MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! :)

I wanna know that do you guys still think that MR2 is a good buy? I know that basic reliability is very good and maintenance of stock car is not pricey. But how is availability of some more exotic/more performance oriented parts? I think that at least hard tops are difficult to find and most of the links in performance part list doesn't work. So, is aftermarket good or bad in these days? I'm asking because MR2 roadster is very rare in my country.

I want real sports car which is cheap to run and have somehow good aftermarket support. I have test driven few sporty cars, but still the MR2 is my choice number one. (Because GT86 is too expensive in here)

Thank you for your answers,
Lasse

·
Registered
782 Posts
Engine wise you can't do much to the 1ZZ apart from a turbo kit which when you factor in everything can be expensive to do it right. Adding chassis bracing makes a big difference on handling.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
The MR2 spyder is a great sports car stock. I think it is extremely well balances and a high value if in good condition. A little bracing is nice. Hard tops can be found but I drive with the top down. All cars require repairs and a pre 2003 may have a higher chance of burning oil.

Find a good one and take a test drive. I did and came home with it.

If you need more after market support then look at a Miata. It is the same, just different.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you need more after market support then look at a Miata. It is the same, just different.
Wow, not really sure I agree with you on this one!!! Not the advice I would give out.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Its a 2150lb mid-engined, as far as I'm concerned as a base its as good as it gets for the price, its incredibly enjoyable, people love it and beg for rides, and driving it will literally make you a more positive person. After all I've put it through I still love it.

-Spargo

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I'll somewhat agree with this. If you're wanting bang for your buck with mods, a miata may be a better platform, but there also a lot more common. The rarity factor is nice with the spyder and the mid engine adds a bit of 'exoticness' to it all.

There's a few members here that are previous miata owners, and a couple that own both a miata and the spyder. With that, there aren't many people who sell their spyder for a miata though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for you answers :D

I'm keeping it quite stock (no turbo or engine swap cos of law restrictions) but it's nice to know that there is a decent aftermarket support if i want/have to change some parts. For example if the dampers and springs are worn out. (is those the right words?)

And about Miata/MX5... I like them, of course. Who doesn't? But still, i prefer more sporty and more athletic Mr2. I have impression that in stock form MR2 is maybe more capable and you get always decent performance, cos there is only one engine options. I'm not aware at all which engines are good buys in Miata, there are plenty of choices and displacement varies a lot. So MR2 for me :wub:
(Besides i have always loved toyota sports cars... )

I'm mostly aware what problems MR2 could have. I'm not sure which is the best way handle the pre-cat situation, but time will tell. Oil burning problem isn't a huge problem, cos every old toyota eat oil. Real question is how much they burn it, and the answer usually is: ENOUGH! lol ;)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Its a 2150lb mid-engined, as far as I'm concerned as a base its as good as it gets for the price, its incredibly enjoyable, people love it and beg for rides, and driving it will literally make you a more positive person. After all I've put it through I still love it.

-Spargo
The MR2 will have to be pried from my cold dead hands. I am extremely happy with my choice. I don't require much aftermarket support and love the low polar moment of inertia of the handling. Others may have a different opinion or needs (like a trunk). I stay away from Fiat and did not care for the Honda S2000 or Boxster, they don't meet my wants or value. If Lotus made a true convertible with better looks (Lotus 23 comes to mind) I might change my mind.

I would say the oil burning issue is huge. Forget to check it and it's history. Keep on burning more and it needs to be fixed. Look for a 2003 or later and your chances will be higher for not burning oil as much. Mine burns more oil than I like.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Lasse/Jooseppi, somehow i think that you are from Finland because of your nickname/real name.. If you live here, and do live nearby me (just send private message), you can test drive my car to understand what the car feels like. And i can tell what is available and where you should buy those parts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lasse/Jooseppi, somehow i think that you are from Finland because of your nickname/real name.. If you live here, and do live nearby me (just send private message), you can test drive my car to understand what the car feels like. And i can tell what is available and where you should buy those parts.
Thanks man! I send you pm. Nice to meet another person from finland, who is interested in this car.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The MR2 will have to be pried from my cold dead hands. I am extremely happy with my choice.
I have to agree that this has been one of my favorite cars and I'm glad that I did lose it. It's a rare car and fun to get the stares, permagrins and occasional sunburn.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hardtops are actually easy to come by, its more so that they are expensive. There are always heaps for sale in japan, just have a look on yahoo actions japan. Just need to find an importer that can broker the deal for you and organize shipping etc.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Performance parts, depends where you look and who you know. Stateside, there are a few companies that are developing new parts. If you want something very fast well blaze your own trail or get very chummy with the crazies in the UK.

Left stock the car is easy to maintain and affordable. Considering budget when modifying a niche market car built in limited numbers with little racing history (think about this) is not going to be cheap beyond basic mods.

Mods keep it simple. You want to go above and beyond requires you to have the money/time/skill. If you lack time/skill have lots of money to compensate and talk to Rouge in the UK to take all your money if you can contact them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts