MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
As much as I admire Mario Andretti's history with racing he is a sell out for the corporations just like Carol Shelby and a whole list of people that lost their way and sold out.

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
I guess he's got bills to paid like the rest of us.
I don't think so. There are many people in the sport who retired with their life accomplishment at hand early in life and may have invested wisely to have a comfortable living. Then there are those that fallen into being a tool and selling out. The worst part of it all is that they are not coerced or tricked, they do it willingly knowing full well it's probably not what they believe in.

I don't care what a man does for a living but when he uses the good name he once had to sell crap and give opinions that he does not believe in it makes him a corporate shill and every thing he says from then on is suspect.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
He speaks the truth in this infomercial, even if he did sell out.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don't think so. There are many people in the sport who retired with their life accomplishment at hand early in life and may have invested wisely to have a comfortable living. Then there are those that fallen into being a tool and selling out. The worst part of it all is that they are not coerced or tricked, they do it willingly knowing full well it's probably not what they believe in.

I don't care what a man does for a living but when he uses the good name he once had to sell crap and give opinions that he does not believe in it makes him a corporate shill and every thing he says from then on is suspect.

Everyone is entitied to their own opinion. IMHO he can do what he wants. Whether he personally believes in our car, or something else unless you ask him is really hard to say. The fact that he is a bad actor doesn't make him a sell out. At some point he had to retire, like most athletes at a younger age than the rest of us. saying that he should have invested better, well may be true, but I can say that about a lot of americans as well, people don't invest money wisely and save well for retirement.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think doing some product endorsement, especially on things that are related to your field really makes you a tool, a guy's gotta earn a living.

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
Everyone is entitied to their own opinion. IMHO he can do what he wants. Whether he personally believes in our car, or something else unless you ask him is really hard to say. The fact that he is a bad actor doesn't make him a sell out. At some point he had to retire, like most athletes at a younger age than the rest of us. saying that he should have invested better, well may be true, but I can say that about a lot of americans as well, people don't invest money wisely and save well for retirement.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think doing some product endorsement, especially on things that are related to your field really makes you a tool, a guy's gotta earn a living.
That fact that he is a bad actor does not make him a sell out and has no bearing on if he is a tool or not.
The problem I have with Mario as I said before is that what he says when he endorses something is liable to suspect because it might not be what he believes in especially when he is being used because people will believe him at his word.

He can do whatever he likes to make a living and so can any dishonest politician that is not the issue. The issue is he is a cooperate man just like Jay Leno and the bunch and therefore he opens the door to be criticized and his words suspect.

Now I have seen that same video years ago and I agree with Mario but how much does Mario agree with the script is anyone's guess.
Incidentally I have read an old car and driver where he was asked to test various super cars at the time and his favorite pick with the NSX and what he said was it was the closest thing to and F1 car and I believed him because after all the NSX had a lot of Senna in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts