MR2 SpyderChat banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
With the brake lines disconnected & not clamped off I have a feeling more air than anticipated made its way up into the lines. I’m not sure if a traditional 2 person bleed would be able to purge all of the air at that point or if a vacuum bleeder is needed. Hopefully someone else can help with that. I can tell you that there is a way to perform a solo bleed that is it only as effective as a 2 person method, but quicker as well:

I made my own bleed tool (drilled a hole into the top of a Gatorade bottle & put a length of clear tubing into the bottle (snug fit at the top). When attaching the other end of the tubing to the bleed valves the trick is that the tube MUST go up vertically above the level of the bleed valve before turning back downwards into the bottle. As long as the tubing is secured tightly and makes this concave/rainbow shape from the bleed valve any air that is purged will rise above & not get sucked back into the brake line when pumping. A small amount of brake fluid will always remain in the vertical portion of the tubing, thus preventing air from refluxing. This allows you to crack the bleeder valve and pump multiple times without needing to twist the valve open/closed with each pump as you would in a traditional 2 person method. Of course you still need to keep an eye on the master cylinder but after filling to the top you can pump for quite a bit before you even come close to running dry. For $5 worth of tubing and the cost of a Gatorade it works as good as any speed bleeder I’ve seen....and you can put that saved money into brake fluid If you really want to assess whether you get any air out just leave your phone recording as you pump and you can look to see if air was evacuated.

I hope that makes sense, I can post pics if it doesn’t. The good part is you can quickly bleed the brakes solo, the bad part is there is no one to drink a few beers with. Best of luck, it’s always seems to be something simple related to disassembly/reassembly and it’s just a matter of when that “Aha” moment will finally come.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Small update, I had this idea while taking the soft top off, and this bar seemed like it could be functional in many ways. I decided to remove all the extra pieces other than the center mounting bracket which can be used to mount a camera.

What I started with

Brackets removed

Ready for some paint, I had some rollbar paint leftover which I used.

and the final product installed

I haven’t driven the car since I installed it, but my engineer buddy is convinced that the bar does more for chassis rigidity than the hardtop. Whether it does or doesn’t, I’m happy with it and it’s staying. Hopefully I can get some in-car vids soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very cool to see your process!

Not that you'd have to worry about rain much in LA, but I heard that even the hardtop still drains water into the drain sacks for the soft top. Do you know if this is the case? I ask because the brackets furthest out hold up the drain sacks' shape and keep them from spilling water into the cabin.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Very cool to see your process!

Not that you'd have to worry about rain much in LA, but I heard that even the hardtop still drains water into the drain sacks for the soft top. Do you know if this is the case? I ask because the brackets furthest out hold up the drain sacks' shape and keep them from spilling water into the cabin.
It doesn't.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Finally got around to replacing the noisy axle...

I also said F**k it and ordered a bunch of stuff from Mitch’s Auto Parts, and will probably order the tires for my wheels so I can finally push the car in the canyons without fear.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
1000miles since the swap. ✔
Canyon run ✔

Our goal was to get to Newcombs Ranch but the road was closed. We circled back to the highest vista point and took a group photo.

Yes, that was the 914 I wanted to buy. Honestly happy I didn’t. It’s a great car but I think the MR2 is the one for me... Man...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Question about the defrost wiring on the hardtop.

The connector from the hardtop didn’t connect to the stock wiring and I read that further down stream it does, but when I looked deeper, it looks hopeless... what am I missing here?

This is the OEM connector, which isn’t as wide as the hardtop defrost connector

·
Registered
8,400 Posts
The hardtop comes new from Toyota with a connector plug that goes from the car harness to hardtop.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
The hardtop comes new from Toyota with a connector plug that goes from the car harness to hardtop.
The hardtop included this harness, which plugs into the hardtop, but not the car side. Not sure what needs to be done or what I need to change

When I got my car aligned it was brought to my attention that the lower bars were damaged so I had an impulse moment to buy all of the rear lower bars from Mitchs Auto Parts. All 3 Megan Racing bars.

I was pretty worried I was going to screw up the alignment so I carefully measured everything to the same length.

Here’s the bent bar in question. Both sides were bent the same way. (Insert female driver joke here)

...and all done...

I did a good enough job. Not perfect, but will work until I get back to have the alignment perfected again. The car certainly feels better and I’m quite excited to get the wheels and tires done. Hopefully that comes sooner than later.

·
Registered
8,400 Posts
Someone put a jack under the bars.

The hardtop cable plug should plug into a connector on the side of next to the where the passenger seatbelt is.

See video

Reactions: 2mAn

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
@silversprint Thanks, Ive seen that video, but its really not clear what he is plugging it into, maybe there is a secondary plug since theres no mention of disconnecting the softtops' defroster. I'll dig around in that corner and see if I can find where they plugged it into and get a better pic for anyone who may confused like I am.

In other news, I went to the Malibu C&C again this weekend. Jay Leno is always showing up with something awesome and this weekend was the penultimate car IMO... a McLaren F1. Truly amazing piece of engineering. It was surrounded the whole time, so I was lucky to even get this pic with nobody in front of me

After that, my buddy and I went on a canyon run up to Latigo Canyon. and then back across Topanga Canyon. We didnt find a nice vista point to stop at and my camera didnt get the run, sadly but we did take a quick stop at the Topanga Canyon vista point to get some decent pics.

I need to get a new driverside fender quite badly... ugh

I now have a full set of Celica seats and though the two dont match 100% perfectly I will try my hand at swapping over the matching fabric from the subpar driver seat to the better driver seat I have so I can have a matching set of Celica seats that are both in good condition.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Got an early start today and again tried to get to Newcombs ranch but once again the path was closed fairly early. Still had a good time driving the car though.

And now one of the two pieces that I’ve been wanting to install since I basically bought the car. Bought the duckbill from MR2 Ben (I think that was his name). It took too long to arrive, and took too long to buy the correct the paint. And once painted it took too long to install but the work was worth it.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts