MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first time posting so go easy!
I and several other lads have mr2s for gravel-Forrest etc track days! Never really get out of second gear. We have noticed a few cars have definitely better get up and go in 2d gear we spend a lot of time in first reving the nuts of them to go to second for them to bog down in power!
We run way to big gravel tyres definitely not helping them! But same tyres on the better hitting cars! Just wondering if the gearing can be changed or any info on what gearbox is what?

·
Registered
535 Posts
For rally roard driving with the 1ZZ MR-S, the best is to swap the current transmission by a Corolla/Celica 2ZZ C64 with LSD.
On tacho at 7k rpm, top speed in mph are 1st (37) _ 2dn (55) _ 3rd (74) _ 4th (93) _ 5th (118) _ 6th (136).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For rally roard driving with the 1ZZ MR-S, the best is to swap the current transmission by a Corolla/Celica 2ZZ C64 with LSD.
On tacho at 7k rpm, top speed in mph are 1st (37) _ 2dn (55) _ 3rd (74) _ 4th (93) _ 5th (118) _ 6th (136).
Thanks for the reply. Yes so is that a gearbox internal swap or bolt on swap?

·
Registered
535 Posts
For a Plug&Play swap , you have to buy A Corolla TS 2zz gearbox. The shifter is in the same direction than the MR-S.
Do not buy a Celica Transmission > shifter is on the opposite direction. You will need to buy some stuffs to make the swap.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Font Material property Pattern Number Design

For more info:

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
What is your tire diameter? >/< diameter will change those #'s.

And Paddy, are these MR2's Spyders/Roadsters/MRS's with 1ZZ's? Going into 2nd at > 4,500rpm will likely bog the engine. I autocrossed my 1ZZ '03 Spyder, and the engine would bog when launching at 5,500-6,000rpm on DOT COMP tires. I started launching at 4,000rpm and had great launches. Torque and torque multiplication are your friend!
And welcome to SC!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is your tire diameter? >/< diameter will change those #'s.

And Paddy, are these MR2's Spyders/Roadsters/MRS's with 1ZZ's? Going into 2nd at > 4,500rpm will likely bog the engine. I autocrossed my 1ZZ '03 Spyder, and the engine would bog when launching at 5,500-6,000rpm on DOT COMP tires. I started launching at 4,000rpm and had great launches. Torque and torque multiplication are your friend!
And welcome to SC!
Gentle man! Yes we tun gravel tyres usual seconds off rally men! The size depends and some of the tyres are quite heavy compared to others. Could be any thing to as big as 205-75-15. But a great fun little car! On another note what suspension do you run for auto grass?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For a Plug&Play swap , you have to buy A Corolla TS 2zz gearbox. The shifter is in the same direction than the MR-S.
Do not buy a Celica Transmission > shifter is on the opposite direction. You will need to buy some stuffs to make the swap.
Perfect il be on the look out for one of those! These are a great little car and putting down the fastest times on track cheap fun etc

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Gentle man! Yes we tun gravel tyres usual seconds off rally men! The size depends and some of the tyres are quite heavy compared to others. Could be any thing to as big as 205-75-15. But a great fun little car! On another note what suspension do you run for auto grass?
The "size" question was at Funnyman, but that's a big tire! I have 205/55-17 snow tires for my BMW, and I thought those were big lol
BOLD...That's auto-CROSS...I do my best to stay on pavement 😉😉 I had Koni inserts, OEM springs and a 1.125" front anti-swaybar, nothing really special.

·
Registered
MR-2 ZZW30 2001 RHD
115 Posts
Some additional info:
If your car is currently a 6-speed car, the Corolla C64 gearbox is a direct swap if you swap over the shifter shaft.
If your car is currently a 5-speed car, then you need to buy a MR-2 shifter shaft (and I think also the reverse lockout housing). The Corolla shifter shaft does not work with the MR-2.

There are also 2 cheaper options to get better gearing:
Celica 1ZZ-FE 6-speed C63 gearbox with 4.3 final drive instead of 3.9 final drive of the standard MR-2 box. However this still requires MR-2 shifter shaft, so can be expensive if your car is 5-speed.
Corolla Verso 5-speed C52 / C251 gearbox with 4.3 final drive, this is a direct swap for a 5 speed car. Very cheap option in the UK to get a 4.3 final drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts