MR2 SpyderChat banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I wonder if you could get the 3mzfe instead and just adapt the 1mz intake manifold for an extra .3l displacement
I’m sure it’s different somehow with the wiring and marrying the transmission to it. The 1mz as of 200 miles now pulls hard, still has some issues where it chokes out/stumbles on WOT about 3.5krpm, could be related to o2 sensors, or tps, working it out with Doug at Wiregap, he’s the master at this stuff.

I received my paint today. Here’s what follows after July 4th weekend.

Paint prep/paint
Front top brace fab and underneath h bar brace
More fender pulling (looking into fender flares if those might work, there’s still some rubbing in the front)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Car is ready for paint! Will be doing a full repaint for the first time using single stage Nardo gray and I also have some clear coat I’m gonna add why single stage? $160 compared to $340. Let’s see i made a mistake with going single stage or not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
First coat, not bad in a little tend and a 5 gallon compressor with a husky spray gun. Going to do an additional 3-4 coats then clear coat it, even though it’s single stage.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Front under brace mounted,
Along with paint, need some touch ups. Front top tower brace manufacturing coming up in the next couple days. Ac factory recharge tomorrow, along with shifter linkage update. New fog lights and exhaust leak fixes later in the week. SEMA young guns coming up this weekend in PA. Hopefully I can have everything done by then.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Today I found out that the ac wasnt engaging, got it working thanks to Doug at wiregap, still working out kinks. Right now it’s constantly on and blows nice and cold but I need to figure out how to make it work like oem. I also learned that I should have done either full single stage paint or base coat and clear. Clearing single stage paint doesn’t work well or at least It didn’t work out for me, I’ve painted and cleared before, I’m almost certain it’s because of the single stage.

Making the shifter linkage more direct and adjusting where the location of neutral is Monday.

Tuesday and probably Wednesday replacing the leaking flex pipe on the exhaust and adding another o2 sensor.

Thursday adding 3.5 inch fog lights and fog light plexiglass covers riveted on.

Anyway, here’s some photos of what it looks like now without the front lower grill and fog lights.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Ok so the PA show is on the 27th, vendors changed dates, which gives me time to button up some things.

I added a new flex pipe and adjusted the clamps so no more exhaust leaks, and also added a o2 sensor I was missing closer to the headers so hopefully it makes a difference in the way it runs.

I made a shift boot and adjusted the cables so neutral is more centered and it shifts perfect now. But because I had to weld inside the cabin I accidentally started a fire and burned my seat... So, it’s good that it was only the seat and not anything else. I’ll have a new Bride seat coming in next week.

Got started on the front top brace support.

Things upcoming: Finishing front support brace, New Fog lights, and the new seat install.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Follow my Instagram for updates @andysautowerks

Tuner evolution/SEMA young guns this weekend at PA. Have been driving the car this whole week and no issues so far, so hopefully it’ll make it the 300 miles or so. Installing new bride seat the morning when I leave, I’ll post it on my Instagram page along the show updates.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
So day before leaving to PA my exhaust valved muffler stopped working. Luckily my friend had an extra exhaust cutout valve so I’m going to be cutting it up and replacing my valve in the muffler. It’s going to be electronic instead of vacuum as my last one was.

Here’s a pic of the valve without the actuator in place

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Working on the Tuner Evolution video!

The cars valve melted on the way maybe half hour later, so I’m going back to the original vacuum actuator and heat wrapping the exhaust and the actuator to minimize the heat. It gets so hot you can’t keep your hand in the engine bay, a fan would melt for sure.

New valve being welded in, and exhaust being wrapped.

Also a new tps sensor should get rid of the bogging when WOT.

Need to finish this weekend because I have a 2012 Honda CR-Z (6-speed manual) I’m replacing and painting the quarter panel on.

Plans for the future: engine bay/valve cover painting and making pretty. Right now it’s purely function and little to no show. Great daily driver but when you open the trunk it looks hacked up, missing they quality element.

Fender flares are coming or some type of widening, I don’t want the wide duraflex body kit everyone is using, I want something more clean, maybe I’ll try and mess with carbon fiber and fiberglass to see if I can use some flares/fenders from a cayman something like the one I saw at the show below or some universal ones.

I also want to do some sort of forced induction, either a small turbo or diy supercharger over the winter. But that’s in the future.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Got the new valve welded in and heat wrapped along with the rest of the exhaust. Will do a heat shield too sometime this week.

Yesterday I was driving and lost all my gears. It turns out my shifter linkage snapped so I fabbed up another assembly with a stronger design.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Installed a 190 lph fuel pump from mrw over the weekend to deal with the fuel cutting out when WOT.

Also made more heat shielding to help manage the heat

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
V6 project is complete. Next step is turbo build so look out on my channel for that. I’ll probably start a new post. Here’s what it looks like now. My YouTube channel is andysautowerks
10F1205F-4396-43C0-A19B-5DB393AA4640.jpeg 424C4AFD-75CB-4688-83AE-BA9EBAC00938.jpeg D8BA4B4F-4C9D-4E15-B3C0-C2D34F3ACEB4.jpeg

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #79

Not sure why it doesn’t come up but here it is, thank you!

61 - 80 of 80 Posts
About this Discussion
79 Replies
18 Participants
Andrei2cool2
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing