figure out all the wiring. But at the end of the day have a car with 911 gt2 power to weight ratio numbers.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
If by "good" you mean "not noticeable" then you're right on track. I wouldn't be putting down that kind of money hoping to get power gains. Sure, I did the i/h/e mods but I didn't spend a ton (AEM, Che, Team Moon) and it gave me the sound I wanted. Couldn't tell one bit of difference, and you're spending nearly that much on just a header that will do the same.

Coils, bracing, tires, braided brake lines...I thought these kinds of things actually added to the driving experience. If you can't afford to go really fast in a straight line, then be faster around the bends. The Spyder really responds to it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I also learned the hard way :lol: on a Mustang v6 2002 intake, exhaust, differential gears, posi track, tune, bla bla bla all for nothing, since that day i learn the only way to go fast is with a turbo or a very nice oem engine (sample: Nisan 370).
Is a learning experience, learn fast o waste your money, all for speed ... :lol:

I regret spending 3500$ to get just 132whp
:)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Came to think of 14-15 year old kids trying to get their 49cc scooters go faster by differnt add-ons. The only way doing that is to get a bigger cylinder but then they can be stopped by the police so... Otherwise it's just a waste of money. But the kids are having fun modding and the parts for a chines scooter are ridiculously cheap. They are having fun modding so... :)

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
If you stay 1zz NA, you're unlikely to get "big power" with simple bolt-on mods. The history we have with many owners proves that.

There was this one guy came here, trying to sell his 1zz NA build he'd funded for his son. He'd gone the full Monkeywrench route, with cams, bore, pistons, port 'n' polish, the whole 9 yards. He figured there was about $10,000 or so into it, and if I recall right, it was making around 170hp.

If you have that much to spend, you can get a fairly reliable FI solution that makes a lot more power.

On the other hand, going the I/H/E route (which I did) has its own advantages. Things like poly motor mounts and TB rotor upgrade add to the total package. Mine definitely feels peppier than stock. If you work the whole system, you can probably gain around 15hp - enough to feel without spending crazy money or sacrificing reliability.

Just being able to "shift by ear" is in itself enough reason to make these moves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts