MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do these numbers see right to you guys for my mods list? I think they are FAR to low.

Mods
PFC
JNZ DP catless
HKS exhaust
2zz Che swap header
MWR pulleys alternator and water pump
MWR stage 2 cams
PPE intake (I think)
* car has premium fuel already in it (if it matters)
Fidenza flywheel
Competition Clutch stage 2 clutch

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Who tuned the PFC?

The Chi header is not great but I am not sure you would lose 20-30hp.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
What kind of Dyno? Seems low to me. Especially since you have the PFC and and stage 2 MWR cams. Glad you got it done though.

I'll be running a similar setup (PFC, Piper Stage 2's and PPE intake) differences will be my exhaust (going to redo my Borla) D&D header (dont know if theres a difference between that and the CHE) and PPE Hi Flow cat. So this will be good to compare it to.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
CALLLL Gustavo Aka Redliner9K ASAP. He'll Give you 210whp No problem with your pretty hefty mod list.
These Numbers ARE NOT acceptable from MWR. Either Make them Fix it with New tune or ask for a refund!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
CALLLL Gustavo Aka Redliner9K ASAP. He'll Give you 210whp No problem with your pretty hefty mod list.
These Numbers ARE NOT acceptable from MWR. Either Make them Fix it with New tune or ask for a refund!
Ill pm him and this is what I thought. Jayspyder cars was dynoed at 174whp and my mods list is greater. Matt's justification is blaming not having a full PPE setup like Jay does. I on the other hand have cams, pulleys and catless.

If this isnt fixed, Im going to respectfully ask Matt to remove the cams that he installed and waive cam labor. Thats a extra $1,000 that odviously is doing no good.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I would think around 200whp with those mods. Something is strange. I dynoed 155whp with a stock 2zz, stock ECU, stock airbox, stock cat.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh to add insult this is a 30k Elise motor.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Oh to add insult this is a 30k Elise motor.
That means nothing, doesn't matter if it came from the lotus or celica.

I'm starting to believe dyno's less and less. I'd say take it to a strip and get some trap speeds and then you'll definitely know for sure how much RWHP your really putting down. No settings at the strip vs many many different settings on a dyno to produce whatever results.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the actual numbers as those can be skewed pretty easily. You should find out if something is wrong, a compression test would be step 1, along with a AFR graph. Checking for intake/exhaust leaks is another thing. Going to the drag strip is also not a bad idea as the trap speed doesn't lie.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
If you ignore the numbers, that's an awesome looking tune - very flat torque curve. Remove the stage II cams and it will suffer.

What kind of dyno does MWR use?

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
that was not included

no. I just looked at other 2zz swaps with less mods putting down more power. Plus in OH/MI area its been hovering around the 50s if this car really only has 162 Im worried about what heat is going to do to it.

http://vps2940.inmotionhosting.com/...esults-'00-spyder-with-2zz-swap-NOW-WITH-DYNO
A lot of 2zz dynos are from Church Automotive. They use a dyno that attaches to the HUB. It reads probably 10hp higher than other dynos.

I think it's a bad idea to install many mods on a car at the same time. It makes it hard to tell which mod made hp or lost hp because it wasn't made or installed correctly. You can't really compare different engines on different dynos with different tunes. It's best to get a baseline dyno before any mods on the actually dyno.

·
Registered
23,108 Posts
A lot of 2zz dynos are from Church Automotive. They use a dyno that attaches to the HUB. It reads probably 10hp higher than other dynos.

I think it's a bad idea to install many mods on a car at the same time. It makes it hard to tell which mod made hp or lost hp because it wasn't made or installed correctly. You can't really compare different engines on different dynos with different tunes. It's best to get a baseline dyno before any mods on the actually dyno.
I think this is the best way to go about it. Start off with a stock 2zz with ECU then add your modifications to see actual gains.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I think the problem is that your lift isn't working. If you look at most other 2zz dynos, the torque should spike up right where lift engages and peak torque usually happens around 6500-7000 rpm. The stage 2 cams are probably what's keeping the engine from falling on its face in the top RPMs. Did they remember to plug in the lift solenoid?

1 - 20 of 201 Posts