MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Couple things...

This was helpful about 5 mins ago for doing this.

The mwr kit does now come with that retaining washer for the back bolt.

And for the metal bracket, I cut holes for the bushings, ditched the plastic plug thing and used a rubber plug. Much much more secure. Once the carpet pins are in the bracket does not move. Hated the idea of the front of the console having fake screws. I used some good quality tin snips to make the cuts I traced on with a sharpie.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
short throw shift - Supplier did a poor job desining the bushings.

I did not see this thread until today. Anyway, after I realized the two rear solid bushings were too large to fit on the metal bracket, I re-used the rubber bushings and completed the job. It seems to shift OK without the metal bushings. Wondering anyone did this? Do you think I need to go back to replace the rubber bushings with solid metal ones?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, decided to go back to stock on the shifter. I was fine with it but the rest of the family pissed and moaned too much. If anyone is interested in purchasing mine, PM me with an offer. I will probably take it to Fed Ex today and see what shipping charges are. I am anticipating ground to be less than $15. I can ship any method you like but if you choose one with no tracking number, that is up to you. The only piece I don't have is the small compression washer that goes on the spring shaft. I don't remember if it came with one, but I think that I just reused mine (i.e. it didn't come with a new one).
I know this is an old thread, but I just saw your thread. Same here, I installed the short shifter and did not like the feel of it. Way too tight when you when to get out of gears. So I went back to the OEM shiftter. Wasted $50. If I have to install the short shifter back, it would not take me more than 20 minutes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good guide, I will be doing it in the next couple weeks. One question...does anyone know where I could get a new "cap"...the plastic thing at the base of the shift rod? It is now an 18 year old piece of plastic; I'd like to go ahead and replace it at the same time if I can find a new one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
One question I always had about the short shifter kit, would it cause any additional stress to old shifter cables? I have the eBay B&M knockoff, and MWR brass cable bushings, but haven't had the time to install yet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow glad my thread has helped out a few spyder owners over the years. Just revisited this today after 6 years away.
It definitely helped me a couple of weeks ago when my wife and I installed our short-shifter. Please forgive me for not saying thank you sooner!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
No problem. I sold this Spyder I originally did the install on a number of years back. 3 months ago I picked up a stock 03 spyder again. I regret selling my old 2zz solar yellow 00. Anyway I ended up installing an Ebay $26 short shifter with the solid base bushings. Feels fine, use a heavily weighted shift knob to give you more leverage and reduce the effort needed to shift. If you use the spherical bearing shifter cable bushings it should allow enough rotation to not put any additional stress on the shifter cables.i still have then stock cable bushings in but I plan to shift to the spherical bearing ones.

The shifter takes more effort to maneuver st the beginning but after the new grease gets moved around it isn't to bad.

I do note that the original spring which bounces the shifter back to the center when in neutral is not strong enough after install. I haven't figured out how to solve this besides using a higher tension spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The mwr kit does now come with that retaining washer for the back bolt.

Does anyone know the size of this lock washer or where I can buy another one? I must have ruined the spring and it popped off and fell behind the carpet. I've tried all different sizes and cannot find anything that works.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does anyone know the size of this lock washer or where I can buy another one? I must have ruined the spring and it popped off and fell behind the carpet. I've tried all different sizes and cannot find anything that works.
are you looking for the lock nut washer? we do have a couple of these here. Came from our C's short shifter kit

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
search google (ebay) for 8mm (5/16 would probably work) push nut. I removed the shifter twice and decided to replace the push nut the second time. You will probably get a life time supply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
search google (ebay) for 8mm (5/16 would probably work) push nut. I removed the shifter twice and decided to replace the push nut the second time. You will probably get a life time supply.
Thank you, I bought a variety of sizes but I could not get the nut to stay on. I ended up drilling a small hole through the middle of where the lock wash should be and used a cotter pin.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts