MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I'm a simple guy....any amount of oil consumption that makes me need to add more in between changes is what I consider 'high'. It doesn't make sense to me how an oil change interval within the objective effective range for a given oil would make a difference in oil consumption...am I missing something there?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
If you do an oil analysis & the quality of the oil is acceptable both at 4k miles and 8k miles then it is still within it's objectively effective range (not what the manufacturer states, not what ppl themselves believe). So if it is still working effectively then it makes no sense to me that the amount burning would be different.

If the oil has thinned out then it is no longer 5w-30 & thus no longer in it's objectively effective range. If its picked up too much contamination from blowby, etc then the same logic applies. That's my question (if that made it clearer at all).

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
That sage old saying was on sage old oil. With the synthetic stuff is pouring money down the drain changing it at those same intervals unless you're doing HPD. Independent 3rd party oil analysis has even shown the oils succeeding in their claims for 20k miles of protection. I still change at an interval which is probably too short of where it should/could actually be but thats because I also tend to be resistant to change...and the 2zz is high revving so I factor that into the rationalization of my irrationality.

Reactions: suoiruc

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Went to do the oil change today and thought I’d do the smt fluid, took the air cleaner apart and saw this. They struck again! View attachment 89232 I wondered where the insulation went when I found the deck lid insulation chewed up.
Snakes in the intake box...that'll fix that problem right quick

Reactions: randyinrocklin

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
So I considered that the clogged air filter might have caused the higher oil consumption and read that this is a possibility. It stated that a severely clogged air filter can cause a higher vacuum and pull oil past the valve seals and also mentions causing a problem with the air/oil separator in the pcv system, bringing oil into the intake tube but no oil was found there.

From my records, it appears that oil consumption increased by 2.5 times after 4573 miles, later in the interval. Maybe this is when the rat made a nest in the air box; I don’t know.
Interesting theory. I hope you never have the chance to definitely find out but it would be nice if oil consumption dropped back down for you now.

Reactions: suoiruc
1 - 5 of 5 Posts