MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, time to share the build. There was a milestone I wanted to reach and I hit it last night. I’ve owned a lot of cars and this has been in my list for while. I have mostly owned German cars (mk1 & mk2 VWs, E30 BMWs, etc) , but my most recent fun car was a 1968 Datsun Roadster. Car was a blast but after a spun bearing ended that ownership I knew what was next. Someday I’d like to have a Porsche but for now a 2ZZ MR2 will do.

Knowing that the 1ZZ was coming out, it let me be free to be picky elsewhere. I stumbled on a high mileage stock fairly clean body (from the pics). I wasn’t expecting to win it, but I did! After paying for a car I’d never seen in person I was at the AIIA waiting for my car... the delivery was quite a moment...

It did run ... however... 250k miles, and diff that wasn’t cooperating so I didn’t drive it. Here I am admiring my purchase...

The next day (5/30) it was dropped off at my house and the tear down began

On the ground, but for not much longer.

After a busy weekend, and a little mid-week evening work I got hit the milestone last night

Ive already got parts coming from MonkeyWrench Racing, and have already bought a bunch of other stuff. I don’t want this on the jack stands too long ... shouldn’t be too bad right ? ( lol famous last words)

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
The 5Th Pic Smile says it all.. These things are a blast to Drive..

Good luck.. What are your build plans..

Cap

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
North Hollywood, but yea same dump haha
The street picture looked a lot like Laurel Canyon and Victory. I work in Noho and live near Northridge. Maybe I'll see your car around!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 5Th Pic Smile says it all.. These things are a blast to Drive..

Good luck.. What are your build plans..

Cap
Nothing totally new to this place. 2ZZ with a 6speed and LSD is the plan, hopefully I will have all of those things on my checklist. My path and choices my vary a little here and there, but yea quite simple.

The street picture looked a lot like Laurel Canyon and Victory. I work in Noho and live near Northridge. Maybe I'll see your car around!
Yea that pic was taken between the yard and my buddies house. Both are in NoHo. I live in Inglewood, but maybe you'll see it around. Theres a few identifying cosmetic items that will be on the car so that if you see it, you'll know its me.

I already noticed that a yellow spyder I saw at AutoClub earlier this year is a member here, so I look forward to connecting my two worlds together and meeting some like-minded individuals.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I did the same thing with my "parts car". $1600 silver 01, didn't explode so I tried smogging it and it passed. Couldn't swap it yet because it's so fun to drive.

Since you're just starting and you're in CA, I highly suggest reading how to do a CARB legal 2zz swap and get a BAR sticker. It's been done legally, and all the info is available. It would really be a waste if you do it illegally and get flagged leaving you with a very expensive parts car that can only be sold out of state.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Biggest issue I have with doing it the way Ive read so far is to hack up the subframe to clearance the downpipe and then need to customize the cat section and hope the Referee likes and approves of the way it was done. I just bought a brand new Magnaflow CA-legal cat/ downpipe for the 1ZZ. This SHOULD be an effective and clean way to make it legal, however I realize what Im actually attempting to do.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The subframe can be spaced down...

As for the exhaust, you will need to take pics of measurements before cutting it up so that they can measure the new location and verify its distance from the exhaust manifold flange. It's very simple and not about what they do or do not like. It's how the law is written. Match the letter of the law, bring diagrams of the evap system to demonstrate correct routing, and you're good. Only thing they may want verification of in writing is that the ecu is correct for the vin, year, make, model of the swap and has a stock tune flashed. Much easier to achieve bringing a Toyota to a Toyota dealership than a Toyota to an Acura dealership for a kswap verification.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate your help, but as I mentioned earlier I have a path Id like to go down and whether or not you agree with it is your choice. Should the path I go down be a problem, then I can look at other options. What I would've preferred to do above all else would be a Lotus Elise exhaust and intake. Also Id rather use a new cat versus a used cat and thats not likely to be an option.

Is there a website that lets me search the toyota schematics to pull up part numbers, diagrams etc?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Made some progress on the two motors...

Original 250k motor got mostly stripped. Almost done with what I need from it.

shifted gears to the new motor. Pulled these little bad boys out. These are the updated ones so do I need to worry about replacing them still?

First part of the conversion is done... with more to come

Quick question. Pulled all the coil packs out and they all have hairline cracks down the middle. Is the a misfire waiting to happen?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would definitely replace those coil packs

Reactions: 2mAn

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update for the weekends work.

Stacked up the boxes that have been coming in. There’s actually more but this was a nice stack. This is most of the swap parts.

I spent some time cleaning up the wiring harness as it was a bit nasty. Took all the loose electrical tape and crumbling wiring covers and replaced it with new covers and 3M friction tape. Here’s a pic halfway through

I didn’t buy enough so I spent some time scraping the crud off the rear subframe, it was quite nasty and this was a pic, also halfway through

Finally a quick pic of the swap bracket and my hardware I bought for it. Painted it black to disappear in thebackground and used new 10.9 grade hardware to bolt it down. I’ll get 2 more for overkill haha

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thanks. Definitely will get it done before it goes in the car.

Any reason to get something other than Denso?
Not as far as I know of...Denso is good to go with

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Denso Coilpacks and Spark Plugs installed. Old Plugs didnt look terrible and matched. A possible sign of an actual, low-mileage JDM motor?... Hopefully...

Current Status of motor.

Can someone tell me whether or not I should worry about the lift bolts? They are the later ones, so I want to believe Im good. Just need a confirmation that as long as they are the updated ones, Im good.

Tomorrow, I will have more time to knock out a few more items on the conversion.

Also, just ordered a 1D0 Hardtop. Should be here in a few weeks. :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Why would you not replace the lift bolts? It takes like 2 min. Yeah they are probably fine (mine were) but pulling the valve cover to replace gaskets and check the intake lift cam is basically a requirement before installing a 2ZZ. While you're at it pull the VVT and VVL solenoids and check the filter screens. Its a PITA to do in the car but a breeze when the engine is out. I found a damaged solenoid during my pre install inspection.

I don't know what your plans are but you may want to move the O2 sensor connector from the the front of the engine. If you do any sort of aftermarket or custom header / turbo you will want the extra couple of foot to allow you to move the sensor where you want.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts