MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are people mounting aftermarket seats (either fixed back or reclining and with/without sliding mech) such that they bolt into the 4 threaded holes that the stock seats attach to? Is it just a case of fabricating some steel mounts or are there ready-made brackets? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
With aftermarket seats you can use brackets and rails from Sparco, Bride, and Corbeau. All of them are bolt-on.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I just got a set of seats from a Celica, swapped my seat tracks and plastic trim over and called it a day. No plans on racing my car so I wasn't after a race seat.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The seat I'd like to try fitting is the Corbeau FX1, for which I just have a generic side-mount, that looks like this:

What I'm looking for is the bracket that is Spyder-specific and mounts between these mounts and the chassis. I see now that Corbeau carries car-specific seat brackets for the Spyder for $105:

http://www.corbeau.com/service/seat_brackets/

i.e.

·
Registered
937 Posts
my only question is that do they sit u lower then the stock seat?

i think i read on here someone had them and it sat him an incher higher with the FX bolted on it. :confused:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The seat I'd like to try fitting is the Corbeau FX1, for which I just have a generic side-mount, that looks like this:

What I'm looking for is the bracket that is Spyder-specific and mounts between these mounts and the chassis. I see now that Corbeau carries car-specific seat brackets for the Spyder for $105:

http://www.corbeau.com/service/seat_brackets/

i.e.
Corbeau's brackets are made by wedge engineering, as are recaro's and sparco's.

Aside from the Bride side mounts, you may have to go custom.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I like my bride type FG + fx1 pro. Sits lower than stock and is somewhat adjustable rake wise. Only complaint is that its somewhat difficult to slide front and back.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I like my bride type FG + fx1 pro. Sits lower than stock and is somewhat adjustable rake wise. Only complaint is that its somewhat difficult to slide front and back.

nice.

levi, will the Fx pro mount on the bride LF type seat rails?

when u say difficult, is that cause the seat skims the floor or just its the rails itself?

if i can go with the LF type and the FX pro ill save a bunch of money lol.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
What's the difference between the Bride type FG seat bracket and the Corbeau one I linked to, other than $140 extra for the Bride?
The one you linked to will sit higher than stock. The way the type fg works is there are 2 completely separate side rails and the seat can sit in the middle of them. In your case the seat would hit the bars that go across if you tried to mount it low. Also the side mounts themselves are about 3" tall as opposed to the ones you linked which are twice the height. Google some pics and it will make more sense.

I think you can fab up brackets using stock sliders that are better than these bride rails but if you want the easy button then I'd recommend this.

nice.

levi, will the Fx pro mount on the bride LF type seat rails?

when u say difficult, is that cause the seat skims the floor or just its the rails itself?

if i can go with the LF type and the FX pro ill save a bunch of money lol.
I'm not sure why its difficult but its not because the seat skims the floor. I think what makes it difficult is that since each side has its own slider you need to move both simultaneously and not push inwards or outwards.

I haven't used the LF type but Bride posts all their specs on their website or search the net for it. If the LF matches the FG then I don't see why it wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Guys I think the best way is to get custom brackets, I got mine for 100$ And there as low, high as you want.
I'll post pics in a few

·
Registered
614 Posts
Many places, how far are you from Chico Cali?? Sorry don't know the area but Josh at Chico Race Works can make you anything you want for the mr2. In my area I have a great fab guy named Rob, flipsidecustoms.com or I have the other option of Casey at Speedware. Get out there and meet some of the people that work on performance cars in your area.

The thing about custom brackets vs recaro or other brands is "Peace" of mind. I've seen some brackets that are too thin, and have failed in a crash first hand. So when the time comes I would feel much safer that the brackets that hold my seats in are made to my specs using high grade materials, and fitted properly not a one size fits all type of job. That's me but to each their own. I mean you trust your life to so little in cars and considering the velocity it's something to think about.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts