MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an avid SCCA and Vintage Racer, and also an owner of an 02' MR2 that has competed at Limerock, Watkins Glen and other venues for the last six years. Although, a highly competent handling vehicle, we all know that in base form, our car lacks a bit of power. Last Winter, while discussing this topic, I became friendly with Jesse and the crew at TurboKits.com. Located in Windsor Locks CT, the boys have an immaculate shop that also includes an in-house Dyno. We discussed what it would be like to build a turbo kit for the MR2. The intent was to build a full blown race car that when completed for 25K or less (car included)... would dust unsuspecting Porsche Boxsters and Caymans... as well as a few sleepy 911 owners... at the track.

The car already had a full roll cage, so in addition to the engine modifications, we installed custom Black Label Fab coilovers, larger front and rear rotors, fender flares, a rear wing, 17' rims and of course... a Turbo Kit (see TurboKits.com for complete specs). Jesse and his crew were meticulous in the instalation; making several design modifications required for a road racing application. When the car was completed, we tested it at Limerock Park in Lakeville CT.

First off, it does not sound like any MR2 that you have seen or been in on the street. This of course, is due in part to the custom exhaust and lack of emissions equipment. The car pulls like a freight train from 1450 straight through 5,500rpm. We scared the crap out of several racers when out of nowhere... this little car crawled up some seriously more expensive cars tails... and forced them to let us go by! Needless to say, the car is a success.

As a racer, I will not discuss my HP ratings... LOL!! Therefore, I would strongly suggest to anyone who is interested in a great street application or for those of you that need deeper emotional help... !!! to contact Jesse at TurboKits.com. Ask Jesse for the photos of our MR2 in action and don't forget to have him send a particular set of photos... showing a 2011 Porsche Cayman S that we put on the trailer and sent home along with its very disillusioned owner!!!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
This sounds awesome! Have any videos you can post up?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. Was definitely a fun day with great results. I put together a quick video of the DYNO, pics of the car and some track footage for those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuflyU5ReBI

Logs:
BOOST: ~9 PSI Consistent
IAT: 57c (idle) to Mid 80c for the most of the laps it only climbed into the 90s after about 20 minutes of consistent hammering. These numbers are from the IAT in the MAF so it does not take in account the water/meth injection's cooling properties sine that gets injected after the MAF (see knock below).
KNOCK: We didn't see a knock count over 20 in the logs. This shows the Water/Meth is doing is job keeping the temps down and stopping detonation.
WATER TEMP: - 85c water (idle) / 91c MAX - Stock Rad No Additive
OIL: We installed an oil cooler right off the bat. The oil temp gauge will be installed in the future.

The location of the roll cage didn't allow us to place the intake filter for the turbo up into the fender duct. I think this would have shown even lower IATs. Since they only seemed to climb with engine bay temps, not boost or knock count.

Overall it was a very successful day! We were able to test the BLF turbo and the rest of the kit parts under harsh conditions, log what was going on and have some fun!

Questions?

Kit Thread: http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?45819-100-110HP-80-Ft-Lbs-9-PSI-Introducing-the-NEW-Black-Label-Fab-Turbo-Kit

I am an avid SCCA and Vintage Racer, and also an owner of an 02' MR2 that has competed at Limerock, Watkins Glen and other venues for the last six years. Although, a highly competent handling vehicle, we all know that in base form, our car lacks a bit of power. Last Winter, while discussing this topic, I became friendly with Jesse and the crew at TurboKits.com. Located in Windsor Locks CT, the boys have an immaculate shop that also includes an in-house Dyno. We discussed what it would be like to build a turbo kit for the MR2. The intent was to build a full blown race car that when completed for 25K or less (car included)... would dust unsuspecting Porsche Boxsters and Caymans... as well as a few sleepy 911 owners... at the track.

The car already had a full roll cage, so in addition to the engine modifications, we installed custom Black Label Fab coilovers, larger front and rear rotors, fender flares, a rear wing, 17' rims and of course... a Turbo Kit (see TurboKits.com for complete specs). Jesse and his crew were meticulous in the instalation; making several design modifications required for a road racing application. When the car was completed, we tested it at Limerock Park in Lakeville CT.

First off, it does not sound like any MR2 that you have seen or been in on the street. This of course, is due in part to the custom exhaust and lack of emissions equipment. The car pulls like a freight train from 1450 straight through 5,500rpm. We scared the crap out of several racers when out of nowhere... this little car crawled up some seriously more expensive cars tails... and forced them to let us go by! Needless to say, the car is a success.

As a racer, I will not discuss my HP ratings... LOL!! Therefore, I would strongly suggest to anyone who is interested in a great street application or for those of you that need deeper emotional help... !!! to contact Jesse at TurboKits.com. Ask Jesse for the photos of our MR2 in action and don't forget to have him send a particular set of photos... showing a 2011 Porsche Cayman S that we put on the trailer and sent home along with its very disillusioned owner!!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
What software are you using for your data logs?

Can you post the raw log files for us to look through?

Also do you have any testers in warmer climates (AZ,NV,CA)?

I think the hotter ambient air temps might be a harder test for the meth set up.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. Was definitely a fun day with great results. I put together a quick video of the DYNO, pics of the car and some track footage for those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuflyU5ReBI

Logs:
BOOST: ~9 PSI Consistent
IAT: [SIZE="6"[COLOR="red"]]57[/COLOR][/SIZE]c (idle) to Mid 80c for the most of the laps it only climbed into the 90s after about 20 minutes of consistent hammering. These numbers are from the IAT in the MAF so it does not take in account the water/meth injection's cooling properties sine that gets injected after the MAF (see knock below).
KNOCK: We didn't see a knock count over 20 in the logs. This shows the Water/Meth is doing is job keeping the temps down and stopping detonation.
WATER TEMP: - 85c water (idle) / 91c MAX - Stock Rad No Additive
OIL: We installed an oil cooler right off the bat. The oil temp gauge will be installed in the future.

The location of the roll cage didn't allow us to place the intake filter for the turbo up into the fender duct. I think this would have shown even lower IATs. Since they only seemed to climb with engine bay temps, not boost or knock count.

Overall it was a very successful day! We were able to test the BLF turbo and the rest of the kit parts under harsh conditions, log what was going on and have some fun!

Questions?

Kit Thread: http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?45819-100-110HP-80-Ft-Lbs-9-PSI-Introducing-the-NEW-Black-Label-Fab-Turbo-Kit
those IAT are super HIGH! mine are 50C and that is max 103F ambient temp and more than 10 pulls in the dyno in the street max temp I get are 42C and at night 36 or lower. definetly that kits needs and IC

·
Registered
385 Posts
Great video and awesome car, enjoy.

Question: are you running methanol with that setup?

·
Registered
199 Posts
those IAT are super HIGH! mine are 50C and that is max 103F ambient temp and more than 10 pulls in the dyno in the street max temp I get are 42C and at night 36 or lower. definetly that kits needs and IC
To be fair, they did say they are measuring the IAT before the water/meth injection so I'm sure the actual temperature of the intake charge after the cooling effect of the water/meth is much lower. It would be interesting in future tests to provide the IAT before and after the water/meth for comparison. I live in a very hot/humid climate and this time of year the IAT on my stock Spyder gets as high as 130-145F when idling in traffic and drops to about 100-110F at 50+mph.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Power FC & FC Datalogit. I am not sure how much hotter we could get than the having the filter above and to the right of the motor. At idle the temps were 56c, I think the numbers go much much lower on a car without a cage where the filter can be tucked up and over into the fender duct. Sent you a PM too.

What software are you using for your data logs?

Can you post the raw log files for us to look through?

Also do you have any testers in warmer climates (AZ,NV,CA)?

I think the hotter ambient air temps might be a harder test for the meth set up.

Yes, as Turbolvr82 stated, the IAT is in the MAF before the water/meth is injected also the location of the filter is less than ideal due to the roll cage. I would expect IATs closer to ambient with a better filter location (something the customer will be addressing over the winter).

To be fair, they did say they are measuring the IAT before the water/meth injection so I'm sure the actual temperature of the intake charge after the cooling effect of the water/meth is much lower. It would be interesting in future tests to provide the IAT before and after the water/meth for comparison. I live in a very hot/humid climate and this time of year the IAT on my stock Spyder gets as high as 130-145F when idling in traffic and drops to about 100-110F at 50+mph.

Thanks :) Yes the car is running water / meth inj after the MAF

Great video and awesome car, enjoy.

Question: are you running methanol with that setup?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
would be nice to know the real iat then

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you look at the gain in IAT from idle to running on the track. There is about a 30c increase. Water / Meth mixture are known to reduce the IAT 25c+. So going by "fuzzy logic" LOL, I would expect the water / meth element of the kit is bringing the IATs back down close to ambient plus adding a layer of detonation suppression on top. Watching the Knock counts backs this up.

would be nice to know the real iat then

·
Registered
22,972 Posts
We discussed what it would be like to build a turbo kit for the MR2. The intent was to build a full blown race car that when completed for 25K or less (car included)... would dust unsuspecting Porsche Boxsters and Caymans... as well as a few sleepy 911 owners... at the track.
Not trying to knock the product but this is nothing new in our community. People have been doing this since the Hass kit came out and that was ages ago. Now it's who can do it the cheapest and still have a high quality product.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You make a great point and if you look at the price point of the kit for normal use, it's in the $3K range. Well priced for what is included and the parts are very well made.

Not trying to knock the product but this is nothing new in our community. People have been doing this since the Hass kit came out and that was ages ago. Now it's who can do it the cheapest and still have a high quality product.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
Having tracked a turbo spyder extensively for several years the biggest killer of engines on this car is heat and oil starvation. It would be interesting to see oil temperatures on that car.

It's good you at least have an oil cooler installed. The oil cooler on this car has to be somewhat large to be effective. The small sidevents oil coolers do not provide adequate cooling on a turbo car or even a NA 2zz on the track in hotter temperatures.

How much methanol/water did the car use? Did you have to refill it?

Seems like you have a good product there. Hope it does well.

I hope you got some incar video!.

·
Registered
940 Posts
You should be able to see on the PFC Commander that the AIT come down quickly soon after as much as 15C-20C. I would keep them no more than 50C-60C even with extended periods of 100F+ heat and anything over 90C is dangerous from my experience. The PFC is actually preset to retard at that point.

I did enjoy the video. Thanks for sharing! Oh, Jesse & Turbo-Kits.com are a great company!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Car looks like it's running good. Nice to see someone put the car through the paces on the track. Sadly too few owners will ever see a real road course. I'll be pestering you guys for a new turbo in a week or so.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The thing I'm worried about is that one cylinder would get the least amount of meth/water and that would cause the engine to fail in a track/race event.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes, no doubt, heat = engine's enemy. The coolant temps barely moved, so they were in check. The water/meth was doing it job based on the knock count or lack of. The next step is to add an oil temp gauge in to check those temps as well. This is the customers car, so we are recommending as we go.

We used about 1/2 a gallon per 20 min track session at Limerock.

We couldn't get the GoPro to mount properly, so no in car video, next time out.

Thanks, the product has definitely evolved from where is started many years ago and we are happy with where is it heading. Thanks for noticing :)

Having tracked a turbo spyder extensively for several years the biggest killer of engines on this car is heat and oil starvation. It would be interesting to see oil temperatures on that car.

It's good you at least have an oil cooler installed. The oil cooler on this car has to be somewhat large to be effective. The small sidevents oil coolers do not provide adequate cooling on a turbo car or even a NA 2zz on the track in hotter temperatures.

How much methanol/water did the car use? Did you have to refill it?

Seems like you have a good product there. Hope it does well.

I hope you got some incar video!.

Thanks Celi2nv!

I did enjoy the video. Thanks for sharing! Oh, Jesse & Turbo-Kits.com are a great company!

Sounds good, we keep the major components in stock, so we can typically ship these in a few days :)

Car looks like it's running good. Nice to see someone put the car through the paces on the track. Sadly too few owners will ever see a real road course. I'll be pestering you guys for a new turbo in a week or so.

The track events this year are on an otherwise internally stock motor. The customer is going to rebuild it over the winter and shoot for more HP. We can hopefully inspect the motor at that time. Otherwise there are no signs of uneven distribution. The water meth mixture vaporizes on contact.

The thing I'm worried about is that one cylinder would get the least amount of meth/water and that would cause the engine to fail in a track/race event.

Thanks everyone for your questions, comments and interest. It was great to be able to test the parts on a dedicated track car. That way, you know without a doubt it will work flawlessly on the street! Remember, the $25K is just an estimate on the race side of things. This kit is ready to go on your street car for $3195.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bump - We made is through the storm! We were down for a few days without power but back up now...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts