MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend bought a 2000 mr-s with 131000. Somewhat familiar with the platform i advised her to delete the pre-cats in a hurry. So she bought a MWR header and midpipe, and a MWR intake. Bolted those in after an hour of adding header wrap. The car had a little more mid range just bolting in. With the obvious gain in cabin noise with the intake. After a few weeks of spirited driving we spun a bearing. Turned the car off right away and proceeded to do a quick and dirty job cleaning the crank, and putting in fresh Toyota bearings. Beat the heck out of the car on cheap oil. She passed the abuse test so she bought a emu black and harness from mwr. Did some street tuning and filled in a few gaps. I come from a back ground of tuning subarus.

The base map provided from MWR is adequate to get the car started and driving. The emu black does what I tell it.
One issue I have is idle control. But I believe it's due to a gunked up iacv.
So far pleased with it. It's obvious that the motor is already hurt because of the smoking issue. But today we put her on a local dyno in Houston, Black Night Specialty's. Made a modest 137whp at 5.7k and peak torque of 140 at 4k.
She plans to make it out to ifo this coming Sunday. She is just wanting some seat and track time. She also wants to autocross. She already has ksport coilovers and Falken rt660's. Very fun car. Plans to build a motor and turbo in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome! I never looked at a NA 1ZZ dyno but after seeing the drop after 6000, that's what I felt. Still a fun car in stock form and even more so with some mods!

Reactions: TXSpyder

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ive been looking at that emu black from monkey wrench racing. It’s good to hear from someone who has tried it out and had a good experience. Ive been curious about how it works. from what I understand it is a fully programmable standalone but the factory ecu still runs the gauges and air conditioning. One thing in particular I have been wanting to know is would the stock ecu still be able to be read using a scan tool to check “emissions monitors” not that i would ever try cheating through an emissions test 😇 although it would be easier then yanking a turbo off and putting the stock exhaust and stock injectors back in and plugging the factory ecu back in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive been looking at that emu black from monkey wrench racing. It’s good to hear from someone who has tried it out and had a good experience. Ive been curious about how it works. from what I understand it is a fully programmable standalone but the factory ecu still runs the gauges and air conditioning. One thing in particular I have been wanting to know is would the stock ecu still be able to be read using a scan tool to check “emissions monitors” not that i would ever try cheating through an emissions test 😇 although it would be easier then yanking a turbo off and putting the stock exhaust and stock injectors back in and plugging the factory ecu back in.
It is pretty much plug and play. Harness plugs right in. Just gotta run a vacuum line and install the o2 sensor and run that wire as well. The base map is enough to get started and driving. Tuning is straight forward. The logger works well. Lots of resolution there. IMO it's worth the money, and it's in the same ball park price wise as a pfc with a dataloggit and harness if not cheaper.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
That is an atypical 1zz dyno. It should be making more HP than TQ. What could be causing that?

The EMU Black looks pretty amazing. It's nice to have another alternative available to us.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My girlfriend bought a 2000 mr-s with 131000. Somewhat familiar with the platform i advised her to delete the pre-cats in a hurry. So she bought a MWR header and midpipe, and a MWR intake. Bolted those in after an hour of adding header wrap. The car had a little more mid range just bolting in. With the obvious gain in cabin noise with the intake. After a few weeks of spirited driving we spun a bearing. Turned the car off right away and proceeded to do a quick and dirty job cleaning the crank, and putting in fresh Toyota bearings. Beat the heck out of the car on cheap oil. She passed the abuse test so she bought a emu black and harness from mwr. Did some street tuning and filled in a few gaps. I come from a back ground of tuning subarus.

The base map provided from MWR is adequate to get the car started and driving. The emu black does what I tell it.
One issue I have is idle control. But I believe it's due to a gunked up iacv.
So far pleased with it. It's obvious that the motor is already hurt because of the smoking issue. But today we put her on a local dyno in Houston, Black Night Specialty's. Made a modest 137whp at 5.7k and peak torque of 140 at 4k.
She plans to make it out to ifo this coming Sunday. She is just wanting some seat and track time. She also wants to autocross. She already has ksport coilovers and Falken rt660's. Very fun car. Plans to build a motor and turbo in the future.
Standaard vermogen?

·
Registered
290 Posts
That EMU Black certainly does look interesting. As someone who has to swap out a PFC for a stock 2zz ECU to pass emissions, do you know if the EMU Black supports ODBII for emission testing? My gut says it probably does not as I don't know of any aftermarket ECU that does (at least for the 2zz).

·
Registered
2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 5sp, 137 hp
15 Posts
It was such a fun day! Oh hello everyone I’m the girlfriend! We will definitely keep y’all updated on our progress in the build and we both are looking forward to starting YouTube channels for his tuning and my build of this car as well as my other two project vehicles to follow! When we do we will share that info here for anyone interested in learning more!

We also tested out a feature on the EMU Black for Launch Control last night to prepare me for the track this Sunday at Import Face Off at Houston Raceway Park. It was easy to set up and control! I’m very happy with my purchase of the EMU Black thus far and cannot wait to see what the future has in store!

·
Registered
15 Posts
That EMU Black certainly does look interesting. As someone who has to swap out a PFC for a stock 2zz ECU to pass emissions, do you know if the EMU Black supports ODBII for emission testing? My gut says it probably does not as I don't know of any aftermarket ECU that does (at least for the 2zz).
I will try to see what I can find out for you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is an atypical 1zz dyno. It should be making more HP than TQ. What could be causing that?

The EMU Black looks pretty amazing. It's nice to have another alternative available to us.
No idea, I had about 3 hours of dyno time to play with it after it was pretty close on the street to begin with. That's all she would do. She was a smoker to begin with and still on choked up on the stock muffler.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m not sure on if can still be read for emissions but I will see what I can find out and let you know! Also mine will come due for Texas emissions check in February this coming year so I’ll know for myself pretty soon!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Running an EMU Black as well. First 1zz with stock ecu in parallel, then 2zz n/a stock 1zz ecu in parallel, then 2zz n/a w/ Marc's body control module, now turbo w/ body control module. The setup is dialed, just get in, turn the key, drive. The 1zz with stock ecu in parallel worked well but the 2zz sensor arrangement introduced some electrical noise on one of the legs. I assume the MWR setup has the stock ecu in parallel. I'm not surprised it doesn't idle well out of the box. Getting a stable idle can be tricky.

These were by final 1zz idle settings and I can't remember if they worked well or not.
Watch Photograph Light Green Product

I was targeting .98 Lambda on pump 93
Ignition somewhere between 12-13btdc on the table

As far as the EMU black having OBDII, yes it does have a OBDII CAN stream option but I haven't tried it for anything yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Running an EMU Black as well. First 1zz with stock ecu in parallel, then 2zz n/a stock 1zz ecu in parallel, then 2zz n/a w/ Marc's body control module, now turbo w/ body control module. The setup is dialed, just get in, turn the key, drive. The 1zz with stock ecu in parallel worked well but the 2zz sensor arrangement introduced some electrical noise on one of the legs. I assume the MWR setup has the stock ecu in parallel. I'm not surprised it doesn't idle well out of the box. Getting a stable idle can be tricky.

These were by final 1zz idle settings and I can't remember if they worked well or not.
View attachment 84900

I was targeting .98 Lambda on pump 93
Ignition somewhere between 12-13btdc on the table

As far as the EMU black having OBDII, yes it does have a OBDII CAN stream option but I haven't tried it for anything yet.
Cool thank you for more info! We will have to keep an eye on it. Idle is good as long as the A/C isn’t turned on for now. It definitely doesn’t like sharing the load.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts