MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I got the Opportunity to meet with Uncle Mush. We had threatened to meet before, but the gremlins of life keep it from happening.. Well it finally happened, Spur of the Moment.
I believe for the few hours we were camped at Dennys, we had solved all the problems of the world, past, present and future. Had a great time and would do it again in a heart beat.

At the end of out meet and greet, was the Car Comparison. His is a Show Quality white 03, mine is a DD yellow 01.
In snooping around the Cabin of his, I noticed a Mount for his Cellphone. Upon further investigation, I found out he made it.. and it’s SIMPLE.. Loved it..

His was a Carboard mold lined with Plastic Wrap, and filled with Bondo. Then Ground to shape, and painted Black. Held on with Self Stick Velcro Tape.

I was Soo impressed I had to do it..

This is My Version of Uncle Mush’s Mount, so this is Mush Mount V2.

First was figuring out how to do this.. I had the basic Idea, Stolen from Uncle Mush. Now to improve on it.
I figured putting the Bondo in a One Gallon Zip Loc Bag would be the Fastest and Safest way to get the Shape.

I blasted out to the Autoparts Store and got a 2 Lb Can ( 1Lb 12Oz now ) and mixed up just shy of half of it.

Then added a little Hardener.

Then Mixed it up.

The Color indicates the mixture of the hardener of the Mix. For these experiments, I went a little light. I ended up adding TWICE the hardener cream of the picture to get the color you see in the pictures. Also next time, I’d add a little more Resin, as the bag came out a little short. Nothing that could not be fixed, ( as you will see ) but this was a First go round, and I thought I’d shoot on the safe side.

Getting the Mix into the bag was fun. I used the putty knife, and scooped and twirled to get it in the bag, then from the OUTSIDE of the bag, I pinched it with my fingers to wipe it off the Knife.

Here is the Open Bag after scooping.

Then after burping all the air out.

I took the Bag, and molded it to the Top of the Dashboard.

Then to get a flat ‘Top’ to the Bondo, I used my mixing board to hold things flat.

Then comes the waiting part. I used some pieces of steel from the Hyd Press Parts, and used them as weights, then used a chunk of Brass Flat Stock ( a ruler would work but I found this first ), I held it to the Front of the Bag to make it Smooth.

I was here for about 20 Minutes.. all the Time ‘Poking’ the little pieces of Bondo goo left on the mixing board, till they were firm.

Then I dropped the Front Piece and went into the house for lunch. I left the top there.

After I came back, I pulled the Stuff off and took it in for the peel. Here is the Bag on it.

And here is the Bag off.

I did a little bit of cutting with a saw and came out with this shape. The 'Finger Notch' is really an Air Bubble, almost in the right spot.. I needed to fill it and re-cut it where I wanted it.

Then I put the piece back into the car and started to draw lines on it where to trim.

This is the First pass of adding Bondo to fill in the wrinkles.

This is the ‘Cheese Grater’ used to smooth the Not Yet hardened Bondo. MUCH faster than sanding.. and less mess!! DON’T Forget to let the Bondo harden a little before you run the Cheese Grater over it.. else it will gum of the Rasp and then cure in there!!

I used a wood saw, a cheese grater, a belt sander, Block Sander, and Drill Press for this project.

The Drill Press was used like a Table Router to put the Finger Notch into the Piece.

I bondo’d it about 10 times to get the shape I wanted, and fill in the Voids. The filling Bondo was mixed a lot hotter, and got solid in about 5 minutes. DON’T let the Bondo get full hard before you take the Cheese Grater to it.. as once it’s cured, it time to sand.

Here is a View of it in Somewhat Painted form.

I’ll be working on this a little as the paint dries, and then adding the Velcro tape to it..

The next Version of the Mush Mount will be on the Left Side of the Dash.

For now this is Perfect..

Thanks Uncle Mush.

Cap

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Hey, Cap! That looks great and I love your style and craftsmanship. . . . Makes me want to make another one for my car. I really enjoyed our visit at Denny’s. You are truly a scholar, a gentleman . . . And one heck of a nice guy. Thanks for taking a break from the grand kids so we could meet. I look forward to the next time.

·
Registered
770 Posts
With all due respect, Cap Weir may be the senior guru when it comes to analyzing and correcting problems with the Spyder but he doesn't know Jack about keeping a car clean!!:(:(:(:(:(:(

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
And I thought I had a dirty DD interior. Whats the point of this mod? to have a flat surface to hold your cell phone?

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Whats the point of this mod? to have a flat surface to hold your cell phone?
Yea, im not exactly understanding how this is supposed to work... If i were going to lay my phone in that area I would rather it be OEM. With the added piece the phone could fly on up towards the windshield during braking and with the piece not there the lid would stop it.

Now if this were being used as a base(so you dont harm your dash) to mount an actual bracket for holding the phone I could understand that.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I'm guessing you'll place the actual mount to the base so that you don't harm the dash.

I love working with body filler and fiberglass, as you're only limited by your imagination and creativity on what you can do with it.

A thought on your next mount on the left side of the dash. Take some foam core for fiberglass, and shape it smaller than what you want, then wrap with a couple layers of fiberglass. It should be lighter and less brittle than the filler made piece. You could even vacuum bag it with a small air pump and a gallon ziploc bag. The only thing is sanding fiberglass is a PITA.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if this were being used as a base(so you dont harm your dash) to mount an actual bracket for holding the phone I could understand that.
Ding, Ding, Ding.... We have a Winner!!!..

I think that is the, " I'll be working on it as the Paint Dries ".., part..

Cap

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Here is my phone mount (Mush Mount v1.0 :lol: -- thanks Cap!)

I started with making a cheezy little cardboard mold

Lined it with plastic wrap

Mixed-up the Bondo and plastered it into the mold

Shaped to size

Checked for fitment

Painted, installed suction-sup mounting disk, and installed on dask with velcro

Here is what it looks like when in use:

It works really well for my needs. I can still get into and out of the cubby quickly because the cubby latch is easily accessible. I've got a mini jack in the dash, close by so I can plug in and listen to my tunes through the stock head unit and that way GPS and phone calls also route through the head unit. When I go to a car show, I just detach the mount from the Velcro and remove the whole device. If I'm really serious about the show, I remove the Velcro from the dash and replace with a new patch of Velcro when the show is done.

Works for me. :cool:

I really like the ideas you shared, Cap. I love that you used a zip-lock bag for the molding process. That was brilliant! Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
thanx to both of you: Cap and Mush.

i've been looking for a way to make a support for my radar/laser detector.

i like it in the extreme left of my windscreen

i think that this will work

[the ancient adage runs thusly: "If it don't go...chrome it"]

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
radar/laser detector.

I'm looking for the Radar Dector that is built into the Review Mirror!

Cap

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
thanx to both of you: Cap and Mush.

i've been looking for a way to make a support for my radar/laser detector.

i think that this will work

[the ancient adage runs thusly: "If it don't go...chrome it"]
I'm looking for the Radar Dector that is built into the Review Mirror!

Cap
If/when I ever run a radar im thinking about using the visor mounting location. I took my visors off long ago and have knobmeister visor plugs so I was thinking about making a bracket to space out the plug enough to run the wire through it and bend it around to hook the radar to. So pretty much the bracket and how it bolts to the pillar would take the place of a traditional suction mount. Just sucks that the Good radars are anywhere between the $300-500 range and just not an expense i can justify right now.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Why don't you guys make fun of each other through PM's and stop the off subject comments in Cap's post.
You are correct, my apologies for getting off track.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is great i need to make on of these or if someone sold these would be even better because i am no good at things that involve details

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I seem to recall that you are some place close to fresno. If you want, we can meet up and I'll help you make one. It really is not that hard. I just made a "holder" for my cruise control control so I can mount it on a corner of the center consol rather than the steering column plastics. It is mostly bondo and came out real nice. I'll see about posting photos, maybe later today. Cap's trick using a zip lock bag san molding agent works great. Let me know if you want some help.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts