MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone comment on what the MWR valve springs look like as far as color. MWR was supposed to install new springs in my 2zz head when it was getting re-shimmed and for some reason I dont think they did.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Audi I cant tell from the photo. Are they all black? I saw the MWR photo. But I want firsthand knowledge from someone who has them so tomorrow when I call MWR and ask them why I was charged for a set of springs and labor when they never installed them.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Sorry I can't get a better picture. The parts are already at the machine shop, but I might be able to drop by there tomorrow to snap a picture if I have time. The springs were not black. They had a raw finish from what I can recall.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Mine are red and black. They look exactly like the ones I had on. Going to call them tomorrow and find out what happened.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Confirmed with MWR after I sent them a picture that they didnt install the springs. Glad I looked. Not happy that I have to rip everything apart again. FML. :angry: Feels like this motor will never go in.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Trust No One..

Bieleve Nothing!..

My Motto..

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
Confirmed with MWR after I sent them a picture that they didnt install the springs. Glad I looked. Not happy that I have to rip everything apart again. FML. :angry: Feels like this motor will never go in.
Really. Like CAP said, trust no one. I can't think that this could be a mistake.
You should have asked them before showing the picture if they remember installing them.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Wondering if they forgot to install my 2zz????:lol: Seceriously wondering about my cams tho.

Really. Like CAP said, trust no one. I can't think that this could be a mistake.
You should have asked them before showing the picture if they remember installing them.
agreed

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
That is why I will never buy a built motor from anyone because you just don't know for sure if everything they said was done, was actually done.

Atleast you found out now rather than at 9k rpms when you thought you had good springs to prevent float and then bash up your head. :lol:

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well usually to avoid something like this from happening, I always ask for my old parts back. When I got it back I wanted to get it installed and meant to check it before I slapped the head back on and it slipped my mind. I remembered I had taken a picture before I closed it up. So I looked and I noticed that they were the stock springs and decided to ask here before I went accusing them. I called them and asked them what did there springs looked like and really didnt get an answer. So I emailed them a pic and told them that they didnt change the stock springs and they confirmed it. They said they had 2 heads with similar work getting done and thats where they screwed up <_<. So now on top of the springs that I now have to install, I have to make sure the re-shim was done. If I wouldnt have paid attention or didnt know what I was looking at I wouldn't noticed until it was too late. :angry: So today I spent taking the cover and cams off for the umpteenth time and taking everything else off to get to the springs. Really upset because I could have made the MR2 Spring Fling this weekend but now there is no way.
I dont know what they plan on doing to make this right if anything at all. It didnt seem like from the conversation besides a refund for the "labor" and a apology. Everything else was going to be deducted from the labor. As of right now I asked that my parts be overnighted. This is why I rarely if any send anything to get done anymore. Since I've owned my Spyder and Trailblazer I refuse to send it to a mechanic. But this was one of those things (re-shim) I was not comfortable doing myself. I'll keep you guys posted and may the force be with me.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Glad you were able to get it all sorted out.

For me personally there are very few shops that I trust my motor with. The rest of the car I feel I can work on/repair on my own. Even then, like you, I have a habit of double checking their work. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Wow....

To answer your original question, the MWR valves are kind of a tanish, bronzeish, grey ish color with white writing.

I would use the Ferrea valves & springs instead - they are Waaaay higher quality than anything else out there.

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
Well usually to avoid something like this from happening, I always ask for my old parts back. When I got it back I wanted to get it installed and meant to check it before I slapped the head back on and it slipped my mind. I remembered I had taken a picture before I closed it up. So I looked and I noticed that they were the stock springs and decided to ask here before I went accusing them. I called them and asked them what did there springs looked like and really didnt get an answer. So I emailed them a pic and told them that they didnt change the stock springs and they confirmed it. They said they had 2 heads with similar work getting done and thats where they screwed up <_<. So now on top of the springs that I now have to install, I have to make sure the re-shim was done. If I wouldnt have paid attention or didnt know what I was looking at I wouldn't noticed until it was too late. :angry: So today I spent taking the cover and cams off for the umpteenth time and taking everything else off to get to the springs. Really upset because I could have made the MR2 Spring Fling this weekend but now there is no way.
I dont know what they plan on doing to make this right if anything at all. It didnt seem like from the conversation besides a refund for the "labor" and a apology. Everything else was going to be deducted from the labor. As of right now I asked that my parts be overnighted. This is why I rarely if any send anything to get done anymore. Since I've owned my Spyder and Trailblazer I refuse to send it to a mechanic. But this was one of those things (re-shim) I was not comfortable doing myself. I'll keep you guys posted and may the force be with me.
If it was an honest mistake they would have just said we messed up, we will make it right and be done with it.
When you sent that first email asking what their valve springs look like and did not get a response it is typical of someone in denial that you found out and it shows arrogance on their part then you never will if they wish it away.
Sad really.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What a fiasco. I just emailed MWR asking them what they plan on doing to make this right. It cost me money already. Not including the show in Orlando (hotel, registration). I have to drop this damn thing again remove the intake manifold, timing chain cover (new gasket) headgasket. The only thing that saved me was the ARP studs since they are reusable compared to the Toyota OEM headbolts. But FML if my time putting this together the right way isnt worth something. The one thing I sent out to get done gets f up.

There way of making it right was telling me they were going to refund me the .5 hr labor of doing the springs and then going and deducting the cost of the VVT gasket and 16 dollars worth of seals and shipping. So it didnt cost them a f ing thing and I got no refund. I avoided MWR like the plague even when I went and bought parts. I spent well over 1500 dollars in my Stage 2 Pipers and a few things that just made it convenient to get while I was getting my Pipers not including what I got charged for this.

Everything else I bought for my swap was from DD Performance. The funny thing was and it goes to show the difference between DD and MWR. Is that in there credit DD sent me the wrong part on an order and before I had even picked it up at the Post Office Jason had already tried to call and email me to tell me. I didnt have to wait to have installed to find out on my own that they didnt complete it or maybe just hoped I wouldnt catch it. And it was because of that and the way Jason handled it that I tried to go out of my way to give him my business. I think I had even inquired about stage 2 Pipers from him but MWR has the monopoly here in the states. Could I have bought my PPE Cat directly from Paul at PPE. Yes. But because of the way Jason at DDP treated me and has helped me enormously throughout my swap I got it thru him along with my 2zz swap parts and small MISC items that I didnt really needed.

Sorry to go on a rant about this but I've taken one step forwards and 12 steps back because of this whole thing with MWR. Frustrating to say the least to see your motor in and ready to go and see thw work that a friend came down over an hr away to give me hand to drop in the motor to have to find out you have to do it all over again because they dont double check there work or were hoping that I wouldnt catch it.

@DeV your absolutely right. The fact that when I called them and asked them a simple question, "Hey what color compared to stock are your springs" and then go off into umm uh, Tells me a whole lot.
Even when I called Matt to let him know what happened he said he "didnt know anything about it" then said they would call me back because Gary was busy? Really? Someone makes a 700 dollar mistake in a shop and you dont know anything about it?

I'm just really peeved right now with this whole thing and trust me when I say this isnt over.

·
Registered
553 Posts
How did you pay? VISA/MasterCard? Debit card? And how long ago? Just asking because VISA and MasterCard will back you up on services not rendered and products not delivered. That goes for your debit card with their logos as well.

I work for the banking industry and it amazing how much they protect the consumer. You have 60 days from the statement ending date in which it appears. Just FYI.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How did you pay? VISA/MasterCard? Debit card? And how long ago? Just asking because VISA and MasterCard will back you up on services not rendered and products not delivered. That goes for your debit card with their logos as well.

I work for the banking industry and it amazing how much they protect the consumer. You have 60 days from the statement ending date in which it appears. Just FYI.
Already done. I sent MWR a email telling them they need to step up and make it right. I'm not asking for the world either and I am more than reasonable and willing to settle this. But not on my dime. As I have said before if they handle this the way they need to I'll delete my negative comments.

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
@DeV your absolutely right. The fact that when I called them and asked them a simple question, "Hey what color compared to stock are your springs" and then go off into umm uh, Tells me a whole lot.
Even when I called Matt to let him know what happened he said he "didnt know anything about it" then said they would call me back because Gary was busy? Really? Someone makes a 700 dollar mistake in a shop and you dont know anything about it?
$700 is a big mistake. If you ask me they are well aware of the problem and are trying to avoid discussing it with you. This is a money issue not a technical issue.

triz please don't think if they suddenly make it right you will have to remove the negative comments. If they were prompt and give you reassurances that they will get to the bottom of the matter that's different but it seems like they just don't care. If it is an honest mistake the only free pass they get is from criminal intent but negligence is negligence and a failure on their part. What they allegedly committed is theft.

I may have failed others due to negligence and it can happen to anyone. They do not owe you anything on top of making it right but if they are not initiating that at this point then the fault is with them.
MWR does not have the most stellar reputation on other forums but for some reason maybe luck they seem to be doing fine with us until now.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well they got back to me today after I emailed them last night. I ask for clarification on "well supply" (headgasket, timing chain cover gasket) who was going to be paying to have it shipped back and forth, installation of the springs. The one thing that saved me was the ARP studs. If they are willing to take care of these things, I'll be satisfied. As for now, I can say if anyone ever needs help taking apart a motor Im your man.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts