MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been on here awhile, figured I should make one of these. Here is the car when I first got it last year.

103xxx miles paid 7000 at a dealer. It was said to be in good working condition by their mechanics, later to find out it was burning oil and the engine needed replaced, so they replaced it for free! After that I got on this forumn to see what else I should check out. Pre cats were already gutted by previous owner so idk if it went bad and then they gutted the pre cats or what.
The first mod I did was add a team moon exhaust, once I heard it I couldn't resist.

I went with the dual aluminized, very well constructed, however I had a h*ll of a time getting the tips to hang at the same level. I ended up just making a hanger out of copper wire so they both sat level. Sound is great. Next thing to be installed was a trd spoiler, there was something missing from the rear and this seemed to help.

The only thing that was bugging me about the car now was the black wheels, don't get me wrong I really like the stock wheels, but didn't like how the previous owner spray painted them black, so I was debating on getting new wheels or putting some ones that I had originally bought for my old del sol. I decided to keep it cheap and use my old wheels.

I love the way they looked at first, but I slowly started to dislike them, mostly because they are so big, and HEAVY! So performance took a hit. But now I had the stock wheels for snow tires since this is my only car. Gotta love winter.

I went with general altimax artic tires, unstudded. They work great, as long as the front bumper can clear the snow, I can get through it.
I went to my first autocross last summer, I was instantly hooked.
The heavy 17" wheels really stood out so I started looking around for lighter ones. My uncle had a set of kosei wheels with re-11 tires and he sold them to me for 500! They made a huge difference in the way the car felt and handled. But now it was rubbing during hard cornering since it was lowered on tein s-tech springs, so I picked up a set of bc racing coilovers, 5k front 7k rear, it handles amazing. They are quite stiff though, a little too stiff so I set them halfway.

Stock strut compared to bc..

The bc coilovers are extremely well constructed and definitely look like they can handle
abuse without a problem.

Was a surprise to see a Ferrari there!

Hardtop next! Ordered it through mikev here and unfortunately it was damaged during shipping. However mike is a great seller and filed a claim right away with the insurance company, the insurance didn't give all the money needed to get it fixed but mike made the difference so I could get it fixed. He is great to do business with.

The package looked like it was dropped, but anyways it got fixed and looks spectacular!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Looks good. I'd say lose the pin stripe and tint and it would be even better. Youve done well so far keep it coming.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good. I'd say lose the pin stripe and tint and it would be even better. Youve done well so far keep it coming.
I'm not a big fan of the pin stripe either but it will probably stay until a new paint job someday. Selling the 17's and thinking about picking up a set of these for DD. 16 front, 17 rear. They are very light so it should not hinder performance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Recently installed slotted powerslot rotors and ebc yellowstuff brake pads. Stopping power is absolutely amazing, for the first 400 miles they were extremely squeaky, but they slowly got better until about 1000 miles and now it never squeaks. This brake setup works great for autocross and DD.

I also lowered the front 1'' and the rear .5''

Photos from an autocross..

Also photos from obx lsd install..

·
Registered
782 Posts
Good looking car. I had a DelSol too when I was younger. My hard top (from mike v, great seller!) got delivered (DHL) with the box really beat up. It had multiple layers of bubble wrap which saved it from damage.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
well done, extremely well done. love it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the pin stripe either but it will probably stay until a new paint job someday. Selling the 17's and thinking about picking up a set of these for DD. 16 front, 17 rear. They are very light so it should not hinder performance.
I have the OZ Superleggero in the 16/17 combo and love them. Here is what they look like on mine. I need a little more drop in the front, but went with H&R's on KYB instead of coilovers. In retrospect I should have went with coilovers.:angry:

Nice job on the car. How hard was it to install the LSD?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the comments! Greatly appreciated!

Good looking car. I had a DelSol too when I was younger. My hard top (from mike v, great seller!) got delivered (DHL) with the box really beat up. It had multiple layers of bubble wrap which saved it from damage.
The del sol got me hooked on 2 seaters haha, mine was packaged very well too. It looked like it was dropped or something very heavy slid into it. A+++ service to mike, he made sure everything was sorted out.
I have the OZ Superleggero in the 16/17 combo and love them. Here is what they look like on mine. I need a little more drop in the front, but went with H&R's on KYB instead of coilovers. In retrospect I should have went with coilovers.:

Nice job on the car. How hard was it to install the LSD?
I ended up selling my 17's and now I use the kosei's (15's) for DD and track use, I have a feeling I'm going to pick up some 6ul's in 15x9 for autocross with 225's. I'm becoming insanely addicted haha. Coilovers was the single most mod that made the biggest difference in the way the car felt. Your wheels look great btw! LSD seemed like it was going to be easy at first, but slowly turned into a mess haha. Biggest thing was getting the differential preload in spec. Everything ended up sorting out though. I actually just got it all back together this weekend so I will be putting it in sometime in the next few weeks along with an Mwr lightweight steel flywheel and exedy stage 1 clutch. Ill be sure to write a review once it is all installed. I have more pictures of the Lsd install I can upload if you would like.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I need a little more drop in the front, but went with H&R's on KYB instead of coilovers. In retrospect I should have went with coilovers.:angry:
I know exactly what you mean. I used to have H&R springs all the way around and hated the reverse rake look too. So I switched it to some TRD Sportivos up front. Looks better now but it's just a temporary solution until I get coilovers too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the new transmission installed last weekend. Obx LSD works great, huge difference over the stock differential. I also installed a taller 5th gear and it brought the revs down by 400rpm, which makes a big difference in noise on the highway. Between the LSD and lightweight flywheel, the cars feels very quick and positive. Also installed a exedy stage 1 clutch, slightly stiffer than stock, however the engagement point is more noticeable which makes it a little more fun to drive. Took some pics yesterday when it was windy..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts