1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hope I don't regret this!!

Details:

2001 MR2 Spyder, Black, tan interior
Car has 59,200 miles, and the 2GR also has pretty close to that. The donor car had 40k on it, so did my car when I did the swap (completed January 2010).
Garage kept as long as I've owned it (since 2006)
REAL TRD stage 1 lip kit (dealer installed from day 1)
Nice condition interior: No smoking, no stains, no tears/rips, etc...
Smog and registration are good through December 2013!

Engine, etc..

Engine is from a 2006 Rav4
Transmission is a 5spd S51 (longer gears than the S54)
Exhaust is full SS and will last a long time. Sounds excellent! Borla muffler and V-band connections.
Mounts are all thick steel (plus the CNC machined aluminum right side mount [Gouky's])
K&N intake kit, designed for 2GRFE Camry (works great)
Walbro 190lph fuel pump supplies more than enough juice for the V6
Fully functional OBD2 port for the v6 ECU.
All 3 cats... from a Lexus ES350, modified to fit, and cleaned up / opened up for better flow.

Drivetrain:
ACT clutch and Fidanza flywheel.
2003+ Spyder thicker left axle (new with v6)
Matrix thicker and 1" longer right axle (needed for v6 engine position... new with v6)
TRD quickshifter (modified for v6 swap)

Suspension:
Tein SSP Coilovers. They work well, the rates are good for the the V6. I wanted sightly softer rear for the 4-cyl, but with the v6 they are just right (3kg and 5kg IIRC)

Bracing:
Cusco breast plate
Cusco front member brace
Corky's front strut tower brace

Wheels/tires:
I think these are perfect for the Spyder. The wheels are Team Dynamics designed for the Lotus Elise. 16x7 front and 17x8 rear with nice looking offsets. I needed at least a 245, and a good compound. 17s have better tire offerings in the sizes I was looking for I ended up with Toyo R1R (street class autoX tires) in 205/45/16 and 245/40/17. I used a professional fender rolling tool on the rear to fit the wheels/tires.

Interior, extras, etc...

Nakamichi head unit, Nakamichi amp, CDT component speakers (clear and powerful enough, looks factory-ish rather than gee-wiz crap from most stereos).
2003+ rear gril and side vents
2003+ much nicer looking bezels on HVAC controls

Beyond that:
There were a ton of engineering/fabricating for custom parts related to the v6 swap including but not limited to:
-- shift cables, shift linkage, rear cross member mods, exhaust manifolds and exhaust system, all 4 mounts, transmission bell housing mods, etc
Of course there was all the wiring involved!!

The are a tons of things I am forgetting probably.

Lastly:

I will be replacing the S51 that I am currently running which has worn synchros (3rd gear) with a low miles unit (but with my modified bell housing). The synchros on the current box were worn from the day I put it in (got it from a salvaged Camry... as it had the model I needed to accomplish the swap with decent gear ratios...the model is S51). The trans has not degraded in performance at all for the past nearly two years and nearly 20,000 miles. I plan on installing the new box sometime in the next month. Furthermore, I would like to add that I think the S51 is the right choice for the 2GR Spyder, if you are not competitively drag racing or pro solo with massive slicks. It's is much lighter than the e153, works with unmodified Toyota axles that actually have stronger inner CV joints than the e153 and there are tons of LSD options available as it uses the same model as the Spyder/Celica/Elise.

Price:
I am looking for $17,200 with the new gearbox installed
I am looking for $16,200 as-is.
I am pretty firm on the prices. (Note: The wheel/tire set is nearly new, and cost a fair bit).

Thanks,
Marco

PICS:

The car is super fast, sounds nice, has no leaks, has a nice modern engine, etc..

Get some Lotus Evora electronics, and you are very close to BAR legal swap.

http://youtu.be/ALTdmf2yqqQ?hd=1

http://youtu.be/kL3lm3mYr8g?hd=1

Note: old wheels in video (which are no longer available).

·
Registered
731 Posts
Beautiful car. Best of luck with the sale.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You hope you don't regret this?!

Sorry to see it's on the market, but this car is going to make someone really happy.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you selling?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You hope you don't regret this?!

Sorry to see it's on the market, but this car is going to make someone really happy.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you selling?
Getting a 2+2... kids are in our future, and I just need a little more utility... not a lot more, but more none the less.

The Spyder is a great sports car, I'd keep it I had the space/money to keep a fleet of cars. B)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
great car! does the ac/heater/vent fan work? 3rd gear grind you mean? interested..
Heater, vent, and HVAC controls work like stock.. but there is no AC.

I left the condenser and hoses hooked up... it's just a matter of either [A] using a 2GR AC compressor (if it fits)... or custom fitting the 1zz AC compressor (which should fit).

I live in a climate where the AC is really not needed, so I never bothered. FWIW, the windows defog perfectly fine and quickly without AC in my car.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
So sad to see this for sale. Kinda wishful thinking but i wish someone could buy it with the means to have the swap parts reproduced for those us of that dont have the ability to make them ourselves.

Car looks great BTW!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!! :lol: If I had not just spent 2 months and a good pile of cash dialing in my car, I would be on the first flight out there... Shit <_<

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Very nice. I like it. If I didn't have too many cars already, I might bite. Love the power rating.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Wanna trade for widebody? I love your car. I just need a bigger garage.

·
Registered
698 Posts
good luck with the sale! I know I would not let mine go for that cheap. We had a kid so I simple just bought a Jetta Wagon.

Marco, if you still have my number give me a call.

If not PM or facebook me and we can talk ;)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Contemplating between this or a 335i jb4... Is that tranny replacement easy to do? Just swap the belhousings right?
Yeah the gearbox would need my modified bell housing.

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
Gee. And people get excited about seeing a very low mileage - completely stock - car offered for sale at a couple of grand MORE than that.

You've impressed me a number of times with your knowledge and this looks "well sorted" as they say. I'd buy it - if I wanted another Spyder. I'd rather have this than any forced induction car, even with the no A/C problem (for Florida it would be a problem). I think xbiker should buy another one, though. LOL

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

FYI... I am going try and weigh it with corner scales next week.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts