MR2 SpyderChat banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So I considered that the clogged air filter might have caused the higher oil consumption and read that this is a possibility. It stated that a severely clogged air filter can cause a higher vacuum and pull oil past the valve seals and also mentions causing a problem with the air/oil separator in the pcv system, bringing oil into the intake tube but no oil was found there.

From my records, it appears that oil consumption increased by 2.5 times after 4573 miles, later in the interval. Maybe this is when the rat made a nest in the air box; I don’t know.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
So I considered that the clogged air filter might have caused the higher oil consumption and read that this is a possibility. It stated that a severely clogged air filter can cause a higher vacuum and pull oil past the valve seals and also mentions causing a problem with the air/oil separator in the pcv system, bringing oil into the intake tube but no oil was found there.

From my records, it appears that oil consumption increased by 2.5 times after 4573 miles, later in the interval. Maybe this is when the rat made a nest in the air box; I don’t know.
Interesting theory. I hope you never have the chance to definitely find out but it would be nice if oil consumption dropped back down for you now.

Reactions: suoiruc

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

Unlikely since the vacuum at idle is much higher than at full throttle with a dirty air filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone used this on their MR2 before oil change?

I’m considering doing it to see if it helps with oil consumption; maybe it will free up sticking piston rings? I used it previously on my diesel excavator and it made a considerable difference. It reduced blow by gases and exhaust emissions a lot and made it easier to start.
Can you think of or know any harm it may cause?
I have... make sure you take the oil pan off and clean out afterwards. All in all it doesn' t solve the problem though. It will only get worse.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Unlikely since the vacuum at idle is much higher than at full throttle with a dirty air filter.
Thanks, I was hoping to get an opinion from you! Do you have any explanations why the car would suddenly start using oil?
The only other thing I could think of is that maybe I failed to record adding oil early on in the interval. How common are hallucinations after the age of 60?
I know that I get dizzy every time I get under the car now.😵‍💫

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I have... make sure you take the oil pan off and clean out afterwards. All in all it doesn' t solve the problem though. It will only get worse.
I did read where it said to be safe, remove the oil pan. Who wants to do that? Considering the feedback on here, I decided to compromise and only use 8 ounces of the 32 ounce container and let it completely drain overnight. This might sound weird, but I also blew out more residual oil with compressed air; didn’t want any solvent left in there. After driving it a bit, checking the dipstick, the oil looks as clean as what I put in there.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Thanks, I was hoping to get an opinion from you! Do you have any explanations why the car would suddenly start using oil?
The only other thing I could think of is that maybe I failed to record adding oil early on in the interval. How common are hallucinations after the age of 60?
I know that I get dizzy every time I get under the car now.😵‍💫
The 2 most common reasons (besides leaks) for a sudden increase in oil consumption are one or more pistons with stuck rungs (when an oil ring gets stuck it really can't control oil), and Crankcase ventilation problems. What year is your engine? Was it sludged up? Have you recently been running it hard (like on track)?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
The 2 most common reasons (besides leaks) for a sudden increase in oil consumption are one or more pistons with stuck rungs (when an oil ring gets stuck it really can't control oil), and Crankcase ventilation problems. What year is your engine? Was it sludged up? Have you recently been running it hard (like on track)?
Thanks Dave, it’s a 2003, no sludge, and the wife drives the car.
Considering your post, I would conclude it’s a crankcase ventilation issue and I am tentatively attributing that to the clogged air filter till I can inspect the pcv valve and or track future oil consumption. It seems to me that a severely clogged air cleaner would disrupt normal pressures/vacuum within the engine and being that pcv valves are calibrated for a particular engine, making them sensitive to pressure variations, this might cause the flow of blow-by gases to route differently within the ventilation system affecting the air/oil separation and thereby burning more oil.
Am I not thinking about this correctly?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Thanks Dave, it’s a 2003, no sludge, and the wife drives the car.
Considering your post, I would conclude it’s a crankcase ventilation issue and I am tentatively attributing that to the clogged air filter till I can inspect the pcv valve and or track future oil consumption. It seems to me that a severely clogged air cleaner would disrupt normal pressures/vacuum within the engine and being that pcv valves are calibrated for a particular engine, making them sensitive to pressure variations, this might cause the flow of blow-by gases to route differently within the ventilation system affecting the air/oil separation and thereby burning more oil.
Am I not thinking about this correctly?
A severely clogged air filter will effect the crankcase ventilation flow, especially at high power levels and especially with a defective PCV valve. You would expect to see a very oily inside of throttle body and intake manifold.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts