MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I was thinking of doing this convention,
but before spending alot of cash I want to here what everybody on sc think?
is it a good idea to invest in this transmisson for a turbo 1zz with nearly 400hp?

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=317&products_id=1183

the stock trans isn't so strong but what do you guys think ? invest in E153 trans or sould I just go for the celica 6speed?

Thanks !

·
Registered
794 Posts
i think any of those would be good swaps but i believe the E153 is alot stronger than the c60 six speed. Since your planning on having a 1zz thats around 400 horsepower i think it would be a good investment to get the E153

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think any of those would be good swaps but i believe the E153 is alot stronger than the c60 six speed. Since your planning on having a 1zz thats around 400 horsepower i think it would be a good investment to get the E153
The engine already produce that power and I have been driving with stock tran for 2 summer now,
but I am planing a tranmisson change, I guess the E153 is the best option, but I needed a secong opinion :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Do it!! Since your making all that power you might want to change out the final drive and 5th gear with that from a E53 trans.

Power wise, you have a world of options in regards to clutches you want to use. How many MK2's make more then 400hp many. All for the most part break the CV axles, or snap a drive shaft not blowing the trans case or gears. How many spyders make even 300hp few and far between, all have blown their flimsy 5/6sp trans multiple times. Think about that one.

Stock a E153 will top off at roughly 145 gearing wise some say it can go faster, I haven't seen it myself. With the gears extended you could top off around the 160 range easily. Stupid stock C series trans 5sp tops out at 135 found that out the disappointing way.

When you make that much power I really don't see why you would complain/care about a few pounds of weight. It's like someone complaining that their 50cal sniper rifle is heavy.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
If you are just street driving the car then I doubt you need it.

If you are racing the car then the E153 is a nice upgrade.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The reason I mention weight is that he hasn't broken the stock trans yet and didn't mention anything about broken axles.

If you're worried about gearing have the gear manufacturer change it to where you need it.

Don't forget the E153 is bigger and badder but that comes with the cost of more drivetrain parasitic loss and more rotating mass that will effect accel and decel times. :(

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I dont really car about the exra weigh,
my stock trans is still in good condition and the axels also , but I am building this car to enjoy it in trackdays but since i don't fell that the stock trans is relieble with this much power , i have feels like I sould wait until I have a stronger transmisson,

but do u guys think the acceleration will be much slower????

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
The one thing I wouldn't do with that much engine is the 6spd C60.
If you;ve gone two years on this setup now, why not just pick up a spare/backup 5spd and run until yours breaks (if ever)?

·
Registered
563 Posts
MikeV is right, grab a spare and you'll be good to go.

www.mfactory.com has a good gear calculator so you can see the ratios side by side as far as speed vs rpm. The heavier gears and axles do eat up a bit of power so you will probably notice it pretty easily.

The 6 speed does have issues when you're making big power the lotus guys eat 3rd gear all the time.

Put the OS Giken lsd in a fresh 5 speed and enjoy, if you want a little more reliability add a trans cooler to it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh and guys you sould know that in those 2 years i may have been driving the car for maximum 15Hours :p

haven't had more time for it :(
so the trans hasn't been that abused yet =)

·
Super Moderator
3,155 Posts
I say stay with what ever you are running now. I ran the C56 on my celica with 400whp and it never broke and raced it at least twice a month. If you start to shear gears you can always just get the JUBU upgraded gears as you break them.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
oh and guys you sould know that in those 2 years i may have been driving the car for maximum 15Hours :p

haven't had more time for it :(
so the trans hasn't been that abused yet =)
Ah... that could explain why the trans has held up so well!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do the Jubu 3rd and 4th fit the 5speed? MWR confirmed they do but I'm just double checking. I know the 5speed tops out around 135 but some guys who went from 5 to 6 speed didn't like the change due to having to be more accurate with the changes

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Do the Jubu 3rd and 4th fit the 5speed? MWR confirmed they do but I'm just double checking. I know the 5speed tops out around 135 but some guys who went from 5 to 6 speed didn't like the change due to having to be more accurate with the changes
I have topped 141mph rev limit 7500rpm running 205 45 15 tires on the back

1 - 19 of 19 Posts