MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 40 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Props on the build and hardtop, it made the driving experience a lot better for me so I hope you find the same enjoyment from it.

Since it seems like you're in CA, have you found sticking to the legal setup tough at all? Is there a certain whp target you're aiming for in your setup?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Ive wanted to build one of these for a while so Im quite excited about the process and learning as I go.

I had bought wheels quite early in the build and with the needed lugs here, I test fit one of the wheels... I dont think Im going to run these juuuuuust yet haha

With that on my mind, I took a closer look at the existing 15" OEM Wheels and Im blessed with 3 different tires all in a 195/50/15 size. One was a 7 year old Falken that was showing cracking, which is definitely on the chopping block. The other 3 had either late 2017 or 2018 dates on them. Looking at the tread, one looked nice, but sadly it wasnt the one that there was a pair of. Trying to weigh my options, I decided to get a pair of Nankang Cross Sport SP-9 205/50/15s for $115 shipped from Discount Tire Direct. This will give me a good set of tires that have nearly matching tread, but not the Extreme Tires that I plan to run on the double staggered wheels. That wont happen until Ive got some longer studs installed though.

Heres the two different tires with good tread. Can you tell which one I wanted and which one I will end up with?... a bummer, but its ok.

Edit: I had some time in the garage and got a few things wrapped up.

Per MWR guide I capped and routed the Coolant Lines on the side of the motor. Ordered a few more parts, one includes the giant line from the side of the head to the hard line under the car.

Also installed the dipstick line, installed my 1ZZ alternator and install the wires.

Pulled the Carfax on the car and it’s got a decent maintenance record, probably will sell the good known used parts from the 1ZZ...but ultimately it’s all going to go away. Gotta get my garage space back.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My Innovative amounts arrived and I quickly wanted to install them. Got the side mounts installed. The driver side doesn’t have the provisions for the battery tray, so I will be looking for a better solution, also planning to use a smaller, lighter battery anyways so this didn’t really annoy me.

Slowly chugging along. There was a random T40 holding the last bolt of the heat shield of the 1ZZ exhaust manifold. Trip to O’Reillys today and I got to work trying to finish tearing down the old motor and tranny.

Got the manifold off, along with finally separating the motor and tranny. Gota few more pieces moved over to the other motor. Last thing left to move over is the 1ZZ oil pan.

Anyone know the torque specs of the bolt on the roller pulley, and the axle support? A little worried to go too tight because of the Aluminum Block. I checked the Torque Spec page but didn’t see it there.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I’ve been plugging away slowly at small stuff, nothing worth taking pictures of. Today however, a before and after of the 6speed going in.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,175 Posts
Thank you for posting about the innovate mount and the battery tray. You saved me an unwelcome surprise for my install next weekend.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok, still chipping away...

First things first, the front mount had a stripped thread.

I wonder why this was stripped...

Tappity Tap Tap

...and done!

Over the weekend I took the subframe to a self-serve car wash and power washed it. Much better!

I also had to clean up the threads on a few other spots on the transmission. No pics of that but chipping away on minor stuff. Hoping to have the motor and trans get hooked together and installed the car this weekend. Waiting for a Fidanza flywheel which should arrive Friday.

Stay tuned

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Ended up ordering a few more parts which will delay the install for another week or something...
Nevertheless, still have plenty to keep me busy. Finally removed the MWR PnP adapter and was a little disappointed at the short length of the Lift actuator. I wanted to run the extra wiring along with the rest of the harness, but that doesn’t seem to be the way they want it done.

Just for fun, I wanted to see if the 1ZZ ECU would plug into harness. I have a long term plan and was curious.

The instructions mention that the wiring for the TPS need to be changed, but didn’t say how... thanks... anyone know how and what needs to be swapped around? Also is this a change due to the 2ZZ wiring, or the position of the 2ZZ throttle plate? Where is the difference between a 1ZZ?

Next thing I did was to remove the old rubber shift cable isolators and installed these bronze ones from MWR.

DHL delivered my Cusco brace. Bought this through Yahoo Auctions via Nengun and it was a quite painless purchase. I would’ve had the rear bars also but lost a bidding war on eBay ... oh well

Was planning on installing this and the bp brace later, but decided to just do it now.

With that out of the way I decided to install the MWR swap header and I’m all for promoting your business but maybe check to make sure it doesn’t interfere with the stock bolts... insert facepalm here

A little motivation with the hammer and it’s out of the way and all installed. I bought all new hardware which is always nice to install With other new parts

Went back for some more. I actually painted this earlier today and got bored, so I went back down to the garage and installed it. This was actually the first thing I bought for the car, a bpbrace from phattires.

Here’s how it looked when I arrived, tightly packaged with duct tape.

...and after paint and install. Excited to get this car together and drive it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Still working on a few smaller projects. Without going into details I did get a few things done, wiring for the throttle body is done

checked the lift pump filter. Both were clean and I cleaned them some more...

Hope to have the motor and trans finally mated this week so I can install them next weekend

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Oil pan torqued down (9 NM!) so I got an extra set of hands and we took the motor off the stand. Now I can start installing the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. Hope to have it ready to install this weekend.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Did you replace the Water pump And thermostat as well? Both shitty jobs after the motor is in. Buy the celica WP it has a better impeller

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Did you replace the Water pump And thermostat as well? Both shitty jobs after the motor is in. Buy the celica WP it has a better impeller
Thermostat and most of the hoses were replaced, but somehow the water pump slipped my mind. I ordered it today along with the oil pressure sensor as that was broken on the motor. They will be here tomorrow

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well, I was hoping to get the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate but old the rear main seal bested me. I’ve now sweat and spilled blood for this car...

The old seal didn’t look bad at all, so I hope I don’t regret this.

Any tips on getting the rear main out without spilling more blood? HELP!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Maybe this will help

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, that’s done... Hopefully I didn’t create a new problem. Looks good though

Tomorrow I’ll finally get the clutch and pressure plate on and attach the motor and tranny together. Still hoping to have this installed on Saturday

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Check.

I’d be totally ready for tomorrow if the postal service weren’t such lazy f*#%$... twice they have “attempted” to deliver it... so my water pump and oil sensor have yet to be delivered, but I’ll be moving forward with the install tomorrow. I’ve got my buddy and my brother coming to lend some hands so I gotta move forward.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Looks good man. Hope you didn't leave too much 87 octane in the tank before you dropped the engine.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Looks good man. Hope you didn't leave too much 87 octane in the tank before you dropped the engine.
I've actually never driven the car, so I have no idea how much or what kind of fuel is actually in the tank. Im sure whatever is in there is 87 though. I will probably do a combination of adding some octane booster and mixing in 91 until I have used up the old fuel...

Back to the project, this week I haven't done much so far as my Tuesday & Wednesday nights have other commitments. However, I pretty much finished up the majority of wiring, routing everything like the original car. I fed the 2 additional connectors through the big firewall plug which was a pain in the ass as I had to de-pin the connectors. Also started hooking up the fuel line and the coolant lines, but stopped ...

I realized I made a big rookie mistake. I didn't hook up the throttle cable or install the A/C compressor prior to putting the motor in. Something that would've taken me 5 minutes is going to take at least an hour now. Probably going to remove the pass mount and drop/ angle the motor down a few inches to get some more space... fun... that is tonights goal. If that goes quick, I want to finish hooking up all the coolant lines and the front mount/ slave cylinder. If I can knock all that out tonight I will be looking good for wrapping it up this weekend. Fingers crossed!

I did finish a small side/ distraction project though. I don't like the stock seats and my driverside one was beat! Found a decent Celica seat for the driverside and finished it yesterday. Followed the guide I found here and it was easy to swap the rails over. Huge improvement! I'll add a pass seat soon, and then down the road when I track the car more I will be looking at a real race seat, but this will do for now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Looking good, those Celica seats look like they hold you in a lot better, did you get a chance to weigh the seat? Both the MR-S' OEM seats weigh ~67.4 lbs., with the driver side seat being ~34.

Really looking forward to seeing this car in action once you're done taking care of everything. I came across your Datsun roadster video and man, it made me really excited to see what you do here. (y)

21 - 40 of 132 Posts